Note 4 and simultaneous voice/data

Hodor

Reaction score
I am sure the answer I am seeking is here somewhere and I am just missing it, but can the Note 4 do voice/data at the same time, or is it like the droid turbo, waiting for an update to advanced calling before it will work? Thanks!

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I am sure the answer I am seeking is here somewhere and I am just missing it, but can the Note 4 do voice/data at the same time, or is it like the droid turbo, waiting for an update to advanced calling before it will work? Thanks!

Should be able to on the Verizon network. I do not own one so I can't be 100% certain, but the only phones I know of that have issues with that are iPhones (pre-iPhone 6/6 Plus) on CDMA networks and phones that are primarily 3G instead of new 4G/LTE phones.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yes, you should be able to on all Verizon smartphones. It's worked great on my S3 & S5.
Bummer for the new Droids....just one more thing you'll have to hope comes with a future update.
S5 tap'n

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Should be able to on the Verizon network. I do not own one so I can't be 100% certain, but the only phones I know of that have issues with that are iPhones (pre-iPhone 6/6 Plus) on CDMA networks and phones that are primarily 3G instead of new 4G/LTE phones.

There are actually some recent Verizon Android devices that do not do simultaneous voice and data right now, such as the Droid Turbo. The reason for this is that they only have one antenna, and only one radio can access that antenna (either the CDMA radio for voice or the LTE radio for data). Verizon originally planned for the Turbo to launch with VoLTE, which will allow simultaneous voice and data over LTE, so there was no need to put two antennas in the device for the two radios. But due to delays in their VoLTE rollout, the Turbo wasn't ready for VoLTE at launch (and still isn't), so it's not able to do voice and data at the same time. Once it receives VoLTE support, it will gain the ability to use voice and data at the same time.

All of that said, the Note 4 does have two antennas, so the CDMA and LTE radios can run at the same time to provide simultaneous voice and data.
Yes, you should be able to on all Verizon smartphones. It's worked great on my S3 & S5.
Bummer for the new Droids....just one more thing you'll have to hope comes with a future update.
S5 tap'n

Indeed it is. Verizon fully expected the Turbo to launch with VoLTE, so when the phone was being designed, the inclusion of a second antenna was pointless. Hopefully they get VoLTE up and running soon on the devices that can't do simultaneous voice and data due to their single antenna design.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Good to know. I haven't found myself in a situation where I needed to find out (and wasn't on wifi), so thanks for clarifying guys!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I haven't found myself in a situation where I needed to find out (and wasn't on wifi), so thanks for clarifying guys!
On my Rezound it was nice to be on the phone ,via Bluetooth , with my wife giving her directions from Maps while on data. She didn't have a smartphone back then and VZNav wasn't taking a Christmas parade causing a major detour that was made worse by construction on its suggested alternate into possible consideration.
Other than that I've never used it either but it was nice to have.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4