Net Neutrality Lives! FCC will Classify the Internet Under Utility-Style Rules

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 26, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

We knew it would be coming soon. The FCC had their final meeting regarding the Net Neutrality debate. As the FCC Director Tom Wheeler shared in his proposal, the FCC will now classify the Internet under the Title II classification. This basically categorizes the Internet like a utility and allows the FCC to keep ISPs from blocking or slowing down traffic on wired and wireless networks. It also bans ISPs from charging content providers differently for any type of paid priority "fast lanes," even in the case of network congestion.

This classification will be applied to both wired and wireless broadband networks to prevent ISPs from favoring bits of data over each other. Here's a quote with a few more details regarding the resulting furor over the official announcement,

These new rules will be published in the Federal Register within the next few weeks.

• Like Like x 3
  2. wicked

wicked Administrator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,698
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Twitter:
    @MikeAlvez
    Great news! The internet wins!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. whippleman

whippleman Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Common sense actually prevailing for once? :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +760
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    It'll only be time before the ISPs decide to do something different to circumvent this. Maybe create a company that handles all the data before it gets to ISP where rules for fast lanes apply before the ISP ever does anything.

5. deborah3756

deborah3756 Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Well, for those of us who are Internet dummies, I don't understand this whole thing. Can someone please explain it in dummy terms. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V

6. jkaod

jkaod Gold Member

Ratings:
    +416
    Since when does having the government control or regulate anything make things better? Regulating like a utility or leveling the playing field as they say, reduces or eliminates competition which reduces or eliminates innovation and ultimately results in poorer service and increased cost. Think about your power company, water company etc...do you have any choices as far as a provider? How much innovation have you seen...None. Has your cost gone down? Not mine. It's always gone up,sometimes by a huge amount. How about banking? Have your banking costs gone down with all of the government regulation? Nope. Insurance is another perfect example. For those of you buying your own insurance, has your cost gone up or down over the past year since obamacare kicked in and basically took over the insurance industry. This doesn't count for anyone on obamacare as it is just a form of welfare subsidized by those that aren't on it. From my experience in talking with 40-50 patients a day, the costs have gone up a lot and the service they receive from the insurance company has gone down significantly.
    Let the free market control things and then people have the choice to go with what ever company provides them with the best service for the lowest cost.
    End of rant.

#6 jkaod, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. boidsonly

boidsonly Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Charter got their price increase in last month ahead of this ruling-for me it went up $5, just because they could.

The real question is: Did Wheeler close the loopholes that were pointed out or did he leave them open as a compensatory gesture to the ISPs? Let's see what happens in the coming days/months.

@jkaod: all valid points except your last sentence. The ISPs have geographical monopolies and there is no alternative in most areas in every state. If/when the TW/Comcast and other mergers are approved, there will be no competition what-so-ever.

Sadly, the world is laughing at us...

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,860
    You make a good argument.

Yes competition and free market spurs innovation. The reason why we are where we are at especially with smartphone tech is because apple, google, htc, samsung, motorola, etc are allowed to compete. With that said with something like internet you have to take in account that right now in many cities cable companies have almost exclusive access. Plus I do not think a company should be able to dictate what I can consume by slowing down netflix so they can push their own streaming service. Something like the information on the internet should not be allowed to be touched by said carrier. The competition between carriers and cable company should be based on infrastructure not them interfering with the net.
    Lastly if a company is taking government kickbacks I think it is absurd to then complain about government interference. Be like taking money from the mob and then getting mad when they are demanding you fix a game. When you take the money you know there are strings attached. If you do not want the strings then don't take the money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,029
    best news of the year. google fiber can't come soon enough! F U cable!

10. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +933
    time to bump up the taxes to pay for all this new, beneficial regulation! Although "net neutrality" is and has been a debate of hypotheticals, your tax increases will be very real!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. grenefroggie

grenefroggie Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Nexus 5
    As an employee for an ISP, I would say wait until the actual rules are released before making any judgement.

I can say for one, I am not impressed or pleased. We had Commissioner Pai and Commissioner O'Reilly fighting on our side, and if you listened to them speak before the vote happened you will understand what they were fighting for.

I hope it gets blocked, I hope the courts shoot it down. Regulation costs money. I don't want to charge my customers more money just so I can be Title II compliant.

I'll give more on it later before the rules come out, and I will explain the position myself and our industry holds and why this is going to hurt consumers.

#12 grenefroggie, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1