Phone took a dive....

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Last night, while I was walking the dogs and dealing with a phone call, my phone slipped and fell face down on blacktop. Honestly, I didn't give it much thought knowing it has a shatter resistant screen. Today, I took a look at it and saw this... I'm sick to my stomach...

Attachments

• Z Force Screen Puncture.jpg
    Z Force Screen Puncture.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 327

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sorry to hear & see that. I understand the feeling, after putting a small tear in my Turbo 2 outer layer. If that tear is only in the outer layer you might be able to replace it eventually. Hopefully it didn't go deeper into the bottom layers of the screen.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Sorry to hear & see that. I understand the feeling, after putting a small tear in my Turbo 2 outer layer. If that tear is only in the outer layer you might be able to replace it eventually. Hopefully it didn't go deeper into the bottom layers of the screen.

It doesn't look like it went any deeper, Saj. I think it'll be okay for now. It's just not "perfect" anymore :(

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
FYI, for future use. Here is the Moto page for ordering a new outer layer (they call it the lens) and instructions for replacing it. The "order here" link is not working yet, but should be eventually.

Moto ShatterShield™

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
FYI, for future use. Here is the Moto page for ordering a new outer layer (they call it the lens) and instructions for replacing it. The "order here" link is not working yet, but should be eventually.

Moto ShatterShield™

OH! Thank you so much!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I thought moto made the device indestructible?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I thought moto made the device indestructible?
They made them tough, and the screen is shatter proof. But, the screen can puncture or tear....if it hits a sharp object. There must have been a small, sharp stone or something to put that gouge in the outer layer of the screen. Mine was a jagged edge of a piece of hotel furniture, and it hit just right. The good news is my screen didn't shatter, and neither did the OP's. She might be shopping for a new phone right now if that was not a Turbo 2 or Droid Z Force. And the other good news is Moto made the 5 layer shatter shield screen with the outer layer (lens) user replaceable. So if that's all that is damaged, it can be replaced for around $30.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
They made them tough, and the screen is shatter proof. But, the screen can puncture or tear....if it hits a sharp object. There must have been a small, sharp stone or something to put that gouge in the outer layer of the screen. Mine was a jagged edge of a piece of hotel furniture, and it hit just right. The good news is my screen didn't shatter, and neither did the OP's. She might be shopping for a new phone right now if that was not a Turbo 2 or Droid Z Force. And the other good news is Moto made the 5 layer shatter shield screen with the outer layer (lens) user replaceable. So if that's all that is damaged, it can be replaced for around $30.

I will say, I'm impressed that that's all that happened. I was in full stride with three dogs in urgent need to move quickly. My phone slipped out from between my shoulder & cheek & really hit the pavement hard. I'm thrilled that it's still good, just bummed that it now has a blemish.
Next time, I'll hang up first or use a headset.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The screen is replaceable in layers...up to 3 for the end user..the rest by Moto...I think..I know it's 5..I run a glass cover over mine..to make 6..but I could well be wrong.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This is a 2D picture so it's tough to really determine if that mark is as deep as it seems to be. It looks really deep, but if it were as deep as it appears to me then it seems the glass would have broken as well. The good news is it doesn't look like the glass is damaged. If it were, there would be radial cracks spidering outward from the point of impact and to the bottom, left and top of the phone's face.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
This is a 2D picture so it's tough to really determine if that mark is as deep as it seems to be. It looks really deep, but if it were as deep as it appears to me then it seems the glass would have broken as well. The good news is it doesn't look like the glass is damaged. If it were, there would be radial cracks spidering outward from the point of impact and to the bottom, left and top of the phone's face.

I agree Fox, it's hard to tell from a 2D picture. On my Turbo 2, the tiny puncture in the outer layer (lens) looked way worse if I zoomed in on it before covering the screen with a glass screen protector.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The screen is replaceable in layers...up to 3 for the end user..the rest by Moto...I think..I know it's 5..I run a glass cover over mine..to make 6..but I could well be wrong.
According to the Moto website, only the outer layer (they call it the lens) is replaceable by us. At least that's the case on all of their websites that I have seen; messing with anything under that 5th outer layer voids the warranty...I think.

OP
Gudasau

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Honestly, it's hard to tell seeing it in 3D Lol! I'm fairly certain it's just the outer "lens". What you're seeing in the picture is a puncture and some lifting surrounding the little hole. I don't want to dig in there to feel, for fear I scratch the screen, so I'm going to just tell myself it's the lens and relax. I will replace it once they become available and I have enough nerve to try to put it on without messing it up. I am not good with putting screen protectors on, this makes me kinda queasy to think about...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Honestly, it's hard to tell seeing it in 3D Lol! I'm fairly certain it's just the outer "lens". What you're seeing in the picture is a puncture and some lifting surrounding the little hole. I don't want to dig in there to feel, for fear I scratch the screen, so I'm going to just tell myself it's the lens and relax. I will replace it once they become available and I have enough nerve to try to put it on without messing it up. I am not good with putting screen protectors on, this makes me kinda queasy to think about...
Thats sounds like a good plan; if the phone is working fine now, why worry too much about it. I know that's easier said than done though. Once you buy the kit, maybe a friend or family member could help replace it? Hope things work out for the best for you.

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
I ordered the pleson tempered glass screen protector for my Z Force when it arrives. Couldn't hurt to have an extra layer of protection on the device.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk