Phone will not ring on incoming calls, only vibrates:

BigE"s DROID

Reaction score
Im having similar issue...I loose notification sound but ringer works on incomong calls.I first had the problem on the day after i got phone (i recieved mine on release day) was hoping for a fix but nothing and didnt want to waint to long so i have a replacement phone on the way...I told VZW i did NOT want a refurbished device because the problem was reported within 30days.....I told them if they send me refurb i will return until i recieve a brand new device!! we will see what happens tuesday.

Slingnutt

Reaction score
Just an update guys, I did a factor reset last night (after I tried everything else) It Sucked to have to do it, but IT WORKED!!!! All of this to get a ringer back. I had to reload EVERYTHING, but it was kind of fun getting to set the phone back up, but NOT something I'd want to do on a regular basis... Good luck fellas.

ckf

Reaction score
happened to me too.. it was the face down sensor. but the factory reset worked for me!

Phillipsave

Reaction score
This worked for me, from the Motorola site referenced before, originally developed by Cubenoob, and further refined by Doc and others:

1.) Go Settings
2.) Sound & Display
3.) Scroll to the bottom
4.) Locate the SMART SENSOR SETTINGS:
A).Double-Tap to Silence = No Checked
B).Smart Profile: Face Down = Checked
5.) Remove and replace the battery
6.) Turn the phone back on and DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING
7.) Hold the phone face up in your palm.
8.) Call yourself from another phone as soon as it fully boots up
9.) As the phone is vibrating, DO NOT ANSWER. Press a volume rocker to stop the vibration but do not end the call.
10.) Still holding the phone, flip the phone face down.
11.) Then, flip the phone back over so that it's facing up. You should feel a quick vibrating jolt. That means the ringer is back on.
12.) End the call from the phone you are calling from.
13.) Don't touch anything, leave phone face up and call yourself again.
14.) If it worked turn off the Smart Profile: Face down setting
If it does not work on first attempt, try steps a few times before resetting the phone.

Last edited:

desmvp

Reaction score
yes back to norm

This worked for me, from the Motorola site referenced before, originally developed by Cubenoob, and further refined by Doc and others:

1.) Go Settings
2.) Sound & Display
3.) Scroll to the bottom
4.) Locate the SMART SENSOR SETTINGS:
A).Double-Tap to Silence = No Checked
B).Smart Profile: Face Down = Checked
5.) Remove and replace the battery
6.) Turn the phone back on and DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING
7.) Hold the phone face up in your palm.
8.) Call yourself from another phone as soon as it fully boots up
9.) As the phone is vibrating, DO NOT ANSWER. Press a volume rocker to stop the vibration but do not end the call.
10.) Still holding the phone, flip the phone face down.
11.) Then, flip the phone back over so that it's facing up. You should feel a quick vibrating jolt. That means the ringer is back on.
12.) End the call from the phone you are calling from.
13.) Don't touch anything, leave phone face up and call yourself again.
14.) If it worked turn off the Smart Profile: Face down setting
If it does not work on first attempt, try steps a few times before resetting the phone.

thanks lots guess i didnt know how that function worked now im back on track. dancedroid

Hookmyhome

Reaction score
Wow!!!!!...I was just about to call Verizon for master reset and tried this and it worked!!!!! thanks...saved me ALOT of time:)

Ivanhoensandiego

Reaction score
I have the same problem with no sound. I downloaded the free version of Smart Panel and it didn't solve the problem. Verizon tech support wants me to do a system reset and erase all my stuff -- I HATE THAT!! I feel like I'm back to using a Commodore 64 and being told to reload the discs. This is really stupid.

mkz

Reaction score
Thank you, Jasmo! That worked!

Why don't the techs on the phone or in the store know about this problem or temporary fix? Called Verizon and they told me to go to a store. First time there they did a factory restart and I had to reload everything. Second time they did another factory reset and told me if it happened again they would give me a new phone. I didn't want to do that when the problem came back for the third time and found this thread. You guys are my new best friends! :heart: dancedroid

jmatty520

Reaction score
just to add my 2 cents also, I had this problem and since I only had the phone for about a month I decided to do a factory reset and now my ringer works fine. I'm glad everyone in this forum posted what they did so I knew what to do. Thanks. I'd rather reset it than screw around with more settings and install more stuff.

ROBinTEXAS

Reaction score
Another Victim

I too had my phone stop ringing, just vibrating. I activated the feature that announces the caller repeatedly just so I'd know my phone was (not) ringing.

Tried the new updates at the Verizon store but no luck. In the store at the same time, was another customer who heard me talking to the tech and asked, "Did your Droid X stop ringing too?" There was a lineup at our store. No fix after the update, so I made a list of my apps and did a factory reboot and reloaded all of my apps (including activating the face down to silence feature AND the announce incoming calls feature) and so far (knock on wood) it is still working.

My daughter who has the same Droid X phone, hasn't had the problem at all and (as a side note) never activated the face down feature and hasn't activated the call announcement feature, either.

Now that it's working, I have to say that I STILL love my Droid X. Makes me feel a little bad for all the folks who think their iPhones are so cool! LOL dancedroid

Thanks for the info folks!!

When they get a fix, hope we'll get updates or notices of the same so we can apply them. :)

katndog

Reaction score
I tried the settings/battery pull/call myself from another phone, volume toggle/flipped down/up.. no change. reset for me.:(

Bdragon007

Reaction score
It worked great, note that I have to flip it a couple time until I feel the jolt.

Thanks a lot...

DroidForums App

tkone14

Reaction score
Jasmo's directions worked

Jasmo's directions worked for me. I did not have to do a factory reboot and my droid's been ringing just fine. Thanks Jasmo!