"Official"? Bionic battery life thread

airazona

Reaction score
I have had motorola Droids since they first came out. The original had very good battery life. Since then, imo, motorola and Android are going down hill with hardware and software. I just upgraded from dx to bionic. I have everything set to lowest possible settings to maintain battery. All services are shut off until needed. I don't even sync background data. I still have to recharge after about 6 hours. That's just reading news and some twitter, maybe an occasional game. These products are uber hyped and released with software glitches and hardware problems. I hardly even use my Xoom because its do buggy.

I don't want to go windows or Apple, but it may be time to leave motorola on the shelf.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
I had HORRIBLE battery issues the first day and realized it was because Skype was on in the background using LTE constantly. Since killing Skype things are much better. I havent turned off any services, just skype.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've just been letting it sit (had it for since Thursday so the battery is a little more accurate) and in half an hour, it went down by one percent. I think that's pretty good standby time.

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
well i think that most of the battery life problem is just because of how much goes on with these phone i man dual ghz prossors high res. screens and every thing they can do i think thats the problem not the phone itself. i mean the higher tech these phones get the more battery power they consume to keep everything running. personally i think they need to work on battery technology more with these types of phones.

chadmeister

Reaction score
I have no complaints about the extended battery besides finding a good case for it. I watched a movie on netflix, played 25 songs while I was at worked, talked abut 45 minutes and its been on for 12 hours and its about 3/4 still full and that is with wifi. I haven't adjusted any other setting. For those wondering what it looks like check here: Droid Bionic extended battery | Android Central

Tegamal

Reaction score
Was that with Bluetooth turned on? Seems to be a lot of talk about the BT radio killing the battery even if it isn't connected.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

No, Bluetooth was off. LTE was on, mainly because I forgot to shut it off (no LTE hear yet).

yiannis

Reaction score
With LTE on (we have it everywhere here) and constant use the battery has lasted ~4 - 4 and a half hours all 3 times following complete charge.

I think that turning LTE in an LTE area is ridiculous so it seems that I will be needing the extra battery or the battery dock.

FYI I have drained the battery down to 3%

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
My results:
Day 1 - had horrible battery life.. lasted only a few hours out of the box and had to keep it constantly on a charger to keep it alive
Charged to 100% with old charging block/usb cable.. took nearly 4 hours.
Woke up today and decided to drain the battery to zero.

Used the block/cable that came with the Bionic
0% to 100% took 2:15
Battery lasted 12H10M until 0% (by 0% I mean phone shuts off)
Back onto the charger that came with the Bionic plugged into direct wall power
0% - 100% just under 2 hours.

I am inclined to believe that drain and fill is needed for this device, at least through a couple cycles.
I'm going to drain it one more time in the morning when I wake up and then will see how long the full charge takes again and how long the battery lasts.

One important note... from what I've seen myself and what a few others have confirmed it APPEARS that plugging into direct wall power is working better than plugging into a strip.

Bitterbeard

Reaction score
IMHO you MUST let the battery discharge almost completely and then fully charge when batterys are new to properly train them. I have read some conflicting storys to this but in my experiance this works best with ALL batterys that you want to deep discharge.

You don't need to worry about training li-ion batteries, draining them all the way to 0.0% could damage them though in the long run.

thunder550

Reaction score
Stock battery today....7 hours from full charge to phone shut-off. Wifi and bluetooth off, 2.5 hours of screen on time. One 3 minute phone call. Disappointing. I don't like the bulk of the high capacity battery at all but I'm gonna be stuck with it I guess.

Quoted for reference. Using extended battery now, with wifi. BT still off. 14 hrs 45 min hours on battery, same 2.5 hours screen on time, still at 60%. Looking much better now. Will post results when I drain this one completely down, trying to do a calibration. Im actually getting used to the size of this thing, and find it easier to hold with the larger battery.

Last edited:

Zregnier

Reaction score
Yesterday I had the phone unplugged for 9.5 hrs and it went down to around 25-30% with moderate usage. Half the day at work on LTE, the other half on wifi.

I have noticed some weird stuff with the stock battery % reading. If you plug in a charger any time the phone is over 90% it will tell you it's fully charged. But of course I just look at circle battery widget and see it's not and is still charging and let it finish out. Also, the battery pic in the notification bar is always off. I'll be at 40% and by glancing at the battery pic you'd think I was at 75%.

scooby101

Reaction score
2011-09-09_18-52-26_927.jpg

2700 some mAh as opposed to the stock 1700 some mAh

Heck, the case they sold me with my stock bionic looks identical to this phone with the extended battery. Not sure if they did this to create air flow for the phone or not. If not, it looks like I may have a case that will work with the extended battery

Last edited:

scooby101

Reaction score
I have no complaints about the extended battery besides finding a good case for it. I watched a movie on netflix, played 25 songs while I was at worked, talked abut 45 minutes and its been on for 12 hours and its about 3/4 still full and that is with wifi. I haven't adjusted any other setting. For those wondering what it looks like check here: Droid Bionic extended battery | Android Central

Where did you get this battery? Did VZ have it or did you have to order it off the internet?

jseah

Reaction score
Heck, the case they sold me with my stock bionic looks identical to this phone with the extended battery. Not sure if they did this to create air flow for the phone or not. If not, it looks like I may have a case that will work with the extended battery

Are you referring to the plastic hard case/holster combo? Yes, that one will fit the extended battery, and it is currently the only case available that will fit the extended battery.