Bionic soak test coming

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
The official OTA isn't even released yet. How could anyone know who can or can't install it? Yes, the locked bootloader prevents backwards flashing of the kernel but this was clearly stated many times in numerous posts. I'm on 5.7 also and not worried at all. The dev community is incredibly talented and if a work around is necessary, I'm sure they'll find something.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

We can't know, actually. It all depends on which types of update packages Motorola creates (and VZW pushes).

Back in the Droid 1 days, there would be 2 seperate update files. One was a differential update designed to be pushed out to devices running the latest offical OS; this update was generally quite small in size but would only work if you had the latest official firmware installed. On the other hand, there would be a "full update", technically designed for those that might not be running the latest OS on their device. This update was generally quite large in size, but contained the entire OS.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
IOW

moto's free beta testing.

Soak testing is a step beyond beta testing. The build being soak tested has already been beta tested internally by Moto and Verizon.

The purpose of a soak test is to push the (most likely official) update to a limited number of devices to gauge how well the rollout works and to find any showstopping last minute bugs (the only thing that would cause the build being tested not to become final). In other words, do a small controlled rollout ahead of the main deployment.

EDIT: What I mean by this is the software SHOULD be fully beta tested at this point. The purpose of a soak test should be to test the deployment of the update package, not to test the update package itself.

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
We can't know, actually. It all depends on which types of update packages Motorola creates (and VZW pushes).

Back in the Droid 1 days, there would be 2 seperate update files. One was a differential update designed to be pushed out to devices running the latest offical OS; this update was generally quite small in size but would only work if you had the latest official firmware installed. On the other hand, there would be a "full update", technically designed for those that might not be running the latest OS on their device. This update was generally quite large in size, but contained the entire OS.

Yes, when Froyo came out someone had captured both versions. I did do the manual update with the larger file. I heard that it was what would be sent to the Verizon stores for the techs to install if your phone had a problem with the OTA update.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
You must have missed that check mark box that asked if you agreed to keep this test confidential :)

If they give the OP any smack, I'll personally vouch for him in court, accusing Moto/VZ of negligence towards consumers for NOT telling us about this and leaving us in the dark with issues for months. I don't see the extreme need for secrecy in a soak test after all...

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I am patiently waiting for the push to see what we have coming.:icon_ banana:

OP
S

srgolub

Reaction score
Thanks. For whatever it's worth, the info from my initial post was provided on the page I hit when I clicked the email from Motorola before I agreed to anything.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk