Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez

droid-bionic-root-420x420.jpg

Okay so being the Android user that you are, there is a decent chance that you flash all sorts of stuff to your phone. In that process, however, you likely wander off the upgrade path, rendering your phone ineligible for the latest OTA software updates. How do you get those new updates. You have to flash back to stock. Outlined below are the steps to do that, courtesy of p3droid from mydroidworld forums.

Disclaimer: Droid Forums or myself is not responsible if you happen to brick your device. Proceed at your own risk.

This has only been tested on Windows 7 (32/64)
  1. Download this fastboot file moto-fastboot-win32.zip
  2. Download this Zip (Contains both System and webtop images) Download Now
  3. Create a folder on Desktop named “Stock” <—– can be anything you want
  4. Place the contents of both zip files in the folder named Stock
  5. Put phone in Fastboot mode, connect to computer
  6. Open a command terminal and go to the Stock folder (cd Desktop/Stock)
  7. type this command in the terminal window and wait for the flashing to finish before going to the next line.
    —-> moto-fastboot.exe flash webtop grfs.img (This file will be flashed in 4 parts)
    —-> moto-fastboot.exe flash system system.img (This file will be flashed in 2 parts)
    —-> moto-fastboot.exe reboot
    Your boot image (kernel) and radio files will never go back to stock !!!
Your phone is now back on stock (well the parts that matter anyways) Congratulations.

Okay, you reverted back to stock and updated. The next part is optional. How to root the device…

Download the following file: it contains the exploit, su, Superuser –> Exploit.zip
  1. Unzip contents of folder to your Desktop
  2. open a command terminal and navigate to the folder (cd Desktop/Exploit)
  3. type the following commands
    —> adb push zerg /data/local
    —> adb push su /data/local
    —> adb push Superuser.apk /data/local
    —> adb shell
    —> cd /data/local
    —> chmod 777 zerg
    —> ./zerg
  4. Wait for the root to be gained
  5. type the following commands
    —> adb shell (only type this if you are no longer in shell@targa)
    —> mount -o rw,remount /dev/null /system\
    —> cat /data/local/su > /system/bin/su
    —> cat /data/local/Superuser.apk > /system/app/Superuser.apk
    —> chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    —> chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk
    —> reboot
There you have it! You’ve got root back.

For the lazy ;) 1-click ---> 1-click_exploit.zip

Source and credit: MyDroidWorld

gmorgan056

Reaction score
Thanks Wicked, this makes it much easier. 2 questions though for a, well wouldn't say newb, but not as techie...

1) is the file for number 2 the new OTA update?

2) when you say open the command terminal, that's a terminal on the pc correct? not the one on the phone?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
It does mean a command terminal on a computer but I am pretty sure this is for those who have already updated and need to get back on the update path

quizzard

Reaction score
Well, it worked, sort of.

Somehow I lost the Permaroot through all the flashing, and now the 1 click roots don't work anymore. Any chance you can also link a mirror to the manual root exploits?

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Well, it worked, sort of.

Somehow I lost the Permaroot through all the flashing, and now the 1 click roots don't work anymore. Any chance you can also link a mirror to the manual root exploits?

Here ya go. Exploit.zip

quizzard

Reaction score
Ok.... houston we have a problem...

I was rooted, cheesecake to 893, still rooted.

Today I hybrid flashed back to stock, lost root in the process im spite of the permaroot edit.

And now the one click root and adb zerg does not grant root... my bionic must have gained bunkers and firebats. Is there another method of rooting? On the bright side my phone isn't bricked... but I need the root access!

carlito_droid

Reaction score
i have a bionic rooted with syst version 5.5.886... no custom roms installed all the bloatware is there, anyways i downloaded the OTA update i went into sock recovery by pressing (vol up + vol down and power) so i select the update and select it, it starts and but then it aborts... any suggestions, ideas, or anything i might be doing wrong? any input would be appreciated...

Presi

Reaction score
If I made a backup of stock using CWM, would that be enough to get me the OTA upgrade?

mikedav1

Reaction score
This is a weird one. On my phone, under settings-phone, the version reads "5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US. Now i did not do any of the revert to stock, etc. I only flashed Theory rom 2.0 and Liberty 1.0. My question is, do i have the update or not?

chedder72

Reaction score
This is a weird one. On my phone, under settings-phone, the version reads "5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US. Now i did not do any of the revert to stock, etc. I only flashed Theory rom 2.0 and Liberty 1.0. My question is, do i have the update or not?
Theory is based on .893, it may have updated you. I'm trying to stay on the update path which is why I haven't flashed deblurred yet. But if I can just use my stock nandroid to revert to stock, then get the official OTA I would definitely flash it. The OP says that you can never revert your baseband or kernel...trying to find out if this means I will be ineligible for the official OTA system update.