[HACKS] Overclock Bionic/Droid3 [Instructions]

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Droid Forums, XDA, nor any Developer/Member will be responsible for any hack you push to your device...

An experimental hack from XDA to overclock your XT860/XT862

This will not survive a reboot so if it doesn't work for you and causes your device to reboot all will be back to normal upon start up

Things needed

• Downloaded File
  • Root Access
  • Root Explorer
  • Terminal Emulator
  • Set CPU

Instructions

• Download the file and unzip it to your SD card
  • Put 1100, 1200, etc files in /data/local via root explorer
  • Go into setcpu and set max/min both to 1000 on mot_hotplug.
  • Go into terminal and type su, grant superuser permissions.
  • Type cd data/local to change the directory.
  • Type chmod 755 ./1200 to change the permissions of your overclock file.
  • Type ./1200 to change the clock speed (you will get confirmation)

Make sure you put the ./ before the clock speed

This Hack was made possible by yang.felix and Rick#2 from XDA

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are also instructions on setting up a tasker profile on boot to run this script - thanks to CraiaSoftware on XDA

Be careful with this one though, once again no one is responsible but yourself

Instructions

• Launch Tasker
  • Make sure the bottom right "on"/"off" button is lit up green
  • Hit the plus
  • give it a name like "Overclock"
  • Choose Event
  • Choose System
  • Choose Device Boot
  • Click Check mark
  • Click New Task
  • Give it a name like "1200"
  • Click Check Mark
  • Click blue Plus symbol
  • Click Misc
  • Click Run SHell
  • Enter chmod 755 data/local/1200 into the command line
  • select "use root"
  • Click Check box
  • Hit the plus symbol again
  • Click Misc
  • Click Run SHell
  • Enter ./data/local/1200 into the command line
  • select "use root"
  • Click Check box
  • Click Check box
  • Click Check box

Globed

Reaction score
So i Noticed just as a side note if you change your system from a read only to a writable system it sticks through boot. Idk i rebooted and before i installed i mounted my system as a writable system and when i booted back up it still has me at 1.2MHz

Last edited:

Globed

Reaction score
So if we wanted to over clock it out like 1.8 or 1.5 how would we do that? and would anyone provide the files to do so?

wilboy

Reaction score
How will i know if i'm running overclock @1.1 MGz(mine-have had confirmation using terminal emulator)?...i just checked my SetCpu and still in 1000 MHz max 300 MGz min.Thanks!

Bear in NM

Reaction score
I didn't realize we had two threads going and I posted the below in the other thread. It might help here as well.

This is the XDA link. I did not see it on Rootzwiki, but probably not looking correctly. In this link is a zip file which appears to work for the D3. The link also contains the link to the person who actually figured this out, along with the code he/she is using. I am assuming the zip file contains this code. I am on a windows machine, and it appears that you need Linux to see the code in the zip file. When unzipped in windows, they show as zero size files, but with a hex editor program I can see something. They are not empty files.

It appears that in order for this to work, you have to set Setcpu to full throttle, min and max. And Setcpu does not report accurately, but the folks are using benchmark programs to "confirm" overclocking. So when using this hack, your phone is going to be forced to run wide open, no native underclocking. And it would be harmless to try to check for functioning, as it does not survive boot. May not be harmless in use for long periods, but that needs to be tested on each phone. And it appears this is a work in progress.

As to surviving the reboot, probably the easiest way would be to use a program like Gscript and just one button push to start after boot. You could set up an autorun program as one poster mentions, but this could be very dangerous unless you have the backups and system setup to restore from recovery.

At issue here is the overclocking and heat and speed, but just as important is voltage. Folks are reporting unstability at higher clock speeds, but this could easily be a voltage issue, and not just the pure speed. It would be my best guess that as moto is using our omap at reduced clock speed, that they have matched the system voltage to work with the reduced clock speed. If this guess is correct, then until the slots and voltages can be addressed together, there is a bit of dark stabbing going on, as undervolted conditions are just as unstable as excessive speed, and undervolting the CPU may be as harmful as the excess speed. At least with excess speed and voltage you usually get high temps, and the system will shut itself down with high temps. At least to date this has been the case.

I only mention this stuff, as it would be easy to say to yourself, hey it is working and I am good to go because my system is not bootlooping or shutting down. With the D1, Prime got us to be able to set our speeds and voltages so we were able to ensure that we were not in undervolting scenarios, and we could balance performance and battery life. So this is some good stuff, but does need to be approached with a bit of understanding, as all things root.

Craig

wilboy

Reaction score
You will need to set profile fields for setcpu im not sure how to do that though
I can do that using Profile in SetCpu...been using this SetCpu since my D1 era.:biggrin:..But i need to know if there's somethin to look inside the Root Explorer..

wilboy

Reaction score
Thanks CRAIG for clarification!!...reason why i set mine ..just in 1.1 MGz only..Thanks again man!

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
So if we wanted to over clock it out like 1.8 or 1.5 how would we do that? and would anyone provide the files to do so?

Testing has been done with 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5 - all are either highly unstable or decrease performance at this point

How will i know if i'm running overclock @1.1 MGz(mine-have had confirmation using terminal emulator)?...i just checked my SetCpu and still in 1000 MHz max 300 MGz min.Thanks!

The Terminal confirmation is all you will get as the phone doesn't actually know it's running any higher than 1Ghz, therefore SetCPU will not reflect any higher

wilboy

Reaction score
Testing has been done with 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5 - all are either highly unstable or decrease performance at this point

The Terminal confirmation is all you will get as the phone doesn't actually know it's running any higher than 1Ghz, therefore SetCPU will not reflect any higher

Thanks TP76..that is why i overcloked mine just in 1.1 MHz coz i know what gonna happen when you overcloked above 1.2...I'll stay @1.1..:)

OP
DF Smod

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm at 1.2GHz also, you never know if it's going to work until you try it :)