Questions about rooting

OP
R
Reaction score
well, i was pretty excited at first, but ive already got Wireless Tether, i bought SetCPU, and i got a screen shot app, and i think that's all there is to do. I'm not interested in getting a custom ROM, partly because i don't know whats so great about them and partly because im afraid of destroying my phone.

So, aside from custom ROMs, what else is there to do now that I'm rooted?

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of pros to installing new ROMs and messing up your phone is unlikely. Even if you did you just simply restore your phone. But other than ROMs there are kernels, custom boot animations, lots of possibilities

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
R
Reaction score
The thing is i probably value my personal information FAR more than the average person does. So yes, i guess i could restore it if i had to, but i don't want to lose the stuff on my phone under any circumstances.

what are kernals?

and by custom boot animation, do you mean the droid eye? why would you want to replace that boot animation? it's awesome

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I know how you feel though. I'm not currently running a custom rom but as you go deeper down the rabbit hole you may find its right for you. Well you could also consider applying a theme to more personalize your phone. I have 928droid black glass x.
46c353c4-9375-90d2.jpg

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well your applications will be restored, not always all but most. Pics and things of that nature are on the SD Card. Bookmarks you'll lose. What personal information are you referring to exactly?

Kernels, if applied right, I believe increase the speed of your phone and allow for better overclocking, etc.

True, it is. But there are many other great ones as well and sometimes you get a little tired of seeing the same one over and over so it's nice to be able to watch something different. It's nice just having the option of changing available, even if you don't use it

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Themes appear in the droid 2 roms sub forum. I have a nandroid backup of my phone totally stock incase there is an ota.

OP
R
Reaction score
off the top of my head i can think of text and picture messages. im sure there's more but i can't remember, im sure id definitely find out if i ever accidentally wiped my phone. so what is all this talk about the droid x and droid 2 having this locked bootloader? If they unlock it, what happens? what's so good about it?

OP
R
Reaction score
Themes appear in the droid 2 roms sub forum. I have a nandroid backup of my phone totally stock incase there is an ota.

i forgot to make a backup for my phone before i rooted it. do you think i should unroot, backup, then root again? im only gonna be downloading and using root applications from the android market

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
I understand. I'm sure there is a way to back that up but I'm not sure. And I don't know anything about the Droid 2 or X. I have the original

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you use Handcent SMS then you can backup your messages. I prefer it over stock and chomp. Can also backup your Handcent settings

OP
R
Reaction score
I've tried those other txt apps, I don't know what it is about handcent but I just despise the user interface, it doesn't look very appealing. As for chomp, I forgot what it was that I didn't like about it. I like the features that the two apps give u compared to the stock txting app, but I prefer the look and feel of the stock app over the other two.

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
I understand. Everyone has their preferences. I'm not trying to push you to getting Handcent, I'm just throwing this out there in case you ever did want to install a ROM. Just an option. Before you installed a ROM, you could download Handcent, back up your messages, and once you install the new ROM and it works properly, you can import your messages and they would be on the stock messaging because they are linked together. Then delete Handcent or whatever. Like I said, just throwing options out there

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sorry I fell out od the convo I passed out at about 1 am lol. Anyway op no you don't need to do a nandroid backup of the phone before root but you should do one before adding any roms or themes. That way if you need to send the phone back to verizon or receive an ota you can flash back to stock and remove root if the situation requires so.

As for backups if you buy titanium backup from the marketplace. It backs up all of that stuff as far as I remember. The only thing I'm hazy about is the sms, but I think it does that too. So what you would do is do a titanium backup just before adding theme or rom and then restore that info on startup.

Basically a nandroid saves a system image and titanium saves everything else.