no soak test for the bionic bday

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is inaccurate. The whole point of my House of Bionic is to move from one update to another with no data loss.

I stand corrected, but I believe at one time you were recommending if you wanted to try an ICS leak .232 would be the best way to go as you could go back to .905 for the install. I guess you've made improvements. :)

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I stand corrected, but I believe at one time you were recommending if you wanted to try an ICS leak .232 would be the best way to go as you could go back to .905 for the install. I guess you've made improvements. :)

It has nothing to do with the HoB. The reason I recommended that is because 235+ have security that prevent you from ever fxzing to 905. It removes the safety net once you go past 232. This is why I keep repeating myself over and over again. Those on 232 can fxz back to 905 and take the ota from vzw if they want. Or once the ota is finished and being pushed they can use the HoB and upgrade to it from 232 with no data loss. 235+ users will need to use the HoB to upgrade or wait for a new fxz for ICS. I recommended, and still do, 232 because the options are greater... If something goes wrong the fxz to 905 is the ace in the hole.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with the HoB. The reason I recommended that is because 235+ have security that prevent you from ever fxzing to 905. It removes the safety net once you go past 232. This is why I keep repeating myself over and over again. Those on 232 can fxz back to 905 and take the ota from vzw if they want. Or once the ota is finished and being pushed they can use the HoB and upgrade to it from 232 with no data loss. 235+ users will need to use the HoB to upgrade or wait for a new fxz for ICS. I recommended, and still do, 232 because the options are greater... If something goes wrong the fxz to 905 is the ace in the hole.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

OK, I though that if you were on .232 and wanted to go to .242 you had to go back to .905 and go from there. You have it so you can go directly from .232 without going backwards. Fair enough.

andlamv

Reaction score
How do you apply for soak test?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
How do you apply for soak test?

IIRC you sign up at the Motorola Owner's Forum. You're probably too late for ICE, but maybe for the next update.

Last edited:

andlamv

Reaction score
IIRC you sign up at the Motorola Owner's Forum. You're probably too late for ICE, but maybe for the next update.

Okay signed up for Motorola forums, is that it or do i go on some thread?

JohnFH

Reaction score
andlamv said:
Okay signed up for Motorola forums, is that it or do i go on some thread?

You need to sign up at the Motorola Feedback Network. Just do Google search and you'll have the site. You will need to register.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
After their press release last week, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a soak test for awhile...because I think they might just supersede ICS and go straight to JB.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
After their press release last week, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a soak test for awhile...because I think they might just supersede ICS and go straight to JB.
Not gonna happen with all the time and effort they have invested in ICS.

segordon

Reaction score
Sam do you think that once 242 is released for soak and ota, that people running 232 should go back to 905 then to 242 or should we just use hob and install 242? I'm just not sure if it would be beneficial to start with a blank slate or just upgrade from 232 to 242. As always I take your opinion above all else.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I can't speak for everyone on that. The whole point of staying on 232 was to have options so you can make a choice once the OTA is available. I have an opinion on what I'd do if I were in that position. I would personally upgrade to 242 and run it for a bit. And then when I have time, I'd factory reset it and install clean. My problem with going from 232 to 242 and not resetting the data is quite a bit has changed. Who knows what kind of system data changes they've made since 232. I wouldn't waste my time with a 905 FXZ, though....if I wanted a clean install of 242 then I'd simply do a factory reset directly after installing the update in recovery, then clean install my apps and set up my system data clean when it reboots. I've actually done that going from 238 to 242. I just feel that a factory reset once the OTA is out is a good idea. Not strictly necessary, but, here's the thing. I read SO MANY posts with people saying "omg, this build sucks. I have all these issues blah blah blah." Ok.....did you factory reset to see if any of those were caused by corrupt system data? Cause unless an issue is reported by LOTS of people, the odds are in your favor that it's your particular install that's the issue, not the build.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Upgrade from wherever you are, factory reset it, give it a fresh start. The FXZ is just a waste of time IMO. If you do that, you're going to go back to 905 completely minty factory fresh. You'll set up your data and apps, take the OTA, and it'll do the upgrade. At that point, even though 905 is "clean", you're still having to upgrade to 242 and there's potential for things to go wrong during the upgrade. Going from GB to ICS, while they've done a good job on the upgrade script, is still potentially risky. If that's how you wanna get to 242, that's fine and understandable, but, here's where I'm going to annoy those that wanna take that route. I'd STILL factory reset after the OTA installs and reinstall everything from scratch. No time saved.

Again, that's just my personal opinion for those that want the most stable ICS experience. Those that want to risk it can try a 232 to 242 upgrade using the HoB. Those that want to "play it safe" can FXZ to 905 (do NOT try to keep data when going back to 905 from an ICS build...you are just asking for massively corrupt system data if you try it), reinstall all their stuff, and take the OTA. Should work. Maybe. :)

jayrod

Reaction score
Again, that's just my personal opinion for those that want the most stable ICS experience. Those that want to risk it can try a 232 to 242 upgrade using the HoB. Those that want to "play it safe" can FXZ to 905 (do NOT try to keep data when going back to 905 from an ICS build...you are just asking for massively corrupt system data if you try it), reinstall all their stuff, and take the OTA. Should work. Maybe. :)

Yep..phone crashes, etc. I found that out even though I FDR after going back to 905. Made the mistake of installing a few backups and knew immediately that I screwed up.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Yep..phone crashes, etc. I found that out even though I FDR after going back to 905. Made the mistake of installing a few backups and knew immediately that I screwed up.

That right there is going to be the killer for people. People want to save themselves time and use their backups. That defeats the purpose of an FDR unless you know EXACTLY what to restore and what not to. But if you're just going to restore everything, what's the point of an FDR? You're just going to restore the old problems back. When I did mine, I restored most apps without data. I restored a few that I know are ok with data but those were mostly games/tapatalk/etc...nothing that would touch any system data at all. People do some STRANGE time wasting things IMO. Backing up data, FXZ'ing to 905, restoring the data, upgrading to 242....WHY the hell would ANYONE do that? Just upgrade to 242 from 232 and at least give yourself a fighting chance of having it work if you're too lazy or don't want to reinstall your data and apps. Anyway, still just my opinion. People can do as they wish and those on 232 have the most options open to them. I just don't see moving back to 905 as the best way to move forward, personally.

jayrod

Reaction score
Honestly, I wish I had stayed and committed to going forward. There was nothing wrong with. 232 and I miss the fluidity ...but that was a choice I made as boneheaded as it might have been.
Now I'm playing the waiting game on an OS that works better than what can be compared as XP instead of Win7

Woulda,shoulda....

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
LOL. :) We all have to make our own choices when it comes to our expensive devices. I've done my best to give us more choices in a manner that is "mostly" safe. (In that it's a scripted, repeatable process....the potential for something to go wrong is always there and many people have learned that the hard way, unfortunately...hence my mind numbing warnings). More options == better IMO.