Phone will not ring on incoming calls, only vibrates:

jdenisonsales

Reaction score
I'm a customer supprort Rep for Verizon and I've helped a few people with this issue. The latest software update did not fix this issue, but Motorola support is aware of the problem. After factory reset if the smart profiles are left unchecked and the caller I'd readout isn't set thishas fixed the issue for my customers. I would be patient and wait for a software fix in the near future.

Thalinor

Reaction score
I'm a customer supprort Rep for Verizon and I've helped a few people with this issue. The latest software update did not fix this issue, but Motorola support is aware of the problem. After factory reset if the smart profiles are left unchecked and the caller I'd readout isn't set thishas fixed the issue for my customers. I would be patient and wait for a software fix in the near future.

I know but the fix I posted above worked WITHOUT having to do a factory reset. I am not sure why a battery pull does not work but this does; my guess is that even with a battery pull or turning your phone off, some settings are retained in memory. System Panel can crash everything running if you follow my post above correctly. It fixed my problem without a factory reset. To date, no one else has posted a fix that worked for me which did not include a factory reset. I tried the above on a whim and found it to fix the problem. I was quite shocked and did not really think it would work.

I posted it here and other forums because if others try and it works for them then we have a fix that does not include a factory reset!

jdenisonsales

Reaction score

I know but the fix I posted above worked WITHOUT having to do a factory reset. I am not sure why a battery pull does not work but this does; my guess is that even with a battery pull or turning your phone off, some settings are retained in memory. System Panel can crash everything running if you follow my post above correctly. It fixed my problem without a factory reset. To date, no one else has posted a fix that worked for me which did not include a factory reset. I tried the above on a whim and found it to fix the problem. I was quite shocked and did not really think it would work.

I posted it here and other forums because if others try and it works for them then we have a fix that does not include a factory reset!
not saying ur fix doesn't work and nice job! Just thought I would throw my two cents in. Thanks

Thalinor

Reaction score

not saying ur fix doesn't work and nice job! Just thought I would throw my two cents in. Thanks

No worries, I did not mean that in any negative way and I completely understood you were just posting info that VZW knew of the issue. Thank you for that too!

What I meant was, this MAY help people not have to factory reset and loose all their apps, etc. There is no guarantee, but it did fix my issue where all the other suggestions (besides factory reset) failed. A Motorola tech reported that answering a call, turning off the back light via the sensor and then trying to position the phone flat solved his issue. Many other people posted back it did not work for them; myself included. This trick which worked for me, may not work for others just like the Motorola guys only worked for him. I posted it in hope that it does work for someone, but again no way to be sure till others report back.

Glad to hear VZW is working on the issue. Now, if they will only tell Blockbuster to piss off and re-enable the HDMI port for general use so I can display Powerpoint presentations on a projector, I will be very happy! No one is seriously going to copy their $4 low rez 240X320 movies when there are "Hypothetically" much cheaper ($1 redbox + ripping software) or free (torrent) methods of obtaining movies. This paranoid thinking and archaic business model is the reason Blockbuster is bankrupt. VZW and Moto are just being dragged down by Blockbusters nonsense!

The moment I had root, the first app to go was blockbuster. After that Skype, Amazon MP3, and Kindle. Please tell your employer to keep your bloatware off my phone! If I want it I will download it myself!

wprocter

Reaction score
good info

Thalinor....great fix tip and info... wish I had waited just one more day before a reset. lol

good to hear VZW is aware of the problem.

way0207

Reaction score
System Panel fix did not work for me

I tried the Sytem Panel fix Thalinor described and it did not work. The only difference is I did not buy the System Panel app and used a free one... any other fixes out there? Thanks anyway Thalinor.

cwebb

Reaction score
I tried Thalinor's solution too, with no success.

I used the free version.

I'll spring for the paid version, and post back here if any more successful with it.

Has anyone had any other solutions to this?

(I don't want to do a factory reset, if possible, unless there's a way to fully restore after a factory reset.

Anyone know about a way to do a full backup/restore (home icons etc) with a factory reset?)

rudolphe

Reaction score
I tried Thalinor's solution too, with no success.

I used the free version.

I'll spring for the paid version, and post back here if any more successful with it.

Has anyone had any other solutions to this?

(I don't want to do a factory reset, if possible, unless there's a way to fully restore after a factory reset.

Anyone know about a way to do a full backup/restore (home icons etc) with a factory reset?)

If your using LauncherPro I know you can backup your homescreens, then just back up everything else with my backup or something.

cwebb

Reaction score
Ok, thanks, I'll check out LauncherPro.

I tried the paid version of System Panel, and had no better luck.

I also tried Motorola-forum sysop Matt's suggestion of "answer the phone - activate the proximity sensor once - then hold the phone level, screen up and wait for a vibration pulse". I never felt a vibration pulse, and had no luck with that method either.

It looks like the only real solution is to do a 'factory reset'. (Oh dear, this is looking an awful lot like Windows 3.1 - accggkk!)

cwebb

Reaction score
Was finally able to restore my ring without a factory reset.:icon_ banana:

Matt's method finally worked for me. (Matt is the moderator on the Motorola DroidX forum)

Before I was able to get Matt's method to work (after many attempts), I first tried cubenoob's method, outlined in the same thread as Matt's method, here:
https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/196032#196032

Cubenoob's method did not work for me, but afterwards, I tried Matt's once more, and it worked.

May have been a coincidence. Dunno.

firstdroidx

Reaction score
Was finally able to restore my ring without a factory reset.:icon_ banana:

Matt's method finally worked for me. (Matt is the moderator on the Motorola DroidX forum)

Before I was able to get Matt's method to work (after many attempts), I first tried cubenoob's method, outlined in the same thread as Matt's method, here:
https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/196032#196032

Cubenoob's method did not work for me, but afterwards, I tried Matt's once more, and it worked.

May have been a coincidence. Dunno.

I tried this and it did not work. However a couple pages later I found something that did work - by adding a power off and power on and then repeat the process. There was a short vibration in between the regular phone vibrations. Now i have turned off the feature and will hope the update that is coming will fix it permanently.

This is starting to feel more and more like the storm

Avoidance

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue and really don't feel like taking the time to do a factory reset.

I've tried the fixes mentioned here and on the moto forums with no luck... =/ Having BB Storm flashbacks...ick

TFG

Reaction score
Is everyone still in the same spot with this issue? Some things work and most don't but there is no consensus number 1 fixer. A co-worker is having this same issue and I'm trying to fix it without a factory reset. Halp!

wprocter

Reaction score
After the factory reset, I left the automatic orientation option unchecked and the issue has not returned. I'm waiting for the official 2.2. to roll out, root, backup and then try it again.

Slingnutt

Reaction score
I'm still having this issue. Running LauncherPro, 2.2. I've done everything everyone has suggested. I'm on a Moto Droid 1, I don't have the "face down" selection at all. It seems to have happened after an update of sorts. I'm not liking the fact that I have a phone that I have to check every 2 seconds when waiting on a call, or in case of an emergency. VZW and or Motorola need to get something out QUICK. Makes you wonder if they've made the "smart phone" to be smarter than the programmer?:icon_ poke: