Yet another rooting question...Sorry

Reaction score
Rooting isn't risky at all. Be aware that all root methods use the same exploit, and sometimes they don't work on the first try. Sometimes they take 2 or 3 tries, so don't freak out if your phone hangs. Just restart the phone and try again. Z4Root is the only root app you need. Just google it, and you'll find a thread on xda developers about it, with a link to download it. It's a one click root, and it has a one click un-root, as well. You want the permanent root option, temporary root goes away when you reboot, and has been known to not function properly for some people.

OP
F

Fera6037

Reaction score
alright ive seen something on z4root before, ive also seen another one called DORoot. is z4root better than doroot?

also, is there a place where i can actually view different aspects of the roms available? i checked out the thread on here which lists them all but they dont have many pictures or previews.

Thanks for all of the help

chrstdvd

Reaction score
I have been rooted for a long time. About the only thing I do with root is use the wired tether app, Easy Tether and being rooted allows me to be able to use Root Explorer, Titanium Backup, the Terminal Emulator, and a few other apps that require the phone to be rooted.

I have Droid2 Bootstrapper which I use to make backups of my phone about once a week. That way if I screw up, I can restore the phone without having to flash the SBF to bet the phone back to the way it was on day one. It is much easier to Restore than flash.

I use Launcher pro plus for all the reasons that have mentioned in this thread. I really like the dock options the best. I have Live Home on the phone also and it is set up exactly like Launcher pro screen wise, except there are no dock options on Live Home that I can find yet. Live Home has very cool screen transitions, like turning a page in a book or the cubed transition that looks like you are turning a "block" from side to side, screen to screen. I wish that feature was in Launcher pro.

Launchers are varied and many and not one of them has all the features the you like in one package, but they have themes and icon packs you can download and work with.

ROM's? They have been explained to me as the engine under the hood, the operating system. As yet, I have not figured out why I need a different operating system or engine. That is, what specific benefit I would be getting by changing. The only thing I can "see" are the few pictures or screen shots of the ROM's, and I can find themes that look the same, so I feel no need to change.

As far as ROM's making battery life better and the phone faster, I get good battery life now and I do not think a different operation system is going to make the internet load any faster than it does now. Internet is the only thing I want to be fast.

As far as the bloat. Once you learn how Android is designed to work then you are not to concerned with the bloat because it will not slow the phone down or hog memory as so often cited in the forums. I am sure if you play games that require lots of resources, then yes, you might want a ROM that free's up RAM and tinkers with clock speeds.

OP
F

Fera6037

Reaction score
see thats also what im not really sure about. what all do roms have to offer? and what differs between roms besides looks? and also is there a place where i can view different aspects of the roms so i can make a decision on which one i want before i use them? the page on this forum doesnt really give a good look at the roms.

OP
F

Fera6037

Reaction score
ok so could i get a detailed step by step of what to do to root and flash a rom to my phone? even just a link

also if someone could explain a little better what i would need to do to ensure i dont brick my phone please. Ive seen different bits and pieces about nandroid back up or titanium back up and a bootloader backup.. i just need some light shed upon the subject of what goes wrong to brick a phone and what i need to do to prevent that.

thanks for all the help

Last edited:
OP
F

Fera6037

Reaction score
bump.. sorry almost done with this, just gotta iron out a few more things. im having a tough time deciding to root or not..