pros and cons of rooting

Reaction score
hi there, i have read alot about rooting and am curious about it with the droid 1. what are the pros and cons of doing it. what can i benefit from doing it to my phone, ( how badass can i make my phone)

thanks for the input

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Pros: Name it!
-Unlimited customization
-Overclocking/underclocking
-Custom ROMs
-Custom themes (full ROM and apps)
-Access to literally everything on your phone.
Just to name a few.

Cons:
-Multiple "bricks" due to lack of research (especially with "one-click" root apps)

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
Forcedbyhatred
Reaction score
so wher would be the best place to find some of the roms and such to look at to see if i wanna do this or not lol ( i have some time on my hands )

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
With the Original Droid there really are no Con's - the device is virtually unbrickable and I see you have been a Member since December of 2009 so my guess is that your factory warranty is up and you no longer have to worry about voiding it -

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can make your phone twice as fast as it is now (if not faster!) by overclocking. You can achieve better battery life by underclocking when screen is off, etc.

You can change the look of the interface of your phone completely via themes, etc.

Each Rom has different options and tweaks that stock doesn't have.

If you do root and overclock please read thread "overclocking 101" and always have a nandroid backup of your rooted phone in a good state, at all times.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have to take issue with what my friend Droid Does says about multiple bricks. I think since I've been with the Forum I know of 2, maybe 3 people who truly bricked their Droid and those are Devs, so you can kind of understand how that can happen.

Brick means the phone is dead. Won't turn on, just a paperweight.

The true risk that's involved is that it does void your warranty. But your chances of getting caught are 100 to 1 against it if not higher.

As far as ROM's go, we have a whole section of Dev's with different ROM'S. I'm rooted but do not run a custom ROM. So no recommendations from me.

OP
Forcedbyhatred
Reaction score
that sounds really cool and i was looking at some of the roms from the link, i am gonna have to try it out. i can find the link on the forums somewhere for the rooting directions correct?

thanks everyone

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sorry! "Bricks" was supposed to be in quotes. As in, more "I bricked my phone!! Please HELP!!" threads as of late (at least to me, it seems). 99% of the time, its just a bootloop. Sorry for the confusion..

I have to take issue with what my friend Droid Does says about multiple bricks. I think since I've been with the Forum I know of 2, maybe 3 people who truly bricked their Droid and those are Devs, so you can kind of understand how that can happen.

Brick means the phone is dead. Won't turn on, just a paperweight.

The true risk that's involved is that it does void your warranty. But your chances of getting caught are 100 to 1 against it if not higher.

As far as ROM's go, we have a whole section of Dev's with different ROM'S. I'm rooted but do not run a custom ROM. So no recommendations from me.

DroidForums junkie!!

thinkmega

Reaction score
Pros:
Unlimited customization;
Performance tuning;

Cons:
You are going to spend a lot more time on the phone. You are going to struggle with different temptations and your satisfaction may vary.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes boot loop does not mean bricked. You can fix a boot loop.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes boot loop does not mean bricked. You can fix a boot loop.

I got stuck at the M last night. Just sitting there. Battery pull and stuck at the M. Then for no reason it just started booting up. Weird.

I guess I should add that I was doing a restore to the current OS for D2 and did not do a wipe.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had like a 20 minute m logo one time because I believe I lost recovery. I plugged into charger and it eventually booted on its own. Never have had it happen again.