[HACKS] Overclock Bionic/Droid3 [Instructions]

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
This breaks the hack, correct?

I don't believe so, a reboot breaks the hack but lowering your minimum after the hack is in place retains the 1.1 or 1.2GHz that you initially installed

Globed

Reaction score
Yea after u set ur frequency lower ur min backdown to 300 other wise ur running max all the time n it will overload n lock up. Also if u make ur system a writable system n it should retain the hack on boot. But be arefull with that bc ur writing to the system. If i mess up it will keep locking up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I don't believe so, a reboot breaks the hack but lowering your minimum after the hack is in place retains the 1.1 or 1.2GHz that you initially installed

It looks like it does break it. Judging from quadrant scores anyways. No real way to confirm.

LLR0717

Globed

Reaction score
When u install the hack make sure u mount your system as writable. Then after installing th hack lower the min back down 300 n check set on boot. Thats what i did and it doesnt break the hack.

bwillie

Reaction score
So I'm having a hell of a time trying to get this to work. Everytime I try and extract the files is say "jzip does not support the compression method used by the archive file '1000' (or '1100' or '1200'). I've checked the **** N00B INSTRUCTIONS **** over at xda and I know I doing something wrong but not sure what. I have SetCPU, Root Explorer, and Better Terminal Emulator. I've set the cpu on on SetCPU to
1000 by 1000, and Open Root Explorer. Navigate to "/system/xbin". Pressed the button at the top that says "Mount RW".
Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Globed

Reaction score
So I'm having a hell of a time trying to get this to work. Everytime I try and extract the files is say "jzip does not support the compression method used by the archive file '1000' (or '1100' or '1200'). I've checked the **** N00B INSTRUCTIONS **** over at xda and I know I doing something wrong but not sure what. I have SetCPU, Root Explorer, and Better Terminal Emulator. I've set the cpu on on SetCPU to
1000 by 1000, and Open Root Explorer. Navigate to "/system/xbin". Pressed the button at the top that says "Mount RW".

Yesss first use es file explorer it works better. Go to settings in file explorer find explore as root then check it. Then right below it check mount rw. Next extract the files n copy them to data/local. Then go to set cpu n set ur min and max cpu at 1000MHz the open terminal emulator type su
Then cd data/local
Then chmod 755 ./1200
Then to double check. Type
./1200
Then go back into.es file explore n un check mount as rw

Last edited:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Are these the NOOB instructions from over at XDA? I just copied them to a file so I could easily follow them. I've made a few minor changes for clarity's sake:

Bionic Overclock by Rick#2 at XDA

Here's how I do it. If you don't already have them, I suggest downloading the following from the Market: "SetCPU", "Root Explorer" and "Better Terminal Emulator". I bought them; the $5 or so was well spent as these three apps are probably ones that I use the most. If you don't want to pay, you can find SetCPU here on xda-developers if you search for it; Root Explorer you'll have to pony up the $1.99 or whatever it is, Better Terminal Emulator you can do without if you look for "Terminal Emulator" in the Market.

Connect your phone via USB to your PC, select from the drop-down in your status bar "USB Storage" or whatever it says, and browse to your phone on your PC. Unzip the attachment from the first post to the root of your sdcard-ext, ie: don't unzip it into any folders after browsing to your phone on your PC, just put them in the root of the drive. You can put them in whatever folder you like but if you want to keep it simple, don't bother putting them in a random folder unless you know what you're doing.

First, open up SetCPU and slide the sliders for Maximum and Minimum all the way to 1000. You can leave everything else alone, after sliding the bars just exit the app. This step is important so don't skip it.

Open Root Explorer. Navigate to "/system/xbin". Press the button at the top that says "Mount RW". This will allow you to save the binaries in this folder as it is normally mounted as read-only.

Now, open Better Terminal Emulator (or whichever terminal program you like, or even use adb if you are so inclined... although if you know how to use adb the following probably goes without saying) and assuming you followed my instructions earlier and saved the files "1000", "1100" and "1200" to the root of your sdcard-ext, type the following commands in, pushing Enter/Return after each one:

cd /sdcard-ext

mv 1000 /system/xbin/

mv 1100 /system/xbin/

mv 1200 /system/xbin/

cd /system/xbin

chmod 755 1000

chmod 755 1100

chmod 755 1200

Now you can run the binaries from anywhere in your terminal without the requirement of being in the folder you've saved them because /system/xbin is typically included in your $PATH variable. Simply put, your phone always looks in this folder for any executable file you try to run if it doesn't find it in the current working directory.

In order to run "1000", simply type:

And push Enter. You can do this from anywhere on your phone. You should see a message that says your phone has been reset to 1GHz.

To run "1100", you guessed it:

Rinse and repeat.

Open Root Explorer and change system/xbin to R/O

bwillie

Reaction score
so after I failed three times my phone kewpie locking up on me, I've gone back to stock then to root. But still locking up, any ideas?

So I'm not sure what I did wrong but its all good now!

Last edited:

Cdjones187

Reaction score
When u install the hack make sure u mount your system as writable. Then after installing th hack lower the min back down 300 n check set on boot. Thats what i did and it doesnt break the hack.<br>
<br>

I don't know how this works for you. System will mount r/o on reboot and the OC wouldnt just stick because the system is mounted r/w considering you HAVE to mount the system as r/w in order to properly 'install' the scripts to the sytem/xbin folder, doesnt make sense. So you must of done something else, otherwise i'm 99% sure that someone would of already figured that out over at xda.

Last edited:

Globed

Reaction score
Use the command terminal. Yes it broke the first time but thats when i used. Es file manager. Even then all i had to do was open up command terminal type. /1200 and it set my clock speeds back. Second android is linux based a good majority of the commands work accept ur apt get i used the command terminal to make the whole system writable. N ive rebooted n it doesnt break accept when it locks up from setting it at 1 min. 12 max

Globed

Reaction score
I don't know how this works for you. System will mount r/o on reboot and the OC wouldnt just stick because the system is mounted r/w considering you HAVE to mount the system as r/w in order to properly 'install' the scripts to the sytem/xbin folder, doesnt make sense. So you must of done something else, otherwise i'm 99% sure that someone would of already figured that out over at xda.

I will post exactly what i did later after work yes. Instruction. When u truly set the perrmissions to w/r it sticks. Using root explorer or es file explorer those are temp not a full permission chang thats why it breaks n thats why it r/o on boot. Ill post everything later i didnt feel like explaining all of what i did

psychotic_penguin

Reaction score
There are also instructions on setting up a tasker profile on boot to run this script - thanks to CraiaSoftware on XDA

Be careful with this one though, once again no one is responsible but yourself

Instructions
  • Launch Tasker
  • Make sure the bottom right "on"/"off" button is lit up green
  • Hit the plus
  • give it a name like "Overclock"
  • Choose Event
  • Choose System
  • Choose Device Boot
  • Click Check mark
  • Click New Task
  • Give it a name like "1200"
  • Click Check Mark
  • Click blue Plus symbol
  • Click Misc
  • Click Run SHell
  • Enter chmod 755 data/local/1200 into the command line
  • select "use root"
  • Click Check box
  • Hit the plus symbol again
  • Click Misc
  • Click Run SHell
  • Enter ./data/local/1200 into the command line
  • select "use root"
  • Click Check box
  • Click Check box
  • Click Check box

Ran this and it works great thanks

Timmyj

Reaction score
Ok, I've put the 1000 1100 and 1200 in the data/local/ and im at the part where you type chmod 755 ./1200 and it keeps sayin no such file or directory.

Cdjones187

Reaction score
Ok, I've put the 1000 1100 and 1200 in the data/local/ and im at the part where you type chmod 755 ./1200 and it keeps sayin no such file or directory.

Open root explorer (or something similar) navigate to /system, mount at r/w.
Navigate to where you put the OC files.
Multi-select and copy/move to /system/xbin/
open up terminal emulator
type 'SU'
type 'cd system/xbin'
type 'chmod 755 1000' and 'chmod 755 1100' and 'chmod 755 1200'
DONT FORGET: Open setcpu (or similar) and change the min frequency to 1000. If you don't, it won't work and your phone will lock up.
now type either '1000', '1100', or '1200' in the terminal for whichever clock speed you want.

By puting the files in system/xbin you are able to run the terminal command in any directory and I find it more reliable and easier to do.

Last edited: