1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Bionic soak test coming

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by srgolub, Nov 14, 2011.

1. srgolub

srgolub New Member

Just got an email from Moto Support Forums that a soak test for the Bionic update will be starting shortly and that the version being pushed to testers is intended to be the actual update released.

I had to complete a short survey and was informed that I'd be included in the test. Will update when I receive the update.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  2. GoBears

GoBears New Member

Good news indeed!
  3. lykofos

lykofos New Member

Sweet, been waiting for this. Hopefully it happens sooner than later. Completely stock / unrooted. Decided to wait for the official OTA update instead of installing the leaked one.
  4. fucco

fucco New Member

I got the update email as well but i have the 5.7.893 patch installed already. So i think i a might wait to see what version motorola is pushing in their update.
  5. konellaz

konellaz New Member

I also have 5.7.893 skimming through forums I noticed that I can't get official OTA even if I use the known methods of returning to stock/unroot.. I understand it remains 5.7.893, but looks stock to the untrained eye... My question is... IS THIS TRUE?

6. GoBears

GoBears New Member

The official OTA isn't even released yet. How could anyone know who can or can't install it? Yes, the locked bootloader prevents backwards flashing of the kernel but this was clearly stated many times in numerous posts. I'm on 5.7 also and not worried at all. The dev community is incredibly talented and if a work around is necessary, I'm sure they'll find something.

7. konellaz

konellaz New Member

Thank you. I'm new. And bouncing forum to forum site people saying this people saying that.. Thanks for the clarification. I have been flashing Th3ory Roms since my TB, so I'm very confident I'll be fine. Just wanted to know a bit more.

8. AlexSB

AlexSB New Member

Yep same here. Usually there'll be a rooted version for us to flash as well. Maybe that thread on unlocking the bootloader makes progress

9. GoBears

GoBears New Member

You're welcome. We can all panic together later lol.

10. ruinah

ruinah New Member

yeah, usually there are ways to go back if needed. I installed the leaked OTA and the data issue and audio in the headphones went away. Still have wifi issues though where it takes forever to find an access point and connect. Hopefully the OTA soak will just overwrite what I have. Be interested to see the build once they push the soak this week. Probably won't happen until Thursday though.
  11. Scribble

Scribble New Member

What'sa "Soak Test?"
  12. ruinah

ruinah New Member

it's when the manufacturer sends out the updates to a control group. If you are part of the Motorola Feedback network you would get an email, you answer a few questions and then they push the update to you within a day or two. They give you a private forum to report bugs or issues back to so they can tell if the update is truly ready for general release or not. If not, they go back and fix and then do another soak test. If all proves ok, then general release is usually a week or two later.
  13. Speeding Wheels

Speeding Wheels New Member

actually Moto has been sending out the regular release 1-2 days after the soak test begins as of late.
    I wouldnt be surprised to see it hit the masses by this weekend
  14. jeremym

jeremym New Member

You must have missed that check mark box that asked if you agreed to keep this test confidential :)
  15. DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs Member

IOW

moto's free beta testing.
  16. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Got invite today! :D
  17. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Awesome!

Sent from Tapatalk
  18. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Yea looking forward to see what it does :)
  19. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

We can't know, actually. It all depends on which types of update packages Motorola creates (and VZW pushes).

Back in the Droid 1 days, there would be 2 seperate update files. One was a differential update designed to be pushed out to devices running the latest offical OS; this update was generally quite small in size but would only work if you had the latest official firmware installed. On the other hand, there would be a "full update", technically designed for those that might not be running the latest OS on their device. This update was generally quite large in size, but contained the entire OS.
  20. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

Soak testing is a step beyond beta testing. The build being soak tested has already been beta tested internally by Moto and Verizon.

The purpose of a soak test is to push the (most likely official) update to a limited number of devices to gauge how well the rollout works and to find any showstopping last minute bugs (the only thing that would cause the build being tested not to become final). In other words, do a small controlled rollout ahead of the main deployment.

EDIT: What I mean by this is the software SHOULD be fully beta tested at this point. The purpose of a soak test should be to test the deployment of the update package, not to test the update package itself.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011