Random reboots / crashing

Axxidentprone

Reaction score
I upgraded to the Droid 3 on store release day from a Droid 1. I never had random reboots on the OG Droid, though it was miserably slow by this point.

The Droid 3 worked quite well for a few days, fast, reliable, no rebooting, etc. I installed a few apps that first day but did NOT sync my old apps to the new phone at all. Since my OG Droid's Wifi did not work at all, I did immediately try Wifi on the new phone and all was well. Since the last phone did not have any wifi settings saved, and I did not sync it, I did have to add authentication to any wifi network I joined on the new phone, and so I do not believe it to have been a corrupted settings file like some have suggested.

About a week after having the phone, the random reboots set in. I scoured these and other Droid/Android forums and most people concurred that it was the Wifi. I have since turned off Wifi, but yet the problems continue.

Like others, I have also noticed that the phone gets quite hot right before a reset. In fact, just today, while sitting in my office, my thigh began to get hot, so I pulled the phone out of my pocket, attempted to unlock it, and it reset immediately. I know that with standard desktop computers, overheating processors and RAM can cause spontaneous reboots. Some have it built in like a kill switch to prevent permanent damage to the hardware.

I would almost put money on the fact that its one of the many useless bloatware apps that they pre-install on the phone getting hung up in a process, as I have friends with Android 2.3 & 2.2 phones on Sprint and AT&T who do not have these issues.

The other thing that leads me to believe this is the case is that some other Android 2.2 (yes, 2.2, not 2.3) phones on Verizon have the same issues as the Droid 3. The Thunderbolt is the most notable of these, which comes pre-installed with much of the same crap bloatware as the Droid 3 (aside from the Motorola specific stuff). The Droid 2 and Droid X2 have some of the same issues as well, and I believe they are running 2.2.

I guess what I'm wondering is, is there a process/task manager/resource monitor/performance gauge that creates log files that may be of use to developers in locating this bug? If it could isolate the process that is causing the processor to overwork and then overheat and force a random reboot (if this is indeed what is happening), it may be a good way to find this obnoxious bug and put an end to it once and for all.

Thoughts?

sholmes

Reaction score
About a week after having the phone, the random reboots set in. I scoured these and other Droid/Android forums and most people concurred that it was the Wifi. I have since turned off Wifi, but yet the problems continue.

Like others, I have also noticed that the phone gets quite hot right before a reset. In fact, just today, while sitting in my office, my thigh began to get hot, so I pulled the phone out of my pocket, attempted to unlock it, and it reset immediately. I know that with standard desktop computers, overheating processors and RAM can cause spontaneous reboots. Some have it built in like a kill switch to prevent permanent damage to the hardware.

It's certainly possible there is another issue at hand. My phone has never overheated. I'd be curious to know if your uptime on your phone "Settings -> About Phone -> Status" and scroll to the bottom for the Up time. That will tell you if it's a software reboot or hardware reboot. If the latter, it's certainly a different problem than the one *I* was having. It may be similar to a problem others have.

I guess what I'm wondering is, is there a process/task manager/resource monitor/performance gauge that creates log files that may be of use to developers in locating this bug? If it could isolate the process that is causing the processor to overwork and then overheat and force a random reboot (if this is indeed what is happening), it may be a good way to find this obnoxious bug and put an end to it once and for all.

https://market.android.com/search?q=logcat

This seems to get high marks:

https://market.android.com/details?id=ccc71.pmw

Axxidentprone

Reaction score
It's certainly possible there is another issue at hand. My phone has never overheated. I'd be curious to know if your uptime on your phone "Settings -> About Phone -> Status" and scroll to the bottom for the Up time. That will tell you if it's a software reboot or hardware reboot. If the latter, it's certainly a different problem than the one *I* was having. It may be similar to a problem others have.

Interesting, my phone uptime does say 279 hours, though I've had multiple reboots over the last few days.

I'm downloading logcat and system tuner now and will see if I can get some logs from the next crash.

Thanks for your input!

Allstarj765

Reaction score
I have also experienced random reboots as well. Very frustrating but the past few days I haven't noticed any reboots so I believe that my phone has stopped randomly rebooting.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

diskman8004

Reaction score
All, somone in the forums mentioned that he was having the same reboots" that we've all been experiencing. He also mentioned that the original sd card contains folders that the new phone has so he removed those folders and hasn't had a reboot since. I did the same thing. I removed ".android_secure, LOST.DIR, Android, then in the DCIM folder I removed .thumbnails and 100ANDRO) I did this 51 hrs and 12 minutes ago. not one reboot. give it a try and see if this helps. I'll find the original poster to give them creds. :)

diskman8004

Reaction score
All, somone in the forums mentioned that he was having the same reboots" that we've all been experiencing. He also mentioned that the original sd card contains folders that the new phone has so he removed those folders and hasn't had a reboot since. I did the same thing. I removed ".android_secure, LOST.DIR, Android, then in the DCIM folder I removed .thumbnails and 100ANDRO) I did this 51 hrs and 12 minutes ago. not one reboot. give it a try and see if this helps. I'll find the original poster to give them creds. :)

All, sadly the phone reset 10 hours. It had been running for more the 60 hours without rebooting or resetting itself. clearly there is somthing causing these resets/reboots and removing those folders that i had mentioned earlier, didn't solve the issue. it doesn't reset as many times as before but i'm unable to isolate the problem. anyone have any other sugguestions

Jimbob88

Reaction score
I also have had a crash problem with my Droid 3, worked great the first day I got it, first smartphone I have ever had, then all of a sudden it froze up and crashed, I tried to pull the battery and put it back in for a hard reboot, and it did not turn back on at all, tried to charge it wouldn't even catch a charge. Basically called verizon and they are sending me a new one, hopefully it works better. Thought I would let you all know that problem and how maybe it could be linked to internal software? Ill keep you up to date on the new one if the same problem or problems listed occur (this all occurred in the matter of one day)

jenntas

Reaction score
I've had the same issues. Mine just keeps on rebooting over and over. I did a master reset 2 times already!! I didn't have these issues with my Droid X...I'm ready to exchange my Droid 3 for a Droid X 2! Any thoughts about whether this is a good idea? I actually miss my Droid X but it is nice having a keyboard...

sholmes

Reaction score
I've had the same issues. Mine just keeps on rebooting over and over. I did a master reset 2 times already!! I didn't have these issues with my Droid X...I'm ready to exchange my Droid 3 for a Droid X 2! Any thoughts about whether this is a good idea? I actually miss my Droid X but it is nice having a keyboard...

Have you tried the instructions to clear *only* the WiFi settings?

Also, I saw this post today indicating an OTA fix for the Droid X2 to fix random reboot issues:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/449300#449300

giallogiraffa

Reaction score
I've had my Droid 3 for about a month now. At first, it was totally smooth sailing--no reboots, no force-closes. A couple weeks in, however, it started doing the random reboots, and it's a fairly regular thing now. It happens at least once a day, sometimes several times. I've had it reboot after an application force-closes (the force-closes have also been happening more frequently, btw), when I'm in the middle of a text, and when it's just hanging out on the desk next to me. There doesn't really seem to be a rhyme/reason for it.

I've had random reboot problems on my 2 previous Verizon phones also (EnV Touch was the most recent one), so I wonder if it's a larger issue than just with this particular phone. I've heard a few people suggest that hardware updates are the cause of the reboots, but if that's the case, why isn't there a notification about the updates?

jtumminaro

Reaction score
Droid 3 Reboots often

I have had my Droid 3 for about 3 weeks. I am experiencing reboots (often) that seem to go away when WiFi is turned off. With WiFi on, whenever there is a WiFi interuption or a new WiFi comes within range, the phone resets. This can happen 20 times a day. It never happens with WiFi off. Is anybody else experiencing this issue?

meowrissa

Reaction score
I am brand new to the DROID family, and have had the phone for about 2 weeks. It has rebooted itself 3 times and required a battery pull once. The first 2 times I was playing words with friends and on a website, the last time it was locked and just did it on its own. The battery pull occurred while using the camera. I do not have an excessive amount of apps, no launcher that im aware of, and its not synced to anything. The last reboot happened yesterday, although I did not notice any issues today. Also the phone gets extremely hot while charging, this time it didn't even hold the charge. As a new DROID I find this very disheartening and im not sure what to do about it.

Johnnyb

Reaction score
I am brand new to the DROID family, and have had the phone for about 2 weeks. It has rebooted itself 3 times and required a battery pull once. The first 2 times I was playing words with friends and on a website, the last time it was locked and just did it on its own. The battery pull occurred while using the camera. I do not have an excessive amount of apps, no launcher that im aware of, and its not synced to anything. The last reboot happened yesterday, although I did not notice any issues today. Also the phone gets extremely hot while charging, this time it didn't even hold the charge. As a new DROID I find this very disheartening and im not sure what to do about it.

You've come to the right place. You can read through some of the threads on this site (and others) you'll find issues around sync with your Google account and/or wifi. What you might want to try (although it is a bit of a hastle, it worked for me) is doing a factory reset then, when you come back to entering your Google credentials uncheck the box that keeps google in sync and automatically downloads your applications and settings. This almost completely resolved the rebooting issue for me.

Other than that we'll have to wait for a patch from the big V. Frankly, now that we've got root, I'm betting someone will be able to handle this with a very stable ROM. That's likely to be a few more weeks away...maybe a couple of months.

jtumminaro

Reaction score
I have had similar issues. My phone was rebooting 3 times a day ...

You've come to the right place. You can read through some of the threads on this site (and others) you'll find issues around sync with your Google account and/or wifi. What you might want to try (although it is a bit of a hastle, it worked for me) is doing a factory reset then, when you come back to entering your Google credentials uncheck the box that keeps google in sync and automatically downloads your applications and settings. This almost completely resolved the rebooting issue for me.

Other than that we'll have to wait for a patch from the big V. Frankly, now that we've got root, I'm betting someone will be able to handle this with a very stable ROM. That's likely to be a few more weeks away...maybe a couple of months.

I noticed that this would happen only when WiFi was turned on. Motorola said to try a factory reset but rather than spend a day re-setting up my phone, I tried clearing all rememberd WiFi connections and the problem went away. Looks like the WiFi list may have been corrupted or they have a software bug.

Hope This Helps.