Droid 2 rooted brick risk?

RSP

Reaction score
So I rooted my droid 2, but mainly just for the things like wireless tethering and overclocking. All that silly little rom things just don't seem like a good reason for rooting a droid, asthetic purposes don't phase me. So my questions is: am I at any aignificant risk right now of bricking my phone, just with It being rooted and not loading any roms on it whatsoever?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

mobile_sensei

Team Liberty
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
If you're that inexperienced yes. Those silly little Tom things are what make you phone work. Its the operating system . The changing in colors, etc is known as a theme. Your stock Tom would be say windows 98, where as a custom ROM like liberty is like windows 7. Having root access & not knowing what's up is a dangerous combination....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
R

RSP

Reaction score
I am quite" experienced" as you say. I work as a software engineer and work on a linux platform. My home server also runs on debian linux, and im quite aware of how the operating system works. What I was trying to say is that themes don't seem significant to me, and just asthetic purposes in general don't seem significant. and I don't think that what you said about a rom being the os is true. I just started on android so I can be wrong though. Does the rom physically alter the linux kernel? I don't think so... and winxp ran fat32 filesystem whereas win 7 runs ntfs. Do roms alter the filesystem of the android os? I think not. It seems to me that all roms do is make it look pretty...

Firewing

Reaction score
in northern cali, where the desert and the mountai
I am quite" experienced" as you say. I work as a software engineer and work on a linux platform. My home server also runs on debian linux, and im quite aware of how the operating system works. What I was trying to say is that themes don't seem significant to me, and just asthetic purposes in general don't seem significant. and I don't think that what you said about a rom being the os is true. I just started on android so I can be wrong though. Does the rom physically alter the linux kernel? I don't think so... and winxp ran fat32 filesystem whereas win 7 runs ntfs. Do roms alter the filesystem of the android os? I think not. It seems to me that all roms do is make it look pretty...

I could be wrong,but roms allow you to add a custom kernal,and they are a new os , the theme is what is aesthetic

Sent from where the mountains meet the desert

OP
R

RSP

Reaction score
Im not sure about the kernel and new os thing, but I was saying that asthetic things like the theme for example doesn't seem significant to me.

Firewing

Reaction score
Im not sure about the kernel and new os thing, but I was saying that asthetic things like the theme for example doesn't seem significant to me.

On a d2 I don't think you can change kernals,but I could be wrong...and you can run roms stock with no theme

OP
R

RSP

Reaction score
Oh, I didn't know that, than you. Also is there any centralized database per say or server or site to download roms? Or are they all just scattered among forums? Like where do I download them?

OP
R

RSP

Reaction score
Lol someone should really make a centralized website where people can download roms from, like with updates and different versions and things. But thanks for the help. And what other features are avaiable from flashing a rom?

Firewing

Reaction score
Lol someone should really make a centralized website where people can download roms from, like with updates and different versions and things. But thanks for the help. And what other features are avaiable from flashing a rom?

It really varies from rom to rom, for example with the rom I use now I can get rid of system apps I never use, can overclock my processor ( that is the custom kernal as well) , install my apps to my SD card( on a d1 I only have 200 something ram,so that is nice)there is so much more...I am hoping someone with a rooted d2 comes and joins the discussion

OP
R

RSP

Reaction score
Yea, I've gotta pack it in for the night, but ill pick up with it tomorrow. Goodnight and god bless.

want a droid

Reaction score
You can find links to the lists of all available roms and themes for the Droid2 in my signature.

Roms on the Droid2 are mostly for aesthetic purposes. You can't do much without a custom kernal. Droid2 Rom Developers have been able to add a "Reboot" option into the Power Down menu. There are also transition animations that can be implemented as well as being able to change the pull down menu text (default: Verizon Wireless) to whatever you like.