New girl on the block

jodimccann

Reaction score
Hi! I recently upgraded from my beloved Blackberry Curve to a Droid Eris. A friend sold me on it, although all the greasy fingerprints on the touch screen kept me from buying one for months. Anyway, now that I have it (thank goodness for my tech-y 16 year old son, who spent hours setting up my scenes and teaching me about it) I adore it!!

I have only had to go visit Verizon a couple times for help :) so far.

My pressing question right now is this: I love the applications, such as Grocery IQ (which I've spent hours loading my favorites grocery items in for use) and Receipt Filer, which saves important information about so much in my life. Finally, the question: I know if I use the verizon wireless backup assistant, just my contacts are backed up.

Is there a way to back up the information stored in my applications, etc.? I'd hate to lose that and if my phone is lost, stolen, or damaged beyond repair, it's GONE, BABY, GONE...right.

Thanks for any help!

Jodi

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums and to the droid. Your contacts with the droid are actually backed up by google as part of it's sync function, so that way if you loose your phone and have to get a new one, all your contacts sync with the new one. As far as backups go, i believe most here like i believe it's called titanium backup, as it also repairs apps onced backed up so you can see them in the app market again for update.

OP
jodimccann

jodimccann

Reaction score
back up reply

Thanks!!!

So what you are saying is "use the back up assistant"...

What about a "titanium back up"? I guess I'll just google it.

Thanks for the quick response.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome, jodimccann! You'll find this to be a very friendly place full of great people and information! Hope you enjoy your time here!

:welcome:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Welcome jodi........

Enjoy your new Eris.

I don't use back-up programs because of what Sam said above. On my end it's kind of redundant but some people really like the app.

Good luck, great to have you here.

OP
jodimccann

jodimccann

Reaction score
Hi

I looked above...what did Sam say about backups?

I found the titanium application but you have to be "rooted" to use it, whatever that means...I am going to call Verizon about it soon.

Thanks!

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have only had to go visit Verizon a couple times for help :) so far.

Thanks for any help!

Jodi

Well, now that you are here you won't have to do that anymore, welcome aboard!

If you go on the web to gmail.com and log into your email you'll see all your contacts, email addresses, etc, that are on the phone should be on the web. If you delete one from the web it will be gone from the phone and if you add/delete one on your phone the same will happen on the web. All taken care for you!

also...any apps you get purchase are also saved so if you need a replacement phone or upgrade to another android phone you don't need to repurchase them.

Slider46

Reaction score
Hi

I looked above...what did Sam say about backups?

I found the titanium application but you have to be "rooted" to use it, whatever that means...I am going to call Verizon about it soon.

Thanks!

Titanium will backup all your apps/settings/data BUT you need to be rooted (as you noticed).

Rooting (in a nutshell) gives you full unrestricted access to the phone and all it's files/data. This enables you to use "root-only" apps and other features that would otherwise not be usable.

There is a downside however....Rooting the phone technically voids the warranty can could cause problems should you take the phone to Verzion for service/help while rooted.

I would suggest downloading "Mechanic" (by sprite software) which will allow you to backup at least the apps without rooting - but i'm not sure about the data tied to the apps.

Last edited:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome jodi........

Enjoy your new Eris.

I don't use back-up programs because of what Sam said above. On my end it's kind of redundant but some people really like the app.

Good luck, great to have you here.

Glad sam made a comment at all ? :icon_eek:

Yeah sorry i forgot the backup required root. I haven't used many backup programs, never really needed to.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I use MyBackup. I'm not positive but I believe it works for rooted and unrooted devices. Astro is another app that you may want to consider. It works on any device.
Mike

MotoDroid

Reaction score
Welcome Jodi! You will find people of all skill levels here, so advice is only a click or two away... I would like to add that some programs save their data on the sd card so that in the event of an app needing reinstalled, it finds your original data on the sd card and viola! Data is back! I have a few that do this, but i'm not sure many do.