OverClocking 101

Discussion in 'Tech Guides for root users' started by Skull One, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffe65

jeffe65 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm still running FRG01B, which may be part of the problem. There's another thread on here with a deodexed version of the FRG22D build that I may try. I've been sitting on the fence, as I can't decide whether to do that or just go for a custom ROM. So many ROMs to choose from; I can't make up my mind!

Yes, I'm on a D1.

2. aggiechase37

aggiechase37 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My ROM is a deodexed FRG22D. I don't know how much of the problem that would be because it seems like I was running conservative on the last Metickmod ROM. I can personally vouch for MetickOne ROM's. They are great! Just a straight forward, conservatively themed, no frills package. I've also tried Sapphire out and that was pretty good too, in fact that was my first ROM out of the gate. But since I've found MetickOne's I haven't really felt the need to turn back. I do think about what Cyanogen might be like every once in a while.

Anyway, maybe you got a wonky CPU. But it would certainly be worth it to try a FRG22D based ROM. Then you can join the conservative movement and live in battery/performance bliss with me!

3. tee00max

tee00max Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I been looking through the write up and I understand basically what everything does, I guess my question is, Whats really the best kernel to run? When I look in my ROM manager I see so many from Chevy and some other folks. If someone has theirs set and runs good I would like to know your setting but I just basically want it to be a little faster than what it is, and still give good battery life. Im running CM6 ROM.

4. jeffe65

jeffe65 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    MetickOne's ROM's are the ones I was looking at; from what I've read on the forums he's got it pretty stable. You mention themed, which one are you using?

5. aggiechase37

aggiechase37 Member

Ratings:
    +0

My settings above work for me, but ymmv:)

6. tee00max

tee00max Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok I will run that and see how I like it...thanks for the response

7. Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Reality is each device is different and no 2 processors are the same. Os it kinda boils down to trial an error to see what works best for your device.

Personally on my droid I seem to have best luck when not running a low or ultra low voltage kernel. Seems much more snappy and the battery life is better. that said one of P3's standard voltage kernels works best for me and I've tried and test just about everyone out there before I gave up my Droid and went on to the X I currently have. I still however have my Droid and it is running P3's 1.1Ghz standard voltage and I have no problem at all getting a days (18+ hrs) use out of it

8. aggiechase37

aggiechase37 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use the black n blue theme. I don't need much frills, just wanted a black notification bar, and the blue is a nice extra touch. It's completely based off FRG22D. I haven't been stock for a while, but it couldn't possibly be much less stable than that. Give it a whirl and see how you like it. I haven't changed to anything else since, and unless something comes along that absolutely knocks my socks off I won't be changing at all.

Sorry for being off topic.

Conservative governor rules!

9. lessonz

lessonz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, I sometimes have problems with this. What are the right settings?

10. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Start with a standard voltage kernel to remove the first key variable so you can properly test the others. Set the sleep/standby to 125/400 and let the phone sleep for at least 6 hours. As soon as you wake it up open SetCPU and click on the Info tab. Look for the Load Average. All three numbers should be below two. If they are not, then up the max 1 slot IE 125/550. The reason for this is background apps. As they load up the phone in standby you need to be able to overcome the load average. If you don't have a lot of background apps, 125/300 may be possible, but if you have a ton, then you might need 125/800 or higher.

About now some of you might be going "Well I can run 250/400 and it works, so that should avoid the need for 125/800". You would be correct it works. It also take more battery to run at 250/400 than 125/800 if all the applications you have installed play properly.

Once you have determined the min/max for sleep standby, then you should go back to a low or ultra low voltage kernel for more testing.

11. aggiechase37

aggiechase37 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just for an update, I moved to a Slayher kernel since the min in 125mhz rather than Chevy's min of 250. I kept everything the same, (except for screen off I went to 125-250) with the conservative setting. So far so good. Only a few minutes in though. I'm expecting and hoping to see some improved battery life out of this move. This was if I decide to go out at night and don't get in till 2am or so I won't have to charge the phone first. I'll report my results. After a couple days of use.

12. jeffe65

jeffe65 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Now that's some information I needed. I was running the Chevy 1.25 kernel with screen off at 400/800; wake-ups were inconsistent and battery life "okay". I switched to P3Droid because they now have CPU temp readings, 1.25 Ghz SV, and at the same settings wake-ups were still inconsistent. I switched to 125/800, and got better performance, but Load Averages were 2.5 - 2.9. So I upped it to 125/1000 and voila! Load Averages are .8-1.9, response is great, and battery life is actually better. I wouldn't have guessed it. But then, I do have a ton of apps, which is something else I need to address.

Thank-you very much! For that you get a dancing banana! Or three!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
android clocking
android ignore nice load
android nice load
clocking android
con up threshold
ignore nice load
ignore nice load android
nice load