Looks like the battle to protect net neutrality is going to continue.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
they don't listen to the people. they only listen to the money. those who work for the fcc are either from the cable industry or hope to have a future in the cable industry when they leave government service.

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
they don't listen to the people. they only listen to the money. those who work for the fcc are either from the cable industry or hope to have a future in the cable industry when they leave government service.
Actually, we (people) were able to stop this before when it was being threatened. If it weren't for the millions of people that signed petitions, wrote letters, made phone calls, etc we would not have net neutrality now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
For me it boils down to people wanting everything for nothing. So the ISPs, who also provide content, have to lose money on the content because consumers are paying other content providers while using their bandwidth to deliver that content.

That's like your neighbor growing crops on your property but not giving you any of the profits when they sell those crops. Doesn't make sense. I realize we are all out to get things for nothing. That is why the "free smartphone on contract" was so popular. When that went away people were up in arms over that too.

So yes, you might have to pay more to stream Netflix. Isn't that only fair?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
What? Are you joking? Playing Devil's Advocate, I hope.
I pay Spectrum for Internet Service. That's it. That's all I pay them for. I'm not paying them for content. I get to choose who I get content from. I want to get Hulu... Spectrum should not care where I stream. But Netflix has the deeper pockets, so they pay Spectrum to get the high speed stream. Spectrum then wants to charge me to provide this better stream. That's ok to you? You're really okay with this?
If Spectrum wants to make content, afaik, they themselves do not, then they need to compete with GOOD content. How is it fair for them to compete...by slowing down the competition? Spectrum already has a monopoly in my area. I have no choice of another ISP. (Ok, I do today but didn't for 10 years).
It is nothing like your farm analogy.
I am only paying Spectrum for Internet.

I gotta out the phone down now. I'd love to continue. LOL.

Happy Thanksgiving, brother. Thankful I have people like you to discuss things like this with.

Sent from my Moto Z2 using Tapatalk

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
LoneWolfArcher I have to respectively disagree. I pay AT$T every month for my internet. Now if they raise their price by 5 dollars a month, so be it, I'm fine with that. If the want 5 dollars just so I can watch YouTube at normal resolution and un-buffered, I'm not fine with that.

If they choose to make content and are unprofitable doing so that is their choice, and only their choice. If a movie mogul makes an epic movie and it flops at the box office who's fault is it? The box office? NO. Should the box office now charge an extra 5 bucks on every movie to reimburse "movie mogul" for making a bomb of a movie? No.

But the gist of NN is not about ISP's making content. NN is about ISP's playing favoritism to tech companies, and yes that means who pays the most will get preferential treatment. Example; In the free market world, A company sources the cheapest price and still sells it for the going rate in the target area. Does the company pass the savings on? No. Most glean the extra profit and pay their shareholders or the CEO gets a bonus. This happens with a tangible product. ISP's will bury any non "pay yo play" entity to the bottom of the deck. And they're poised to double dip, lets charge the end consumer too.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Actually, we (people) were able to stop this before when it was being threatened. If it weren't for the millions of people that signed petitions, wrote letters, made phone calls, etc we would not have net neutrality now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

it is all about appearance. they want to give the perception they are listening to the public.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
For me it boils down to people wanting everything for nothing. So the ISPs, who also provide content, have to lose money on the content because consumers are paying other content providers while using their bandwidth to deliver that content.

That's like your neighbor growing crops on your property but not giving you any of the profits when they sell those crops. Doesn't make sense. I realize we are all out to get things for nothing. That is why the "free smartphone on contract" was so popular. When that went away people were up in arms over that too.

So yes, you might have to pay more to stream Netflix. Isn't that only fair?
lol are you serious? if only it was that simple. here are some examples of MAJOR isps doing what ever they want before net neutrality took place....

2005 - Madison River Communications was blocking VOIP services. The FCC put a stop to it.
2005 - Comcast was denying access to p2p services without notifying customers.
2007-2009 - AT&T was having Skype and other VOIPs blocked because they didn't like there was competition for their cellphones.
2011 - MetroPCS tried to block all streaming except youtube.
2011-2013, AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon were blocking access to Google Wallet because it competed with their bullshit. this one happened literally months after the trio were busted collaborating with Google to block apps from the android marketplace
2012, Verizon was demanding google block tethering apps on android because it let owners avoid their $20 tethering fee. This was despite guaranteeing they wouldn't do that as part of a winning bid on an airwaves auction. (they were fined $1.25million over this)
2012, AT&T - tried to block access to FaceTime unless customers paid more money.
2013, Verizon literally stated that the only thing stopping them from favoring some content providers over other providers were the net neutrality rules in place.

this is only the things that were covered by major news outlets that made them pay the fines, that number of things that aren't reported on a hundreds of times more! if i was a verizon customer right now i'd be VERY worried. you think you're paying a lot now? just wait!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Bought and paid for by ISPs. Period. They don't care what we have to say. But we did slow it down. It would have passed already if not for us. So many people never even heard of this, or misunderstand it (see above).
FCC explains why public support for net neutrality won’t stop repeal
We need to spread the word. Saying nothing we do matters is admitting defeat.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Today is the day. Frustrating to know that the decision was already made when a certain person was paid to make it happen regardless of what people wanted.

Here's to the fall of net neutrality.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
And the cable wars will come to the ISP's. "No, you can't watch the Dodger's games unless you cough up more money". "No, you can't watch KTLA unless you cough up more money". "No, you can't watch ABC unless you cough up more money".

It is coming, mark my words. Maybe not this year, but in 2018 for sure. Look how well Amazon and Google play nice together, ;). Just let the biggies start to wield their money swords and see who gets chopped off at the knees.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
That's just the tip of the iceberg. Want the social media fast lane package? That's an extra $5/ mo.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Today is the day. Frustrating to know that the decision was already made when a certain person was paid to make it happen regardless of what people wanted.

Here's to the fall of net neutrality.

I thought it was thursday...oh well, as you said the decision has already been made.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I thought it was thursday...oh well, as you said the decision has already been made.
Think you're right, I believe it is suppose to be on Thursday.

My bad, false alarm.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk