Pros and cons of rooting your Bionic

jruelas

Reaction score
Hello all. I recently got the Bionic. Its an amazing upgrade from the Eris I had before. Now the question is should I root or not? I have heard mixed reviews and wanted to weight the pros and cons with other Bionic users. Thanks for your honest input.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

andlamv

Reaction score
Any other info besides that?

OP
J

jruelas

Reaction score
Lol thanks, but i was hoping for more pros and cons. ie.. it will run faster. It could damage the memory. Ect...

hybrdthry911

Reaction score
Some backup programs require root, i wanted to use my ps3 controllers with a few emulators i use which require rooting, freezing apps i think requires a root for titanium. Running the webtop through any hdmi was a big plus for rooting. This allows you to use any monitor with hdmi of course or dvi adapter to be used as a webtop screen instead of purchasing the lapdock. the droid screen serves as a touchpad and keyboard, or you could get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse as an alternative. I'm sure there are many more reasons.

OP
J

jruelas

Reaction score
Thanks. Sounds like a good thing, but i not many cons other then voiding the warranty. Anyone know of any other major cons of rooting?

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rooting is easy. Its the other things that root allows that can cause issues. If you delete system apps it may cause other issues. Flashing a ROM for a different system version can cause a soft brick, etc. Just always read twice and flash once. Most people who have problems don't follow directions.

wseyller

Reaction score
Thanks. Sounds like a good thing, but i not many cons other then voiding the warranty. Anyone know of any other major cons of rooting?

There are no other cons except for when/if a person that does the rooting doesn't know what they are doing and cause their own problem. Rooting itself just elevates the file permissions. That is it. Those extra permissions then give you a choice of what you can do to your phone. Those choices could be bad if you do something wrong or something you are not supposed to do. Even then, there is a fail safe to overcome the worst of problems which is to reflash back to stock using resources available on this forum.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As stated the biggest pro is that you can absolutely make the phone exactly the way you want it - no blur, no bloatware, rum roms, use apps that require root (Titanium Backup, etc.), modify the notification bar (battery icons, battery single digit meters, etc.).

The biggest con is that you may make a modification (usually deleting system apks, instead of renaming or moving or freezing) and really borking your phone. However, since the implementation of One-Click Fastboot Restore system (One-Click Fastboot Restore to recover from bootloop or softbrick - xda-developers ), recovery is now a pretty simply matter.

If you decide to do it, read everything you can find and then read some more. You need to understand these processes. Read all you can find about 1) Rooting, 2) Bootstrapper, 3) Clockwork, 4) Making frequent backups with Clockwork, 5) Removing bloat, 6) roms and other system modifications.

That's all I can think of right now (it's early and my brain hurts). Good luck.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a question. I'm new to bionic and I see there is not very many roms yet. Anything with a rotary lockscreen or drop down power widget? I tried widgetsoid but it's not the same.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
^BTW those 2 things I mentioned were part of why I rooted and loved roms. Overclocking and also having control of system apps is a big plus. Being able to flash themes is pretty cool too.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have a question. I'm new to bionic and I see there is not very many roms yet. Anything with a rotary lockscreen or drop down power widget? I tried widgetsoid but it's not the same.

[R3]Blurr3d 1.7 has the drop down power widget, but not the rotary lockscreen. It's a great rom so far and he's updating it frequently.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
[R3]Blurr3d 1.7 has the drop down power widget, but not the rotary lockscreen. It's a great rom so far and he's updating it frequently.
Thanks, I'll have to look into that. I'm still not rooted yet but thinking about it.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Liberty has both, rotary lock and drop down menus - and its blazing fast

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Liberty has both, rotary lock and drop down menus - and its blazing fast

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll have to look into that as well. When I looked into the rom section, Theory was the only one I saw.