pros and cons of rooting

OP
Forcedbyhatred
Reaction score
well i went thru with it and now i tried to flash the new ultimate droid 2.5.0 rom and now i think i am stuck in a boot loop nothing is happening, any ideas

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
you need to boot into recovery manually by holding power button and x. If it doesnt work pull battery out and then hold power button and x, while putting battery back in. See if this gets you into recovery. If you get into recovery go to nandroid and restore a backup.

Were you sure you were rooted with superuser and clockwork mod before you tried to flashing the rom? When you rooted did you make your first nandroid backup? How did you try to install the rom? Also UD 2.5 should be a zip file that is 87.77 M, did it download in its entirety?

OP
Forcedbyhatred
Reaction score
i did the rooting from the directions give in the link posted earlier. i made a nandroid back up.
i made the ultimate droid zip file "update.zip" and installed it from teh recovery menu the update.zip ( depreicated ) thing.
and it was the full file of it. i am sure i screwed up some where though. gotta love a beginner lol

thats what i had done.
luckily i was able to get to the back up and got it back and up running but not withthe rom

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
i did the rooting from the directions give in the link posted earlier. i made a nandroid back up.
i made the ultimate droid zip file "update.zip" and installed it from teh recovery menu the update.zip ( depreicated ) thing.

thats what i had done.
luckily i was able to get to the back up and got it back and up running but not withthe rom

Make sure the file size of UD is 87.77 M. You don't have 2 zip extensions on the end of the ud file correct (update.zip.zip)? Let me see what else I can figure out here...

OP
Forcedbyhatred
Reaction score
i just double checked it is 87.7 and i did the right click rename and just update. so no on the double .zip

so im not really sure

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Do you have the superuser app on your phone? Are you sure the root took? Did you do "Allow update.zip" before you did “Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)”?

Choose “Install”.
Choose “Allow update.zip installation”.
Choose “Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)”.
Reboot

OP
Forcedbyhatred
Reaction score
Yes. I checked it with titanium back up app. Like the directions said to make sure. And it asked for su permissions. And I did both sd things as well.
Where my boot loop was stuck was it would show the M then show the Droid logo. Them a new "eye" screen. Then would just keep going to the Droid logo to the eye repeatedly. That's why I'm baffled.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
The file update.zip is on the root of your sd card (not in any folder) right? Re-download UD 2.5 and try again. If not try a different rom. Let me know if it works. I am using UD 2.5 but Liquid and Project Elite are also good. I think you are doing it correctly but something may have happened when you downloaded the rom. Also my phone is setup for clockwork mod recovery, which is different than the sp recovery you are using. I should be able to help though. If anyone has any ideas please jump in.

sikbrik

Reaction score
this may not help, but I had a similar issue on my D2 with my first "rom". I cleared data and cache and the bootloop stopped. Could be a conflict there?

OP
Forcedbyhatred
Reaction score
hi there i left it alone until today. i went and redownloaded and this time i also wiped befor ei installed and it seem that i have it going now. thank you for all the help and everything thru this

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am glad it is working! You may want to make another nandroid backup called ud 2.5, so you can revert back to it in the future if you need to (in case you change roms). Also themes can be installed right over roms without wiping but they have to be for that specific rom and rom version. Have fun!

ckburks

Reaction score
O agree with the playing with the phone all the time. Think I stay plugged in now most of the time.

ckburks

Reaction score
Btw... I've had better luck not renaming and install through rom manager.

jjhiza

Reaction score
The main benefit of rooting my Droid was increased performance. I run LauncherPro with Lithium Mod NG v0.0.5 1ghz, and I love my phone. It was starting to get really laggy, so I looked here for a solution, and now it's like a brand new phone. I say go for it; Motocache's directions are flawless, and if you run into any issues, people are more than happy to troubleshoot with you here until you figure it out.