Note 4 "Ok Google" not working properly?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Anyone else having issues with Google Now voice activation on the Note 4?

I notice the options have changed. There's no longer an option for "From any screen," but instead there's one for "Always on" and "When Locked."

When I'm in other apps, it doesn't seem to trigger, but when the screen is off, it works with all options turned on. That's really about the opposite of how I want it to work. Not sure if this is because of the newer version of S Voice, but I've turned off the option to launch S Voice via the home button and the option for it to be always listening.

It worked great from within any app on my s4 and I'm not sure why it's changed here, but it doesn't seem to be as useful as it was.

Thinking "out loud" here, but I wonder if they made that tweak since holding the home button brings it up? Bad call in my mind, as I launch Google Now via voice almost as often as I use the home button. Glad it's not a 2-step process anymore, but I'd like to activate it by voice from any screen.

Seems to be the only small complaint I have about the phone so far. I can adjust and adapt, but I like how I was doing things before here.

Anyone else use it? Anyone else notice a difference in its ability to respond?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It's been hit or miss for me, although I'd say it has more hits than misses. But my experience has been a little different. So far, I've noticed that it appears to have more trouble when the screen is off than when the screen is on. It also seems to struggle when there's any sound besides your voice. I haven't really had any issues with it if I have an app running (unless that app is producing sound, then it can be difficult to make it respond).

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's been hit or miss for me, although I'd say it has more hits than misses. But my experience has been a little different. So far, I've noticed that it appears to have more trouble when the screen is off than when the screen is on. It also seems to struggle when there's any sound besides your voice. I haven't really had any issues with it if I have an app running (unless that app is producing sound, then it can be difficult to make it respond).
Thanks for the input. I retrained the voice model when it was quiet, but maybe I'll try again...

Sent from my Note 4

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Now, I don't even have access to the options that I previously had, because apparently the features isn't available in English, even though I had it in English when they were turned on before.

This is getting even more weird...

Think I'll wipe cache & data & start over.

1b0176c1b5994fc2c5296f8206325637.jpg

Sent from my Note 4

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Alright. WTF? I cleared data & force stopped it & now it has "from any screen" instead of "always on," which is what I'm used to, but I don't understand it.

Anyway, it's working how I wanted it to now. Still very strange.

a0c908a227712f52e1d5071ba72a8855.jpg

Sent from my Note 4

bmwnick

Reaction score
it works for me i like it when starting music but prob is once playing it doesn't respond anymore.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm thinking mine was messed up because s voice tried to takeover at first when I set it up. Now that it's been removed from the equation & I set Google now up right, it's working like a charm.

Sent from my Note 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Can anyone get it to launch Poweramp?

delcopa

Reaction score
Alright. WTF? I cleared data & force stopped it & now it has "from any screen" instead of "always on," which is what I'm used to, but I don't understand it.

Anyway, it's working how I wanted it to now. Still very strange.

a0c908a227712f52e1d5071ba72a8855.jpg

Sent from my Note 4

Weird tried to do the same still can't get the any screen. Just went through so of Google now again and double checked s voice before that. Maybe I should reboot and see.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Weird tried to do the same still can't get the any screen. Just went through so of Google now again and double checked s voice before that. Maybe I should reboot and see.

Let us know how it goes.

Do you have the option for it to always listen, even with the screen off?

Sent from my Note 4

delcopa

Reaction score
Let us know how it goes.

Do you have the option for it to always listen, even with the screen off?

Sent from my Note 4

Yeah just like your first pic I believe.
Been testing out different ways to see if the other shows up.

emy5aby2.jpg

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Something's messed up in their code, I think. I had that, then it wouldn't let me select it because it wasn't available in English, which is the same language I had it in when I could check it, then it went away when I cleared data...

Sent from my Note 4

delcopa

Reaction score
Something's messed up in their code, I think. I had that, then it wouldn't let me select it because it wasn't available in English, which is the same language I had it in when I could check it, then it went away when I cleared data...

Sent from my Note 4

at least I got English of the bat lol.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I had English, it just suddenly said the always on potion want available in my language when I went back in after having used it successfully.

I prefer "in any app" anyway, because they always on feature wouldn't bring it up when the screen was on & I was in an app.

Wonder if they're playing with always listening like moto...

Sent from my Note 4