Phone will not ring on incoming calls, only vibrates:

neddo

Reaction score
My Droid X will not ring upon [COLOR=#812528 ! important][COLOR=#812528 ! important]incoming [COLOR=#812528 ! important]calls[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
, it resorts to vibrating everytime. My ringtone used to work and play loud, but now all it does is resort to a default vibration.

I have uninstalled all apps, rebooted in safe mode. I've done a factory reset after spending an hour on the phone with 2 VZW reps, and this problem has returned.

Sound and Display information:

Silent Mode: Box is Grayed out (off)
Ringer Volume: Slider is all the way to the right (see NOTE*)
[COLOR=#812528 ! important][COLOR=#812528 ! important]Phone [COLOR=#812528 ! important] [/COLOR][COLOR=#812528 ! important]Ringtone[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] is set to the default Droid X ringtone (which worked initially after turning my phone on the first time)
Phone Vibrate box is Grayed out (off)
Both Smart Sensor Settings at the bottom are grayed out (off)

NOTE* When going into Sound and Display Settings and moving the Ringer Volume slidebar, the ringtone plays LOUD and as it should. Also noted is that I'm not an idiot, the sound is turned all the way up with the volume rocker on the side.

Another note is that incoming [COLOR=#812528 ! important][COLOR=#812528 ! important]text [COLOR=#812528 ! important]messages[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] work as they should, with the ringtone going off (DRRROOOOOIIIDDD).

List of previously installed Apps:
Dolphin HD Browser
Kindle for Android
Scorecenter
Braves News
Pandora
Tapatalk
Adobe PDF Viewer
Google Earth
Google Stars (point at sky to see constellations, can't remember exact name)
The Weather Channel
Facebook for Android
Barcode Scanner
Engadget

If any other information is needed, just ask (through a PM preferentially). Thanks.

Freedoom

Reaction score
Advance Task Manger, put it to ignore "People," just kinda figuring you forgot to put advanced task manager on your list, if you don't have it, I don't know.

Last edited:

jkevinmcg

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as neddo. My situation started after I invoked the "Smart Profile:Face Down" feature. Phone rang like it should, I put it face down, it switched to vibrate and now I can't get the phone to switch to non-vibrate mode no matter what I do. I have called Motorola twice and they have never returned my calls. I'll try again tomorrow. :-(

lynngor70458

Reaction score
Face Down Problem

My phone had the same issue today. It worked fine until I tried that face down thing when it rang. I was on the phone with Tech Support over an hour and did a factory reset. I then had to start all over again customizing it and downloading apps. The Verizon people said she did not know anything about this but if it happened to a few people, they would see if it was a software bug. Looks like it is! Don't enable this feature in your settings!

jkevinmcg

Reaction score
I spent about 30 minutes with Verizon; no luck. Did not do a factory reset as I see that the problem returned for neddo. I will wait for the new update to be pushed to my phone and then will see what the result is and report back. I love the phone but I need it to ring. How they could miss this in testing is beyond me. I wonder what else is lurking? Unfortunately I will return it if that doesn't work.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I spent about 30 minutes with Verizon; no luck. Did not do a factory reset as I see that the problem returned for neddo. I will wait for the new update to be pushed to my phone and then will see what the result is and report back. I love the phone but I need it to ring. How they could miss this in testing is beyond me. I wonder what else is lurking? Unfortunately I will return it if that doesn't work.

Please refrain from cross posting...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Advance Task Manger, put it to ignore "People," just kinda figuring you forgot to put advanced task manager on your list, if you don't have it, I don't know.

Actually, Just remove Advanced Task Killer as it's not needed.

ohnoyoudidnt

Reaction score
I was in the same boat. i have done the factory reset and been about 20ish hours since and i still have ringtones, but when i did put it back to the face down silence it happened numerous times. so i just have not turned that feature on, besides that a factory reset worked for me. and i am waiting to install the new update a little bit.

OP
N

neddo

Reaction score
Yeah, since my second factory reset I have refrained from adding the smart sensor settings and that has seemed to be the magical answer.

All in all, don't use the smart sensor settings! I'm sure it will be patched in an update; however, I wouldn't hold my breath. A factory reset is a huge inconvenience, but it'll return your ringtones (worth it, IMO).

ohnoyoudidnt

Reaction score
i just installed the update, time to test the facedown smart option again
edit.. will have to wait for a call since i cannot call myself

jkevinmcg

Reaction score
Installed the update before doing the factory reset; no change. Did the reset and got my ringtones back. Motorola finally called after 30 hours. After I told her the problem, she said she was unaware and that she would call me back in 30 minutes. Oh well, I might hear from her yet. When I do I'll update this thread.

orlandotommy

Reaction score
Same here!

I had turned that feature on a couple days ago and just decided to turn it off, once i did the thing only vibrates, i have spent days customizing this phone and im not so cool with reseting everything, im a loyal BB user and i guess this is one of the reasons ive always stayed with a BB, this kind of stuff doesnt happen.
I will do one factory reset but after that the phone goes in the trash and its back to BBland for me. This is not acceptable, i even installed a update that was pushed out by Verizon today and that didnt fix it.:icon_evil:

wprocter

Reaction score
another instance

same issue here.... not too big of a deal to me, but would like the option of hearing a ring now and then

might try a factory reset this weekend, but would rather not

wprocter

Reaction score
reset works

did a factory reset and the problem was corrected.

it would be nice to have the face down silence option... don't feel like trying to see if it magically now works only to have to do another reset

Thalinor

Reaction score
This did not work for me, but after a few hours I decided to try something on a whim that did, the following is how I solved the problem.

Download the free app called "System Panel" from the Google store. My version is the paid one, which makes the app run in the task bar for easy use but I don't think it matters if you have the free or paid version. The program is a task killer but seems to be more advanced then the typical task killer app.

I had the following settings checked; I don’t know if it matters and the only reason they were this way was because I was randomly turning things off and on while trying to fix this issue when I decided to try the following trick. I honestly did not think it would work so its not like I really was paying attention to what settings were turned off and on at the time. Anyway, provided just in case it does matter:

Sound & Display:

Silent Mode UNCHECKED
Ringer Volume Max, Incoming Volume for Notifications UNCHECKED, Notification Volume Max
Ringtone: Droid Speaks (Because I wanted her to speak to me again, lol)
Phone Vibrate UNCHECKED
Audible Touchtone CHECKED
Haptic Feedback UNCHECKED
Double-Tap to Silence UNCHECKED
Smart Profile: Face Down CHECKED

1) Start System Panel
2) Look for the "End All" at the bottom center of the screen. Tap It.
3) By default you will see System Apps and Excluded Apps (The first two lines) greyed out. Active Apps, Background Apps, and Inactive Apps will all be colored from olive to green.
4) IMPORTANT - Tap on "System Apps" in the list. You will see "Excluded Apps" turn brown and "System Apps" turn red if you did it right.
5) Click on the "End Tasks" button. This will crash the System Panel App, and everything else you have running.
6) Wait about 2 minutes for everything to start up again on your phone.
7) Cross your fingers and call your phone. Worked for me.
8) Go into system settings and UNCHECK Smart Profile: Face Down

Hope this helps!

PS: Thank you Birdman for ROOT; you are amazing.

Last edited: