Rooting pros and cons

Gryffen Spark

Reaction score
Could someone list all the pros and cons of rooting a droid x? I'm not sure if its really worth it or not.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What are you wanting to do once rooted?

Message delivered via a Bolt of lightning

OP
G

Gryffen Spark

Reaction score
That's what I'm trying to find out. What really are the differences between rooting or leaving it as a stock phone?

OP
G

Gryffen Spark

Reaction score
Wow! That's exciting! I'm glad you think everyone who seems like a noob with a droid is naive.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
He was just being funny....or not. :)
Not like OTR to be disrespectful.

Wow! That's exciting! I'm glad you think everyone who seems like a noob with a droid is naive.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
OP
G

Gryffen Spark

Reaction score
ya I know. I can't help being one of those sarcastic guys. I know what rooting does, my question was more linked to what do people want to really achieve with rooting and what additional benefits are there for rooted phones and the users?

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
ya I know. I can't help being one of those sarcastic guys. I know what rooting does, my question was more linked to what do people want to really achieve with rooting and what additional benefits are there for rooted phones and the users?

Rooting offers a bit more customization for you. You can remove any bloatware that was preinstalled on the phone you don't like. You can add custom rom's which basically give you some cool features that don't come stock with the phone. It is a lot to take in at first but just read through the forums and ask whatever questions you have. Honestly the people here are super cool and will help with whatever we can.

OP
G

Gryffen Spark

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the help and your candor.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
We like to have fun here :)
Sorry if we were offensive.
That link tells you pros and cons as well as what root is, that's why I shared it.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Its like suping up a car with aftermarket parts...make it faster, nicer, etc

chaaaad

Reaction score
Eliminate "Bloat"
This is all the stock junk that Motorola puts on your phone such as Blockbuster, Kindle, Need for Speed, etc. Many people believe that by removing this you will see small increases in performance.

Root Apps
Take screen shots, get rid of ads, do full system backups, use a terminal emulator... there are really tons of things you can now do with your phone after you root.

Overclocking/Underclocking
After rooting your phone you have control over your processor speed and even the voltage used to power your phone. This means that, in theory, you can increase your device's performance and decrease the amount of battery used.

Custom Roms
After you feel comfortable with "hacking" your phone a little bit, it's time to move on to the good stuff- roms! Many roms provide speed, performance, and eye candy. Think of this as a different operating system for your phone- like going from Windows XP to Windows 7. Liberty is a very popular one around here for the X.

We're a growing community that only wants to help you out. Don't feel scared to ask!