One Click to get back on upgrade path

synctek

Reaction score
Ok that makes sense as the webtop is a mini-OS right (ubuntu)? So the $10,000 question is how do I do that?

synctek

Reaction score
I don't want to RSD lite the phone and start over if I don't have to but I'm not finding any other way around this. The webtop is impressive but I need to get this phone off of 886 because of all the bugs and I hear the updates bring new radio upgrades and camera improvements. Any suggestions would be appreciated - thx SamuriHL for the info so far!!!:hail:

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
The "easiest" way is to get the pathsaver and run it. That will put everything back to stock and allow you to update just fine. I don't believe it wipes data so it should be safe enough. I have not used the pathsaver myself. My ride back to stock and the upgrade path was, shall we say, unpaved at the time. :) (I was the first to brick my phone attempting to go back to 886 stock before all the scripts were written. A nice RSD FXZ package saved me and unbricked my phone. Thank you Timmy!) YMMV on trying this. If you look in the runme.bat of the pathsaver, you'll see the commands that are used to put the phone into the bootloader, flash the webtop, and reboot the phone. But the version that's included in there is I believe for 886. I don't know what you're currently running and you want to make sure everything matches.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Ah, ok, so you are on 886. Then you could try this. I take *NO* responsibility or credit for this. :) Make sure you have the motorola drivers installed and that your phone is connected to usb and set to charge only mode.

1) Get the PathSaver zip, extract it
2) Open a cmd prompt to the pathsaver directory
3) Run the following commands:

adb reboot bootloader
moto-fastboot flash webtop grfs.img
moto-fastboot reboot

4) After that you should be able to update to 893 and then whatever you want after that.

Again, I urge caution, but, it should allow you to get back to upgrading without blowing away the data on your phone.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Try my last post first. If that fails, then yea, you'll wanna run the pathsaver.

synctek

Reaction score
I dont see that group of commands - where is the latest version of the pathsaver?

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You won't see those commands until you get the pathsaver. Check the first post of this thread to a link to it. Once you unzip it, open a cmd prompt in that directory and type those commands manually. One at a time.

synctek

Reaction score
I had it downloaded and extracted before my first post - I don't see the commands you posted though.

runme.bat
moto-fastboot.exe
aapt.exe
adb.exe
aidl.exe

are the only executables I see.

Ideas?

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You gotta read what I posted. :)

1) Get the PathSaver zip, extract it
2) Open a cmd prompt to the pathsaver directory
3) Run the following commands:

adb reboot bootloader
moto-fastboot flash webtop grfs.img
moto-fastboot reboot

Notice adb and moto-fastboot there? Do they not correspond to 2 of the files you listed? :) The rest are paramters. The webtop file is actually grfs.img.

synctek

Reaction score
I see - dos days are way behind me sorry for the brain fart. I will give it a try.

Thanks again!!

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Not a problem. Good luck! I hope this works for you.

synctek

Reaction score
No go. Still getting the same error message. If the manual and the OTA fail, will the Path Saver fail as well?

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
It shouldn't. I guess that's the route you'll have to take.