Water Damage to Motorola Droid: phone working, screen black?

knoll

Reaction score
Yesterday my phone fell out of my back pocket and into the toilet. I snatched it out in about a second and immediately took out the battery. The display was still on at the time I took the battery out. I quickly wiped my phone down and put it into a bowl of rice. However, I didn't think to slide the keyboard out.

Now, a day later, I tried turning it on again - the display came on normally at first but then the screen went black. I could tell the phone had turned on because I saw the lights on the home keys and it vibrated when I had a friend call me. It's just the display that isn't working.

I have no insurance and 3 weeks until my upgrade.. is there anything I can do to salvage this phone so that it will last until then?

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Put it into a sealed bag of rice for at least 2 days, I thinking all the water wasn't removed and you just need to give the rice more time to work its magic.

Sent by my Bolt powered by Thunder

nmm

Reaction score
Water Damage indicators are full of crap
Listen, I have dunked many phones before and I know what dunking is. I was in the rain briefly and a few DROPS of water got on the FRONT for the phone. Wiped them off, went on my way.

The next day it was 95 degrees outside and almost 100% humidity. I was outside in this using my phone all day and it was working fine. Got home and screen went black. Plus it was red-hot. The phone itself was working and I was getting calls, but could not answer them because I couldn't see the screen!!!

Put in the refrigerator and cooled it off. Still no screen. Went to the verizon store and they guy took out the battery and said it was dunked because the water damage indicator said so. I said no it wasn't dunked...never. It did get drops on the FRONT walking from my house to the car.....but that's it!

The guy said no, its been dunked. I said how the heck would you know..... I think these phones are designed so that the "indicators" go off at the slightest few drops or rain. More likely, I think these phones can't take the Florida heat very well, and when the humidity is high for extended periods.....those indicators possibly show damage from mere high humidity. VERIZON.... be aware of this please!!! If you sell these phones, tell people they are frail and easily damaged by normal conditions.

People....do not get DROIDS until Motorola fixes this issue. You shouldn't have to BABY your phone to this extent!!!