OFFICIAL Droid X 2.2 Solutions/Issues Thread

mickeyboy

Reaction score
Let's all face it...this phone is a DOG! My ringtones continue to become "unknown"; my music still crashes and when that happens, the video cam. doesn't work at all. (Fortunately, I can reboot the phone and it does go back to normal.) The new problem is that my Jawbone doesn't work either! It starts working then stops and the bluetooth is still checked as though it's connected but no sound on the ear piece. Oh, and let's not forget....the camera takes HORRIBLE pictures.

What do I like about it? One thing, the screen size... that's it!

Soon to switch to iphone (hopefully verizon will have by 2/2011....

Reaction score
Let's all face it...this phone is a DOG! My ringtones continue to become "unknown"; my music still crashes and when that happens, the video cam. doesn't work at all. (Fortunately, I can reboot the phone and it does go back to normal.) The new problem is that my Jawbone doesn't work either! It starts working then stops and the bluetooth is still checked as though it's connected but no sound on the ear piece. Oh, and let's not forget....the camera takes HORRIBLE pictures.

I agree that the camera isn't as good as it could be... horrible is a bit harsh in my view, but I get what you are saying.

Not sure about your ringtones and bluetooth. I haven't had either of those issues with my phone at all. In fact, the only real connectivity issues I have had since the 2.2 OTA update have been with the phone's inability to hold a WiFi connection. All it does is connect, disconnect, connect, disconnect ad infinitum. Motorola have stated that they are aware of the issue and that a fix is slated for the next update. When that update comes is anyone's guess, though, given their release history.

I've had very few problems with my phone compared to people who, say, root their phones or otherwise make non-stock changes to it. Yes, this means my phone has never been rooted and more than likely never be rooted or otherwise radically modified as far as software goes.

So tell us more. Are you rooted? Have you modified anything at all from stock? Have you dropped it or bathed with it? Is it possibly you simply got a bad phone and can maybe return it?

mickeyboy

Reaction score
Wifi issues, too? I was looking so forward to tethering with my ipad. Well, another reason this phone is not for me.

To answer your question, I have never rooted a phone and this my 3rd DX; the 1st two had the exact same issues. I ordered the X only after froyo was launched as I did not like my original droid prior to froyo. Once 2.2 came, the original droid was great and the only reason I bought the X is because it was "the closest thing to the iphone."

Regarding the camera, I'm surprised you don't think it's horrible. Again, my 1st two Xs had the same lousy pictures. I will say that the camcorder (when it works) looks good...

Thanks for the head's up on the wifi...

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score

Your Jawbone doesn't work either? My phone shows my model of bluetooth, but when I try to connect it my phone, my phone won't except it or it will say my Jabra won't except. I took it to verizon and she linked them right away, the SAME exact way I do it. And I've done it with a lot of phones. I gave up on that.

Thanks for the vent;)

vertical

Reaction score
OK after running Froyo for about 5 days now the one constant issue I have is that I can't turn off the phone and turn it back on without waiting for about 2 minutes with it off. If I turn it off and back on immediately I get the M (Motorola) symbol on the screen and it does not go beyond that. If I wait for about 2 mins and then turn it back on it seems to work.

Is this happening to everyone? Is this a reason to swap out the phone?

Downloaded the update manually, hit Install and my phone rebooted ... and hung on the Motorola logo. Would not turn off, would not keep going. The green LED would flash when the screen was blank, but nothing else. Removed/installed battery- same thing. Put the phone in my holster, then at 1pm realized an alarm was going off! Still same screen, green LED, nothing else; would not turn off by holding the power button. The alarm would snooze, but kept coming back.

Got home, took battery out and left it for 30+ minutes. When I put it back in, phone booted up fine; everything appears to be in order. I do have v2.2.

Any ideas? Did this happen to anyone else?

Yes this is happening to quite a few users. When the battery is removed it needs to be left out for at least 1 min. This should address the issue for 99% of the cases.

My symptoms are the same but how I got there is a little different. I went to "About this phone>updates", got the screen informing me 2.2 was available, and selected to download. Figuring it would take awhile I took the dogs for a walk. Half hour later I found my phone with just the Motorola logo showing, and shortly, the screen went dark. I never saw the screen with the "Install" button. I don't know if 2.2 installed or not; I figure _something_ happened to hang my phone.

Repeatedly tried restarting; button did nothing. Finally saw this thread, tried removing the battery for five minutes or so. Restarted, got the red eye for a long time, then a desktop screen (empty), then the Droid restarted, came up to a desktop showing my collection of icons. But the screen was frozen. I waited, finally, it went dark again. Plugging in to power caused the screen to show up again, but still frozen. Finally, screen went dark and stayed that way.

Repeated battery removal, ran through same sequence. Am stymied.

Any ideas?

I am on my second X. This exact thing happened to me. I went to 2.2 and the phone stopped on the M logo. Tried the battery removal, and the phone loaded once, and then it froze. Powered down, and then the M logo again. Took it to the Verizon store, and they tried the hard reset and wipe. Nothing... They got a replacement on order for me. Showed up the next day, and I got to work on getting everything back to normal. Then I started to have some ringtone issues, text chronology, the new text notification flickering on and off when I open the text, sometimes it doesnt even notify me of a new text message, and I have the text suggestions once I close the landscape typing field. I am noticing a lot of lag all over the phone too. From launching new apps, to text entry, and even scrolling from screen to screen. Aggravating! Any word on when a patch is coming? 2.1 Was working perfectly for me!!! :(

Reaction score
Wifi issues, too? I was looking so forward to tethering with my ipad. Well, another reason this phone is not for me.

To answer your question, I have never rooted a phone and this my 3rd DX; the 1st two had the exact same issues. I ordered the X only after froyo was launched as I did not like my original droid prior to froyo. Once 2.2 came, the original droid was great and the only reason I bought the X is because it was "the closest thing to the iphone."

Regarding the camera, I'm surprised you don't think it's horrible. Again, my 1st two Xs had the same lousy pictures. I will say that the camcorder (when it works) looks good...

Thanks for the head's up on the wifi...

Yeah, they pretty much killed WiFi for a lot of folks (me included) with the 2.2 push.

But the camera... my only real gripe with it is that the pictures it takes are somewhat "cloudy." Like as if I were taking pictures in an extremely foggy area or something. They are sharp and pretty vivid, but that cloudiness is just what's turning me off of it. Oh... and it occasionally refuses to get a good focus on whatever it is I take pictures of, but that doesn't happen as often.

About you never having been rooted... I am sorry that your issues couldn't be as simple as that. I am also sorry you are having such a bad experience with the phone. For me, it's been a great experience overall with some minor issues post 2.2 update.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting next. Let us know how it is. :D

michelle4439

Reaction score
I haven't had any real issues with my X. I love the phone. I have had it since they came out in July. The only problem I have ever had is the earpiece speaker is so much lower that my other phones that I have had and I change phones probally every 3 months. Even with the 2.2 update the volume did not improve. I just switched to the Incredible and I like the X better but the earpeice speaker is so much louder on the Incredible. I dont' have any issues hearing ringtones or music. It is only when I am on a call that I have issues hearing the person I am talking to.

jimisbell

Reaction score
Can I switch back to android 2.1?

I am currently using 2.2, but it has issues with my after market battery. Is it possible to switch back to 2.1? Will I really be losing anything I really need if I switch back? I havent the foggiest what Flash is or if I really need it. I dont play games, I use it for technical things.

fishstick600

Reaction score
I've been told you can't flash now because they changes the bootloger. Sooo no you can't go back

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Firesong3k

Reaction score
I am currently using 2.2, but it has issues with my after market battery. Is it possible to switch back to 2.1? Will I really be losing anything I really need if I switch back? I havent the foggiest what Flash is or if I really need it. I dont play games, I use it for technical things.

If your running the official 2.2 Verizon release you cannot sbf back to 2.1. They changed the code in the bootloader, so going back will brick your device and you will have to SBC the 2.2 release to fix it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jimisbell

Reaction score
They did the "Gotcha" on me. Changed the battery management code so now my aftermarket batteries are worthless. Sneaky.

sehaitt

Reaction score
Still having frame rate issues. Thought 2.2 was supposed to fix them? Anyone else?

TripleX

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with why my Animated Text messages that I receive no longer work after upgrading to 2.2 ?