G

Gryffen Spark

Reaction score
Thanks that was really helpful

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

chaaaad

Reaction score
Cons:

Technically you are voiding the warranty on your phone after you root it. People say that Verizon usually accepts your phone back anyway as long as rooting it doesn't cause it to break. Which leads me to my next point...

It is possible to "brick" your phone, although I've never heard of someone actually causing damage that can't be fixed. There are tons of guides on these forums and people to help you with step by step instructions to make sure that nothing bad happens. However everyone will tell you that there is a very small chance of something terribly wrong happening, even if you are to follow everything word for word.

Long story short: if you are fairly competent with computers and can follow step by step instructions, none of this will be hard for you. Just keep in mind that there is always a possibility of something going wrong.

rocketpod23

Reaction score
So let me be sure I have this straight. Cons are the possibility of destroying your new X (bummer), and pros are apparently the ability to time travel. Do I have this right?

To the OP, I am new to the X, but not new to smart phones or PC. My opinion is if it ain't broke don't fix it. The X is an awesome phone, by no means everything I want, but still awesome. If there were some obvious limitation that could be resolved or some revolutionary capability like say... free phone calls, yeah I would say root.

Last edited:

kevinkar

Reaction score
Eliminate "Bloat"...., Need for Speed
Believe it or not, I bought NFS Shift over Christmas when it was on sale for just $1 and it was actually a lot of fun to play. It looked great on the DX screen, the accelerometer controls worked really well, the sound was well done, and the differences between all the possible car choices were definitely significant in game play.

So, at first, I though it was bloat too but, after spending a whole dollar on it, I found out it's a very good demonstrator for the phone and was a lot of fun to play. I also bought The Sims for $1 and that's not bad either. Plays just like the PC version or very close to it.

One man's bloat is another man's weeks of fun for a dollar!

I'll never play Madden, will likely never use the Blockbuster app, doubt there's a need for using City ID or Latitude so there's definitely some stuff that can be removed or should at least be hidden in the app drawer. So rooting would help there.

Mule65

Reaction score
Aren't rooted phones more troublesome with system updates?

chaaaad

Reaction score

Yes, but most rom developers will put the system updates in their roms. If you REALLY want the update the day it comes out you could always SBF your phone. Just be aware that this will make your phone the same as it was the day you took it out of the box.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Wouldn't really say "troublesome"...just can't update if all of the bloatware isn't there. Most custom ROMs are better than the stock updates that roll out anyway :)

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning