Net Neutrality Lives! FCC will Classify the Internet Under Utility-Style Rules

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Has anything the Government ever done that has benefited the people "except cost us bazillions", everything they have touched has turned into turd, especially our most recent Democratic party.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Seat belts, air bags, water quality, safe working conditions, clean environment... I can go on and on.

My guess is you have never lived under a different government who didn't care about its people?

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seat belts, air bags, water quality, safe working conditions, clean environment... I can go on and on.

My guess is you have never lived under a different government who didn't care about its people?
This has noting to do about caring about it's people, and trust me the Government NEVER cared about it's people, it only cares about it's bottom line, time to remove those rose colored glasses you are wearing.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The problem with your argument is that the cable companies are already regulate in that you cannot have competing cable providers in the same zip code.

Huh? I have the choice of AT&T and Comcast, plus DirectTv.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
This has noting to do about caring about it's people, and trust me the Government NEVER cared about it's people, it only cares about it's bottom line, time to remove those rose colored glasses you are wearing.
Lol rose colored glasses? I grew up in a communist superpower, there is nothing rose about my glasses.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Yeah, wonderful choices. If you consider that a choice, then more power to you.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

I live in an area where I only have the choice of satellite for TV and AT&T for internet. Unless I go wireless, which isn't cost effective.

And I am not in a rural area. I am in a suburb of Atlanta, densely populated. However, the only cable company here, Charter, never ran cable in my subdivision, which is about 2 years old now. Repeated calls to them, and they have told me flat out that it isn't worth their time to run cable for 72 homes. Meanwhile, every subdivision surrounding us, has cable. The house across the street from our entrance, has cable. They literally just have to tap into that and run the lines down 3 streets to 72 homes, but again, it isn't worth their time.

So I can only get ATT DSL service. Which is abysmally slow. It's copper line DSL like I had in 2003... I had DirecTV for TV, but the internet was horrible, so they just upgraded me to U-Verse... Now I get 45mbps, but all I really have are two copper line DSL signals merged together, and since upgrading to Uverse, I see my connection dropping several times a day... messing up my recordings, cutting me off from the internet, which sucks when you work from home and rely on it...

So what are my options? Move? Not feasible...

But because you can't have cable companies servicing the same area, I have no options. If the cable company that covers this area decides not to offer me service, I am dead in the water...

swc2001

Reaction score
You all have seen my posts... Yall know politically I am very Conservative. I am Usually against Govt involvement in most anything.... All of that to say that so many of my Conservative friends see this Net Neutrality as the DEATH of the internet.... I just dont understand it!! I mean you had Verizon, AT&T, and Comcast ALL rooting against this Net Neutrality because they want a piece of NetFlix action as well as setting a precedent of being able to charge MORE for fast lanes and MORE to content providers. This was nothing more than a Chicago style shakedown! I dont know WHY my Conservative friends dont see this!!
NOW the thing that is scary is IF after Wheeler is gone.... Will the Govt abuse more... I dont have the answer to that. But keeping it Open is definitely the way to go! All in all I see Wheelers move for title II a win for the little guy!

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
You all have seen my posts... Yall know politically I am very Conservative. I am Usually against Govt involvement in most anything.... All of that to say that so many of my Conservative friends see this Net Neutrality as the DEATH of the internet.... I just dont understand it!! I mean you had Verizon, AT&T, and Comcast ALL rooting against this Net Neutrality because they want a piece of NetFlix action as well as setting a precedent of being able to charge MORE for fast lanes and MORE to content providers. This was nothing more than a Chicago style shakedown! I dont know WHY my Conservative friends dont see this!!
NOW the thing that is scary is IF after Wheeler is gone.... Will the Govt abuse more... I dont have the answer to that. But keeping it Open is definitely the way to go! All in all I see Wheelers move for title II a win for the little guy!

Dude, I am asking my Conservative friends the same thing... Their entire argument seems to be that if Obama is for it, then we need to be against it.

As a rule, that probably works... our prez is a moron and is one of the worst ones we have EVER had... That said, it's impossible for someone to get EVERYTHING wrong, just as it is impossible for the other "team" to get everything right...

This isn't Obama's issue. This has been brewing for a long time, and just came to a boil when this clown happened to be in office. I don't agree with Obama on much, but I think that he did the right thing here.

But most Conservatives are so into cheerleading for their team, that if Obama cured cancer and gave it away for free, they would find something to complain about. LOL

One item that I will say, is that Obama should have released the documents of the law prior to enacting it. Let people see what's in it, before you pass it. He did that with Obamacare and look at the mess it has made.

So I do get that part of being skeptical...

PhreighnQ

Reaction score
I think it just hard for some people to say this is a good thing without having seen what the rules actually are. They might be very much in favor of the concept of net neutrality but refuse to support the unknown provided so far.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I think it just hard for some people to say this is a good thing without having seen what the rules actually are. They might be very much in favor of the concept of net neutrality but refuse to support the unknown provided so far.
This right here is my main fear.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
I don't care so much about Netflix and peering agreements. I care about the requirement to provide service to customers we can't service in our area. We operate a little differently than wireline services, so I cannot just run a wire tl the customer. If we deny service, under old Title II rules, we could be subject to lawsuits.

I still do not believe it is Netflix's responsibility to pay for access. The last mile provider needs to do that, otherwise, what are they in business for?

I shall read later.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't care so much about Netflix and peering agreements. I care about the requirement to provide service to customers we can't service in our area. We operate a little differently than wireline services, so I cannot just run a wire tl the customer. If we deny service, under old Title II rules, we could be subject to lawsuits.

I still do not believe it is Netflix's responsibility to pay for access. The last mile provider needs to do that, otherwise, what are they in business for?

I shall read later.

I for one, admittedly, backed net neutrality based on Netflix and to see that just made be continue to se how we continue to remain the pawn on the chessboard between business and government. I wonder if people would still feel as strongly as they did about netneut had netflix not been the face of it?

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Hard to say honestly. Because of the telecom like restrictions imposed using Title II to make promises to people that no one can live up to is silly. Our company thrives on people not being serviced by AT&T and TWC. Now they change the speeds defined as broadband and screwed us. Yet AT&T will drop a DSLAM on the corner of a back road, add equipment that only services 10 customers, then label that area as covered on the National Broadband Map. That means my company cannot get funding to build out in that area because it is marked as covered. And there is little to no recourse to fight it, as everyone seems to believe AT&T.

I want an open internet. I believe in Net Neutrality. I do not believe Title II was the answer to getting there. The FCC voted on it because the Supreme Court shot them down saying the Open Internet Order could not be legally backed. Putting broadband providers under Title II gave them the power to do so and possibly destroyed every small internet provider.

I am still waiting to hear exactly how this impacts us. There has been talk of closing down our wireless business.