1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Question about Rooted phones and OTA updates.

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 2 Development' started by Martinkrisuk, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Martinkrisuk

Martinkrisuk New Member

I did some research on this forum as well as others, and I am getting mixed answers. I am not running a custom rom, but I am rooted, (for the purpose of backing up paid apps, and clocking, etc). My question is: Will I get the new update, and be able to pull it with the root and stock rom? Or will I need to go and unroot my phone like before?

Thanks for your help

edit: thanks I found this answer 5 min after I posted this! Thanks guys!
  2. markml0528

markml0528 New Member

You will get the new update, rooting does not prevent you from getting the OTA update. I rooted my phone, only for the purpose of Wireless Tethering and screen shots, I left everything else untouched. My phone didn't alert me to an update, all I had to do was hit settings, about phone, and i clicked update and it said there was one available. I downloaded it and installed it with zero problems whatsoever.

Keep in mind though, the OTA update will remove your root access. Just re root it later.