Question about uninstalling Bootstrapper

Phishnvdub

Reaction score
Hi guys, I want to uninstall bootstrapper and have a couple questions before I do it. I am rooted with Z4 and the stock rom and do not need bootstrapper for the apps I use with root. I do not plan on installing any custom roms and want to be able to unroot easily with Z4. I installed this app thinking I may want to try other roms but decided not to yet. I also may be bringing this phone to Verizon for issues not related to root and don't want to have any warranty issues. I read some instructions about uninstalling then rebooting typing the run adb shell commands. My question is, after I uninstall and reboot, will a screen come up where I type the run commands? Sorry if this is a completely stupid question. I am a noob learning as I go. Thanks for any input, its appreciated.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Hi guys, I want to uninstall bootstrapper and have a couple questions before I do it. I am rooted with Z4 and the stock rom and do not need bootstrapper for the apps I use with root. I do not plan on installing any custom roms and want to be able to unroot easily with Z4. I installed this app thinking I may want to try other roms but decided not to yet. I also may be bringing this phone to Verizon for issues not related to root and don't want to have any warranty issues. I read some instructions about uninstalling then rebooting typing the run adb shell commands. My question is, after I uninstall and reboot, will a screen come up where I type the run commands? Sorry if this is a completely stupid question. I am a noob learning as I go. Thanks for any input, its appreciated.

Well, I am so new at this that I am still shiny, but why do you want to uninstall the Droid 2 bootstrapper? If you do need it in the future, you will have it, although since you paid for it, I guess, you could go back to the app store and reinstall it.

But still, I do not think having the app on your phone will prevent you from using Z4 to get un-rooted. There is an much cautious advice on this forum about using Z4 in the first place.

Frankly, I would suggest that you use the Bootstrapper to back up your "stock" apps and OS as a backup to the Z4 thing. Then you could always use the bootstrapper to get you back to stock, should you have to take your phone to Big Red for some reason. Having an app on your phone should not negate your/our warranty. If so than Z4 would disqualify us too.

To be clear, if for some reason using Z4 did not get you un-rooted, you could always use the bootstrapper to accomplish this task, if you back up right after rooting.

Ooops, Using bootstrapper will not get you un-rooted, it mearly gets you back to stock condition in case you have uninstalled some of the original aps. If Z4 does not un-root you, you could use one of the un-root methods listed on the forums after you "restore" from your bootstrapper backup file.

I am unclear about you questions on the "run" commands. That is done on your computer and you have to have the Android SDK to use these ADB run commands and the shell. You can download the the "emulator" onto your phone and do some things, but not anything we are talking about here. Since you used Z4 to root, you probably do not have the SDK on your computer. That means you have a lot to learn yet. Welcome to the Android Newbe club.

Last edited:
OP
P

Phishnvdub

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and info. I guess I wanted to uninstall bootstrapper because I was worried that if I unroot with Z4 and go back to stock with this still installed my phone may not work correctly as this is a root only app. Also under the impression that this being installed may void my warranty if I have Verizon check it out. If I can unroot and not have warranty issues I will keep it installed. I mainly use root for TI back up and wireless tether. I also have not uninstalled any of the stock apps, just used Titanium to freeze them.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Well, if you did have to take the phone back, you could use Titanium to back Z4 and Bootstrapper up, then uninstall them with Titanium. That way the will not be in your app drawer when you take it into Big Red.

As far as having root only apps on an un-rooted phone, they won't mess anything up, they will just say they can not get "root permission, Press OK", should you try to use them.

It is actually a pain to root and un-root and I have heard that Mfgrs and Providers do it for out protection. At least they know that if the USER roots, they most likely will be careful; whereas, they would be overwhelmed with "broken phones" because no one would go to the forums to learn.