Thinking of getting a Droid 1

clarkstrange

Reaction score
I like the looks of the Droid 1 and thinking about getting one cause my X is giving me problems and I don't upgrade till October. Can you root and overclock a D1 and get it as fast as the newer droids? I'm guessing you can with a few flashes. Pros/cons of D1? Thanks for any help

sent from a Liberated Droid X

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A Droid 1 is a dog, compared to the newer generation of Droids.

Compared to an X? A little slower, but overclocked, not too shabby.

OP
C

clarkstrange

Reaction score
Well if I did, it would only be temporary. I was hoping to find one for cheap. I believe my X has water damage and will freak out occasionally. Even after multiple resets and flashing liberty. Just curious about the OGDs. I figure they have plenty of software out for them

chadwick108

Reaction score
Letting my friend borrow my rooted over locked Droid 1 have had since they came out. Had pretty good luck with it all around. Rooting just opens it up sooo much and there are so many rooms out there now for Droid 1.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

Supertom

Reaction score
My DROID 1 sucks donkey balls!
Ok... never rooted!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

r314bd

Reaction score
Can you root and overclock a D1 and get it as fast as the newer droids? I'm guessing you can with a few flashes. Pros/cons of D1? Thanks for any help
I recently upgraded from the D1 to the D4. You won't be able to get the D1 as fast as newer droids, even with overclocking, but if you overclock and install a custom ROM you can get close.

The good news is that used D1s are going for ~$40 on eBay so you can get one pretty cheap.

OP
C

clarkstrange

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from the D1 to the D4. You won't be able to get the D1 as fast as newer droids, even with overclocking, but if you overclock and install a custom ROM you can get close.

The good news is that used D1s are going for ~$40 on eBay so you can get one pretty cheap.

Yeah I saw some for $40. That's what I'm talking about :) thanks for the help guys. I'll prolly be buying one soon

rut3556

Reaction score
I have an original Droid 1 I've had for almost 2 years now. While I'd like to upgrade, I'm beginning to think none of the present offerings out there are any good. No matter which one I look at somebodies having problems with it. At this rate I might as well go back to a flip phone!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have an original Droid 1 I've had for almost 2 years now. While I'd like to upgrade, I'm beginning to think none of the present offerings out there are any good. No matter which one I look at somebodies having problems with it. At this rate I might as well go back to a flip phone!

Well, keep in mind, that's kinda how the cycle goes. If you've had the Droid that long, then you remember it had lots of bugs early on as well. Now, the one bug it didn't have was network connection. But LTE is very revolutionary, and Verizon is pushing ahead harder/faster than any others with LTE. Also keep in mind that this forum is a LOT bigger than it was back then, with a LOT more users, on a LOT more phones - so you're going to hear a LOT more negative than positive. :)

KittenIsaBoy

Reaction score
You might want to try running a different ROM. Try a version of Liquid Smooth, it might help. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

vey

Reaction score
As time went by, the Droid was upgraded, software was improved and Android was hacked more and more.

I keep reading posts where people complain about how slow the OG launcher is even though there have been numerous ways to speed it up -- anything from using a better launcher to watching how some shortcuts and widgets will slow the OG down. My homescreen shows up now after about 2 seconds, and the drawer is populated immediately, which is acceptable.

erickrocks1126

Reaction score
Sure the Droid 1 is old, but it's still a solid phone. I've got mine rooted, running CM7, oc'd to 1266MHz (but governed to 1100), and using V6 supercharger script and it runs quite nicely!