Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Its not a bad idea to put a few kernels on your sd. If your phone dont like one, reboot to recovery and flash another. This just keeps you from restoring your backup multiple times until you find the right kernel. It saves time, thats all.

NetNathan

Reaction score
Running BB 6.2....
Since it is not a ROM load...should I wipe data and cache before installing an overclock kernel?

No. You should do a backup just in case your phone doesn't like the kernel.

Thanks...
Before I mess with ROMs, Kernels or Themes....
As far as backup preparation..
I always do a ROM backup thru ROM Manager, Titanium Backup of apps and data and a Launcher Pro backup.

Its not a bad idea to put a few kernels on your sd. If your phone dont like one, reboot to recovery and flash another. This just keeps you from restoring your backup multiple times until you find the right kernel. It saves time, thats all.

Thanks for the idea..

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Running BB 6.2....
Since it is not a ROM load...should I wipe data and cache before installing an overclock kernel?

Thanks...
I always do a ROM backup thru ROM Manager, Titanium Backup of apps and data and a Launcher Pro backup.

Thanks for the idea..

ROM Manager likes to mess up with backups and will tell you it made one even if it's pulled it's Amazing Disappearing Recovery Image trick. Do it from recovery whenever possible; at least you know then if it's working or not.

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
Hey, Skull

Not sure if you've had a chance to play with SetCPU V2.1 yet, but I'd be really interested to know what you think about the new version. Seems there have been some pretty significant additions to the code, with some nice GUI tweaks as well.

While yes there are some nice improvements there are still a few things, in my opinion, that he needs to fix.

1) Remove anything to do with priority and just use standard Android OS drag and drop for selecting the profile position. The user doesn't need to worry about a number, that is what programs are for.

2) Each profile should have its own set of advanced settings.

3) The master advanced setting screen should have the ability to memorize each governor type and its individual setting.

But overall this was another step in the right direction.

NetNathan

Reaction score

Thanks...

Thanks for the idea..

ROM Manager likes to mess up with backups and will tell you it made one even if it's pulled it's Amazing Disappearing Recovery Image trick. Do it from recovery whenever possible; at least you know then if it's working or not.

I use the "Backup ROM" function in ROM Manager befoe I load a new ROM, Kernel or Theme. This way I can see ROM Manager boot into ClockworkMod Recovery and do the backup.
I do not do the backup during the ROM load only the "Wipe data and cache".
I guess I should check to see if the backup exists before I load a ROM?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The only way to make sure is to do it manually. I see ROM Manager screw up WAY too much to trust it now or ever. At least on the D1. Even with all the updates Koush has done over the past year it's still unreliable.

Having said that, back to overclocking... :)

I HATE the new icons in the new SetCPU but I agree that it's a step in the right direction.

kip256

Reaction score
Skull One,
Thanks for putting so much effort into figuring out how to prolong the battery life. I got to about page 10 and realized reading 60 pages wasn't going to happen. Not sure if you have done this, but could you compile your research numbers into one location somewhere? That would be much easier then going through 60 pages for anybody who is new to this thread (like me) and trying to figure out whats going on, thanks.

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
Skull One,
Thanks for putting so much effort into figuring out how to prolong the battery life. I got to about page 10 and realized reading 60 pages wasn't going to happen. Not sure if you have done this, but could you compile your research numbers into one location somewhere? That would be much easier then going through 60 pages for anybody who is new to this thread (like me) and trying to figure out whats going on, thanks.

To be blunt, when I started this project I thought it would die in about a month and might consist of maybe 50 posts. So I kept everything here. I had no clue it would reach nearly 600 posts across 7 months.

So it will be a while before I have that kind of free time. Basically, I would have to do the same thing you are trying to avoid. Read everything here and "Reader Digest" it. Because all of my research notes and results are stored right here or in my head.

kip256

Reaction score
Skull One,

To be blunt, when I started this project I thought it would die in about a month and might consist of maybe 50 posts. So I kept everything here. I had no clue it would reach nearly 600 posts across 7 months.

So it will be a while before I have that kind of free time. Basically, I would have to do the same thing you are trying to avoid. Read everything here and "Reader Digest" it. Because all of my research notes and results are stored right here or in my head.

Yeah, understandable, there is a lot there. Have you tried testing SetCPU with the MIUI ROM?

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
Yeah, understandable, there is a lot there. Have you tried testing SetCPU with the MIUI ROM?

I have not. Tried it for about 2 minutes before I realized it was an Apple iPhone clone. Promptly when back to a true Android ROM. I already have an iPod Touch for that look and feel. ;)

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Skull I have a question that I hope you can just clarify for me. Now I have tried sorting though all the posts on this thread, but it is mind boggling for me. So if this has been asked/ answered then I apologize. Am I right in thinking that an Increasing voltage kernel will give better/ higher results than a standard voltage kernel. Which in turn would give better results than a LV Kernel?

Me personally I like having faster speeds, but I like battery life better so would it be safe to say (as long as it works my actual device) it would be best for me to stick to the LV kernels?

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
Skull I have a question that I hope you can just clarify for me. Now I have tried sorting though all the posts on this thread, but it is mind boggling for me. So if this has been asked/ answered then I apologize. Am I right in thinking that an Increasing voltage kernel will give better/ higher results than a standard voltage kernel. Which in turn would give better results than a LV Kernel?

Me personally I like having faster speeds, but I like battery life better so would it be safe to say (as long as it works my actual device) it would be best for me to stick to the LV kernels?

Voltage is what allows the CPU's circuit to work. The more voltage used, the lower the battery life. So why do people need more voltage? Because they want to go faster. As the speed increases the amount of time each electron spends at the circuit is reduced. To compensate for that we increase the voltage to help the circuit work properly.

Now to put those rules into context. Every CPU is technically different. So yours might only need a Low Voltage Kernel to do 1.2 Ghz. Or it might need a Standard Voltage. Or in the worst case you need an Increased Voltage Kernel to do the job.

So always test with Standard Voltage first. If everything runs properly, try Low Voltage next. If everything doesn't run properly, then try Increased Voltage. If non of them work for the speed you are trying to achieve, go to a lower speed and start over.

DylC32A

Reaction score
On SetCPU, when I try to change the sampling rate in advanced settings, it sets back to the default 300000 whenever I turn my screen off. Is there a way to set the custom number so it's permanent?

OP
Skull One

Skull One

Reaction score
On SetCPU, when I try to change the sampling rate in advanced settings, it sets back to the default 300000 whenever I turn my screen off. Is there a way to set the custom number so it's permanent?

I am going to guess you have ondemand and some other governor selected between in use and sleep/standby. If you do, that is one of the bugs/lacking features of SetCPU. It can't do two different governors that having independent advanced settings.

DylC32A

Reaction score
I am going to guess you have ondemand and some other governor selected between in use and sleep/standby. If you do, that is one of the bugs/lacking features of SetCPU. It can't do two different governors that having independent advanced settings.

I did indeed have powersave selected in sleep/standby rather than ondemand and switching it fixed the problem. Thanks, Skull!

Status
Not open for further replies.