Back on the upgrade path!!

Camoxjeep

Reaction score
I was the first one that got the OTA 5.5.893. I also reflashed back to 5.5.886 right after to see if I would get the OTA again to help the dev community (I did not) but kept the radio and kernal. I then flashed Th3orys Kin3tx and even though it said I was on 5.8.893 I still had 5.5.893 radio and kernal.
Just went back to 5.5.886, rooted and forever rooted. Flashed 5.5.893 then just flashed 5.9.901 (that was all nerve racking) hoping it would all go through. Didnt have one hiccup at all. Kept root during the whole process.
Now just to put everything back where I had it (which is the longest part of all this flashing). I will miss the ROM though as I hate having all this bloat.
The testing begins as I have data drops non stop. Crossing my fingers:icon_ banana:

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I was previously on the 5.7 leaked update and now I am back on complete ota rooted 5.5.893. please check out this thread: Getting back on the OTA update path - RootzWiki

Sweet ain't it? That DD command hack for the boot img was brilliant. Now it's down to an exact set of steps and you're golden. Just wish I hadn't accidentally flashed the wrong file and brick my phone but I'll be good tomorrow hopefully thanks to vzw.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

cthebadge38

Reaction score
You bricked your phone attempting to get out of 5.7.893 also? Glad i'm not the only one! I just got a replacement phone today and was like "sweet, somebody figured this out." So I thought I'd be the genius I am and fix the kernal version before sending it back to Verizon so they wouldn't see what kernal I was running...and I somehow bricked it so bad that I can't even bring it back with 43v3r root. I keep getting an error message on the AP fast boot screen that says "invalid cg version (cg: boot)." Any ideas on how to fix this? Has anyone sent a bricked phone back to Verizon before and not had any repercussions from Verizon...?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:

jennandjoey76

Reaction score
"I then flashed Th3orys Kin3tx and even though it said I was on 5.8.893 I still had 5.5.893 radio and kernal.
Just went back to 5.5.886, rooted and forever rooted. Flashed 5.5.893 then just flashed 5.9.901."

Im almost in the same boat (I think). Even putting th3ory on at 893. Problem is I dont know where to get 886 and I deleted 893 off my phone. Can you pm me the links to get them back or post them with a small walk-through? THANK YOU.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You bricked your phone attempting to get out of 5.7.893 also? Glad i'm not the only one! I just got a replacement phone today and was like "sweet, somebody figured this out." So I thought I'd be the genius I am and fix the kernal version before sending it back to Verizon so they wouldn't see what kernal I was running...and I somehow bricked it so bad that I can't even bring it back with 43v3r root. I keep getting an error message on the AP fast boot screen that says "invalid cg version (cg: boot)." Any ideas on how to fix this? Has anyone sent a bricked phone back to Verizon before and not had any repercussions from Verizon...?

They told me to send mine back. So I think it'll be ok. Moto can fix it once they get it back. I bricked mine when I screwed up and accidentally installed a 999 update I was looking at rather than the full update. At that point the boot image no longer matched ANY full update and is essentially bricked. I showed it to VZW and told them what I did and they started the warranty process. I never even asked them to.

wilboy

Reaction score
@SAMURAIHL..hahaha,got mine too back in the upgrade path for 2 hrs. last night!:happy3:

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
@SAMURAIHL..hahaha,got mine too back in the update path for 2 hrs. last night!:happy3:

Only 2 hours? LOL :) I'm still waiting/hoping the new phone gets delivered today. They said overnight, but, that means different things to different carriers unfortunately. I could be outta luck until Monday or Tuesday depending on when they actually ship it out and when whatever carrier they use actually delivers it.

cthebadge38

Reaction score
Thanks for the info brother. I was losing sleep over that one!

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the info brother. I was losing sleep over that one!

Understandable. I wouldn't worry too much. No matter what we flash on our phones, Moto has the ability to reflash and fix it since they hold the keys used to encrypt the bootloader. So they'll probably simply flash it and send it out as a refurb (assuming nothing else is wrong with the phone).

wilboy

Reaction score
Only 2 hours? LOL :) I'm still waiting/hoping the new phone gets delivered today. They said overnight, but, that means different things to different carriers unfortunately. I could be outta luck until Monday or Tuesday depending on when they actually ship it out and when whatever carrier they use actually delivers it.
Yap,that's true man!I used this method Get to 5.5.893 OTA from ANY LEAK - RootzWiki ...follow all the directions and BOOM,got it!:pNow am hunting for the best ROM(hate the bloatware).dunno which one will work w/ 5.893.Any idea?..Why!what happened to your device...and what phone did you get?Neway,goodluck man!... am now a happy camper waiting for the next official OTA(ICS)upgrade!..Oh.. been in VW store( other store) last night too,seems like they have the same answer,last night the guy told me (he's not sure-ICS upgrade) but "may be" 2weeks from now (like the one i've been before)he said.Fingers crossed!!:)
Oh still have a headache..hangover last night too! ;)

Last edited:

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Yap,that's true man!I used this method Get to 5.5.893 OTA from ANY LEAK - RootzWiki ...follow all the directions and BOOM,got it!:pNow am hunting for the best ROM(hate the bloatware).dunno which one will work w/ 5.893.Any idea?..Why!what happened to your device...and what phone did you get?Neway,goodluck man!... am now a happy camper waiting for the next official OTA(ICS)upgrade!..Oh.. been in VW store( other store) last night too,seems like they have the same answer,last night the guy told me (he's not sure-ICS upgrade) but "may be" 2weeks from now (like the one i've been before).Fingers crossed!!:)

I was bricked for over 24 hours. VZW is sending out a replacement Bionic. *HOWEVER*, I was able to unbrick it this morning! How sweet is that?!

A easier way back to the update path - RootzWikihat's what i used and it worked! I'm in CWR right now restoring my stock rooted image. I'll fix that up with the latest stuff (It's from November when I first rooted the phone), and update to 5.5.893 and nandroid again. Then I have to decide if I wanna do 901. However, given that we can get back to stock at any point now, I think it's safe to say I'm likely heading to 901 today. :)

wilboy

Reaction score
I was bricked for over 24 hours. VZW is sending out a replacement Bionic. *HOWEVER*, I was able to unbrick it this morning! How sweet is that?!

A easier way back to the update path - RootzWikihat's what i used and it worked! I'm in CWR right now restoring my stock rooted image. I'll fix that up with the latest stuff (It's from November when I first rooted the phone), and update to 5.5.893 and nandroid again. Then I have to decide if I wanna do 901. However, given that we can get back to stock at any point now, I think it's safe to say I'm likely heading to 901 today. :)
am not gonna try 901 yet.and oh btw,is it still in an upgrade path?

OP
F

filthy1

Reaction score

Congrats man I am really glad that you got it back up and working....are you gonna send the "new" one back. I personally am just very hesitant to jump to 901 since MOTO has released a statement that it is still in testing...and so there is still a possibility that they may change the release....and being that I just got pack on path by the skin on my teeth I personally do not want to press my luck.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
am not gonna try 901 yet.and oh btw,is it still in an upgrade path?

Considering it got pushed to people's phones OTA, it has to be supported going forward. There has been talk of VZW still pushing it to some phones for those who complain. Those who are on it are extremely happy with it.