Net Neutrality Rules Overturned By FCC

Discussion in 'Android News' started by DroidModderX, Dec 14, 2017.

1. DroidModderX

DroidModderX Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,242
    [​IMG]

The one thing I think most Americans could agree on regardless of political party affiliation was Net Neutrality the Obama era rules that forbade ISPs from favoring some internet content over others. The FCC just voted to repeal these rules. This change could open up the door for ISPs to charge more for the backbone that powers services like Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube. If ISPs decided to charge those larger companies more for faster speeds and those companies decided not to or simply could not afford the fees consumers may end up with a much less appealing end product.

ISPs could also charge you and I more for "add-on" services like some other ISPs in countries like England that charge extra fees for social media, messaging, and video streaming. The FCC argues that ISPs won't make these kind of anti consumer changes since it would anger their customer base. That might be so in places that have many options, but many Americans have only one option for an ISP so they would be at the mercy of that ISP. Some Americans that have two ISPs to chose from wouldn't fare much better.

These changes will go into effect as soon as next month. That being said the FCC's decision here is not the final word. Congress can still overturn this. You can sign the petition to take this to Congress at the link below. Now would also be a good time to research where your Congressmen stand on this issue. If they are against Net neutrality it would be a good idea to give them a call and let them know that you, their constituent, would like to have the decision by the FCC reversed. Head to the link below to find the congresspeople in your state. Information is provided to tweet, email, or call them. Let your voice be heard on the matter.

Sign the petition to get Congress involved
    Contact your Congress People

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,388
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Note 3
    This is not the time to be complacent. Despite that the FCC chairman, Ajit Pai, wanted to insist that net neutrality rules were unnecessary and thinks we should put faith in our ISP providers to do what's right by consumers, we will soon see how necessary net neutrality rules are. The internet as we know it can change dramatically & drastically.

The FCC Just Killed Net Neutrality—Now What?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. me just sayin

me just sayin Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +1,723
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    so he thinks we can trust big corporate boards who must make millions in order to pay dividends to their stockholders or else.

I don't think there will be any major changes at the moment because they must help their corporate lackey at the fcc save face.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RETG

RETG Active Member

Ratings:
    +100
    Good. Like the government does a great job of controlling things in our lives. Government controls have a bad habit of stopping free trade and advancement in all industries.
    The internet seemed to run quite good from the Clinton years to 2015 with free enterprise. If my memory serves me correctly, there were sure some great advancements, companies created, etc., prior to 2015.

But just wait, in a few years some other moron will jump in and turn it all around again.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. boidsonly

boidsonly Active Member

Ratings:
    +106
    Pai is clearly in bed with the ISPs and plans to go back to a cushy job at one of them when he leaves the FCC. This is one exception to the "get big Gov't out of our lives". There is currewntly nothing that affects EVERY American more than the death of Net Neutrality. Ensure you you accomplish both actions on the OP and forward the link to your family/friends.
    Sadly, your Reps on both sides of the aisles are major stockholders in all the ISPs, so they are not going to willingly cut their own throats. It will take your threats of replacing them come election time to get them to vote on your behalf.
    Put down your remote and do something about it...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. hammerhead13

hammerhead13 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +639
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy Note8
    ISPs do not do Right by Customers. Does he Pay his Cable Bill? I have Cable, Internet and Phone and my Bill is ~$230/mo. Its ridiculous. Then Comcast says over 1TB of Usage and hen there are Fees. I usually use ~600GB/mo have maxed to 800GB mostly do to Netflix and other Streaming Services since i only have 1 TV and all the Others use Streaming Services. I work from Home so I do need the Phone as to anyone who might wonder why anyone needs a home phone.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Silver Member

Ratings:
    +640
    Forget it. I get shouted down on multiple forums for being against NN. People are worked into a fury by what they read instead of stopping and considering the logic in what they are being force-fed. Which is the exact accusation leveled at you if you are anti-NN, ironically.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +6,345
    To interject I have voiced my initial thoughts on YT but I'm going to say it again here.

The reality is that not enough Americans cared or knew they should care. There are a lot of Americans who are use to the norm that we get cable through cable companies and don't know why nn will effect that. About time some of those were made aware it was too late.

The FCC banked on the fact Americans would not care and they were mostly right because this was not treated as a big deal after the vote. News channels, sports channels, all glossed over it and when some of the news did talk about it they spent very little time on it. The news that got all the attention was Disney Fox which were lined up perfect to take advantage.

I think people will continue to evolve and figure out ways around it. Yeah it will hurt a lot but people will grow businesses around those challenges. Ie the death of Blockbusters the rise of Netflix.

Basically despite the change we will find away, so keep your heads up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

9. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Silver Member

Ratings:
    +640
    Maybe. But the problem I have with the pro-NN crowd is the stance that no one is against it unless they are misinformed or dumb. I am not accusing you of saying that but it could be inferred from the way you worded this above.

I am fully aware of the issue and I still do not like government regulation. Even if the intent is to fix other government regulation. The problem is lack of broadband ISP competition at the local level, but the answer to that problem is not to put into a place a draconian regulation the the federal level. That's why I am opposed to Title II.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. kinfolk248

kinfolk248 Active Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Funny how ppl don't mind monopolies until they're pinholed by one and need help...

11. me just sayin

me just sayin Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +1,723
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    good point about competition, if there were competition, then the net neutrality would not be needed. the problem is service providers really do not have any competition in most areas. and they are trying to get laws passed in many states that protect their monopoly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. inmate369

inmate369 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    i keep hearing that ISP will block and deny service to customers?? now why would they do that. they want money right, they dont want to loose customers. Also if you dont pay your bill they will block or deny you services, thats what there referring to

Search tags for this page

azs