"Official"? Bionic battery life thread

MdicnMan

Reaction score
Running the extended battery here. First day off to play with my new toy. Spent it reinstalling apps, setting up home screens, playing around with Zumocast, mostly on wifi or 3G, breakfast at an Eat n Park with no signal, so of course it was searching.

15h 21mins I was at 50%, I'd say I'm happy!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Was that with Bluetooth turned on? Seems to be a lot of talk about the BT radio killing the battery even if it isn't connected.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

moset

Reaction score
I do not have 4G anywhere close so I have it turned off in settings. When I check battery stats cell standby is always the top user of battery. Even with hours of display use.
Is the display that much more battery friendly or is the radio just a hog?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does anyone besides me seem to have their display as the highest battery user? Also, what apps are you guys using for screenshots? I'm rooted but all of screenshots I try to take come out blurry and messed up for some reason.

TeeX

Reaction score
Does anyone besides me seem to have their display as the highest battery user?

No.
even my first day when I had the screen/display on for 4.5 hours, "Cell Standby" was the highest battery user. No idea why, it was never the case with my DX.

Gremlin

Reaction score
For me everytime cell standby is the highest user .. I have no idea how to stop it either..

brunla

Reaction score
CLEARLY there are problems with the battery life on this device. I'm sorry but what is the point on having a "super smart phone" that you have to turn off 4G and something as simple as Bluetooth?? (Every time I get in and out of my car I have to remember this?) Getting 4-5 hours of battery life with these items on is ridiculous and Motorola needs to work through this in software improvements STAT. We have been waiting through all the BS for this phone for a year so the "improvements" would result in a great phone. This isn't suppose to be another Thunderbolt!

MOTOROLA GET YOUR S*** together. There I said it.

cshokie

Reaction score
I think Motorola has some software updates to make... After removing the phone from the charger overnight, it is very warm to the touch - reporting 107 degrees sitting idle in the home dock, with the screen turned off.

I thought it was a battery problem, so I tried my 2nd battery. I removed from the standard desktop dock at 9am after overnight charging, did some quick email checks, and by 12noon, it was down to 30% with hardly any usage.

BlackTTC6

Reaction score
With the Extended 2700mh battery it's not so bad. Only have gotten down to 70% so far after a full charge since 7 am when i woke up. I would heavily suggest investing in it as well guys

jmlaser

Reaction score
I dont know what everyones problem is. But here is my Initial impresion

Got the phone and used it nonstop on release day(thursday). Had it by running by 10am Let it run all the way to around 5%-10% by the Evening.(5-6pm) on its out of the box charge. Used it constantly(there were a FEW breaks) in Wifi at home setting up all my Apps and screens until around midnight-1am and was still on 70%. Put it on the charger when I went to bed. Off the charger by 10 am friday morning. Moderate use in both Wifi and into a 4G area thru friday night and thru today, (no charge last night) had 15% this morning at 10am and I JUST hit 5% at 1:30. So basically it lasted from 10am friday until 1:30 pm Saturday with moderate/mixed usage. This is better than I expected and is on Par with my OG Rooted D1.

I hope it holds up.

IMHO you MUST let the battery discharge almost completely and then fully charge when batterys are new to properly train them. I have read some conflicting storys to this but in my experiance this works best with ALL batterys that you want to deep discharge.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
So far I've gone 2 hours on wifi with light usage. I'm in a 3G/4G boundary area and I'm at 81%. Not bad. Would probably be better if I turned off 4G. I think I'm going to let the battery run down for the first time even thought it takes forever to charge this thing.

anorman

Reaction score
5 hours, 37 Minutes (from full charge) to 80%

Phone is on 3G (sadly no 4G at my house, although if I go down the street I get it).. Cell Idle = 33%, Bluetooth = 33%, and then a couple other small amounts.. I had a few phone calls, and some text messages during that 5 hours.. installed a couple apps, but very light usage overall..

That being said, it's better than my original droid that it replaced already!

thunder550

Reaction score
Stock battery today....7 hours from full charge to phone shut-off. Wifi and bluetooth off, 2.5 hours of screen on time. One 3 minute phone call. Disappointing. I don't like the bulk of the high capacity battery at all but I'm gonna be stuck with it I guess.

Tillmorn

Reaction score
So...I get great battery life. So far I take the phone off the charger around 8am, get home around 6pm and still have at least 50%. Even the first day where I was downloading everything, watching netflix, gaming, etc. All on 4G. Dunno what you all are doing to drain your battery so quickly, but so far mine is holding up better than my Eris did and yet I'm using it 3x as much for things.

Currently I'm still at 80%, after six hours off the charger. Granted, I haven't used it for much besides calling and texting today, with a little light web surfing, but still...it's holding up tremendously well.

kman79

Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier, I got 14+ hours of use on mine with the standard battery, that pretty much gets me through the day, so no complaints here.

For those running social widgets or widgets that constantly update on the background, you might wanna see what intervals it checks and maybe set it to check less often. Twitter and Facebook was set to check every 15 minutes by default and I've set it to every half hour, just some small things. I also set backlight to turn off after 30 seconds instead of a minute.

I haven't done these yet, but there are some build.prop modifications you can do that help the battery life.