Question for Droid2 owners; will you root

danwanna

Reaction score
Rooting and unrooting is really pretty easy. I rooted mine 2 days after I got it but decided to unroot and run stock for a while. The process looks pretty intimidating, but if you can follow a recipe in the kitchen you should be able to follow the directions to root or unroot.

I am certain that I will break down and root again at some point, but as of now, there isn't anything really compelling enough to make me do it again. It is kind of liberating not to have the ability to tinker with my phone all the time. :)

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Rooting and unrooting is really pretty easy. I rooted mine 2 days after I got it but decided to unroot and run stock for a while. The process looks pretty intimidating, but if you can follow a recipe in the kitchen you should be able to follow the directions to root or unroot.

I am certain that I will break down and root again at some point, but as of now, there isn't anything really compelling enough to make me do it again. It is kind of liberating not to have the ability to tinker with my phone all the time. :)

That's showing self-control...you clearly don't belong here. ;)

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Already someone has come up with a way to root your D2 without using a computer.

Seriously? That was fast. Guess I need to go search the web for it.

It's a pain...you have to type all the commands in the terminal program on the device...much nicer to copy/paste them from the instructions into a dos window on your PC (assuming you have a PC).

It does save having to install the android SDK and droid drivers, but having those installed is a good thing to have once you're rooted.

pool_shark

Reaction score
It's a pain...you have to type all the commands in the terminal program on the device...much nicer to copy/paste them from the instructions into a dos window on your PC (assuming you have a PC).

I disagree, it was very easy, took all of about 5 minutes.
I am very comfortable with the command line though.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

I disagree, it was very easy, took all of about 5 minutes.
I am very comfortable with the command line though.

<ick>

To each his own. :)

Andryna

Reaction score
I don't plan to root - I'm not an advanced user and the stock version works perfect for me.dancedroid

trook

Reaction score
I rooted very quickly and easily. I can always unroot and if I happen to do some damage I always have rsd lite. I rooted mainly for pleasure, using root apps and roms is great. Its like getting a software update whenever I want. Don't be scared to root, theres plenty of cool and smart people in these forums that can and will help you with any problem you may ever have.

DAVID2010

Reaction score
I had a general question for all you droid2 owners; will you ever root? We've heard from all the droid1 owners that have rooted. I simply don't have the desire to root even though I have statistical analyses to do for my thesis so of course it would help speed up calculations and other apps for gaming and fun. But choosing a right rooting system or rom specifications as well as making sure it would work gives me a headache just thinking about. In no way am I condemning those that do choose to root their devices. Just curious if the D2 owners want to root and if so why, is it business, pleasure, or both? dancedroid

Many of us already. I did it because there are apps/functionality only available by rooting, such as taking screenshots. Sure you can use the long PC method, but I'd rather have an app.
I also like the Unix command line.

I didn't Android devices needed to be Rooted to do screenshots. Must be one of the few things iOS can do that Android cannot.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I had a general question for all you droid2 owners; will you ever root? We've heard from all the droid1 owners that have rooted. I simply don't have the desire to root even though I have statistical analyses to do for my thesis so of course it would help speed up calculations and other apps for gaming and fun. But choosing a right rooting system or rom specifications as well as making sure it would work gives me a headache just thinking about. In no way am I condemning those that do choose to root their devices. Just curious if the D2 owners want to root and if so why, is it business, pleasure, or both? dancedroid

Many of us already. I did it because there are apps/functionality only available by rooting, such as taking screenshots. Sure you can use the long PC method, but I'd rather have an app.
I also like the Unix command line.

I didn't Android devices needed to be Rooted to do screenshots. Must be one of the few things iOS can do that Android cannot.

Windows Mobile and Palm OS could do it too.
All the screenshot apps in the market say you have to be rooted.

I believe you can do screen shots with launcher pro without being rooted.

I don't see anything in Launcher Pro that takes screenshots.