Motorola Tells Customer to “Buy Elsewhere” if They Want Custom ROMs

GodfatherIP

Reaction score
Bye Motorola. Not like its the only phone on market. Kinda stupid to brag about removing a feature on your flagship phone. I have no loyalty to moto....plain and simple...if they don't provide what I like buy a different brand...sales goes down for them ...so its their own problem.
What's greater fiscal burden ..few returns of bricked phones they can refurb...or decreased sales ...probably the latter

Sent from my Droid

Ive heard this comment several times. The comment that was made in Youtube was unprofessional, but it was made by someone that obviously gave their personal opinions. Granted the person was representing Motorola at the time, but thats just the wrong place to look for that PR. That person's job was kind of in the PR department, but are you guys really going to hold a grudge for some worker that makes a side comment? If Motorola actually made a press release and said bluntly that if hackers want an unlocked phone then head somewhere else then I'd probably have the same reaction as the quote above but this comment was made by the wrong person in the PR department and in the wrong place. The person is probably a low level employee that was in charge of going through Youtube comments and raising peoples spirits about the phone. I think this whole situation was blown out of proportion. Its kind of like if a Marine is in uniform and he gets asked a question. He is seen as representing the Marines because he is in a Marine uniform but he probably doesn't have any authority to answer the question. But if he does answer the question through his personal opinions, then the News wont care, they will post it as hey, The marines said this "blah blah".

Maybe it was just one guy who wasn't authorized but it is obvious from the actions their company has taken that it is the sentiment of Motorola. They continue to try to lock down their devices more showing that they are against modding and until they release another unlocked phone it is clear that users who want their unlocked phones should go elsewhere just like the PR person said. Plus they are paying this person to interact with the public on their behalf so they should have either given their employees clear guidelines about how to address comments about modding or be prepared to take the heat when people don't like what their employee said on their behalf. If they show through their actions that they are not against modding (by releasing another unlocked phone) then I will believe that they do not agree with this employee's statement but until they show otherwise I will continue to believe that this is their stance.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Bye Motorola. Not like its the only phone on market. Kinda stupid to brag about removing a feature on your flagship phone. I have no loyalty to moto....plain and simple...if they don't provide what I like buy a different brand...sales goes down for them ...so its their own problem.
What's greater fiscal burden ..few returns of bricked phones they can refurb...or decreased sales ...probably the latter

Sent from my Droid

Ive heard this comment several times. The comment that was made in Youtube was unprofessional, but it was made by someone that obviously gave their personal opinions. Granted the person was representing Motorola at the time, but thats just the wrong place to look for that PR. That person's job was kind of in the PR department, but are you guys really going to hold a grudge for some worker that makes a side comment? If Motorola actually made a press release and said bluntly that if hackers want an unlocked phone then head somewhere else then I'd probably have the same reaction as the quote above but this comment was made by the wrong person in the PR department and in the wrong place. The person is probably a low level employee that was in charge of going through Youtube comments and raising peoples spirits about the phone. I think this whole situation was blown out of proportion. Its kind of like if a Marine is in uniform and he gets asked a question. He is seen as representing the Marines because he is in a Marine uniform but he probably doesn't have any authority to answer the question. But if he does answer the question through his personal opinions, then the News wont care, they will post it as hey, The marines said this "blah blah".

that's what i said. i wouldn't take the words of some dude answering youtube comments as gold. he was clearly having a bad day and spoke out of turn. i dont take that to mean that's what all of motorola thinks. they might not care about rooters, but they're not going to tell their customers to go screw themselves....

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

Maybe it was just one guy who wasn't authorized but it is obvious from the actions their company has taken that it is the sentiment of Motorola. They continue to try to lock down their devices more showing that they are against modding and until they release another unlocked phone it is clear that users who want their unlocked phones should go elsewhere just like the PR person said. Plus they are paying this person to interact with the public on their behalf so they should have either given their employees clear guidelines about how to address comments about modding or be prepared to take the heat when people don't like what their employee said on their behalf. If they show through their actions that they are not against modding (by releasing another unlocked phone) then I will believe that they do not agree with this employee's statement but until they show otherwise I will continue to believe that this is their stance.
Im sure they do go to a class or are given guidelines, Maybe he just lost his cool for a sec? When emotions take over, forget rules. Although, if i was Motorola, id be spanking that employee about now. Wasted whatever they did have in effect, id reput him through the class.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Im sure they do go to a class or are given guidelines, Maybe he just lost his cool for a sec? When emotions take over, forget rules. Although, if i was Motorola, id be spanking that employee about now. Wasted whatever they did have in effect, id reput him through the class.

yeah there's no way for motorola to enforce rules and guidelines like that. and it's not like this is the first time a company has apologized for the behavior of their employees. it happens sometimes, i wouldn't take it to mean that motorola is some dictatorship who hates all rooters and devs...it was a nobody at motorola who was pissed about something making an offhand comment and there's no way his bosses didnt let him hear it for that...

joker402

Reaction score
Not to worried about it, I mean so far my Dx has been very customisable to MY NEEDS. Theme? Check, Root? Check, Overclock? Check. Customer Blurless ROM? Check.

I sell these phones everyday and I only get 1 person once in a blue moon, that knows anything about rooting and hacking and custom roms. They will sell, after all look at the Iphone, it is relocked down after every software update and yet it sells. Of course theres other reasons to its sales but if apple LOCKED it down to kingdom come, it wouldnt matter.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Motorola will produce what is in demand and we are too small of a population to have a large impact. So let's move on to a manufacturer that isn't taking away what we want.

GodfatherIP

Reaction score

I'm sure they disciplined the poor employee (probably even fired him) since he is a PR rep and instead of helping them he just made a bunch of customers mad. However if you worked at McDonalds and someone asked for a burger with no mustard and you said heck with that, if you don't like mustard you should just head over to Burger King and have it your way" they would be fired too. However McDonalds official policy is that you can get a burger with no mustard if you want whereas at Motorola you can't get a phone with an unlocked bootloader if you want. Hence through their actions they are showing that at the core they support the employee's basic sentiment (except of course for the part about buying your phone from their competitors). What ever happened to companies trying to give the customers what they want? I don't hear a lot of people clamoring for a locked bootloader, like "OMG I feel so safe and secure knowing that my phone has a locked bootloader and won't be able to run custom roms or kernels and I am stuck with whatever crappy bloatware Motorola puts on my phone, isn't that great."

Last edited by a moderator:

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Some of us are getting bent out of shape over nothing. Sure the D1 was a ground breaking device when it came out, but that doesn't mean the some other new device from another manufacturer can't equal the D1 in terms of openness.

GodfatherIP

Reaction score
Not to worried about it, I mean so far my Dx has been very customisable to MY NEEDS. Theme? Check, Root? Check, Overclock? Check. Customer Blurless ROM? Check.

I sell these phones everyday and I only get 1 person once in a blue moon, that knows anything about rooting and hacking and custom roms. They will sell, after all look at the Iphone, it is relocked down after every software update and yet it sells. Of course theres other reasons to its sales but if apple LOCKED it down to kingdom come, it wouldnt matter.

Yeah but they don't have a competitor selling unlocked iphones with the exact same software plus more freedom.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I wouldnt be surprised if moto was smart and exploited the hacking community. They want money from EVERY BODY. If they can take the same technology and give average people blur and hackers a stock android phone I am sure they may be looking into that. But again time will tell things change so quick in the technology world.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
If the primary reason for a locked bootloader is to avoid people sending back bricked phones because of their mistakes, then maybe Moto should have two different models a locked and unlocked bootloader version. Obviously people with unlocked bootloader version would be entitled to some type of different warranty if any.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I think I can wait a few more months for HTC to create a dual core version and jump on that during the Xmas holidays despite being elgible for a upgrade in July. Personally I don't want a phone that is like everybody else phone.

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
upset

It's disappointing because I'm sure like myself, many other owners of the D1 were looking forward to a "Droid 2". You know, another groundbreaking android smartphone from Moto with the openness of the D1 matched by awesome hardware specs, and design.

At the end of the day, most people that will purchase the phones won't be upset or disappointed by this. Actually at the end of the day, i know it won't bother me enough to move onto another brand.

At the end of the day... I will scoop up the Bionic as soon as it is available from Verizon.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^How is Moto telling you the opposite? We all have access to AOSP website. Any one of us could go there and start compiling it.

i'm not sure i understand this...?? yes, you are free to compile your own ROM from AOSP code. but what good is a ROM if the phone you bought and paid for will brick itself if you try to run it?

The thing is....a locked or unlocked bootloader is not listed as a feature of this phone.

The poster said Android is open source, Moto is telling us the opposite. They not. They telling you if you want to do that on this phone, it will be difficult next to impossible.

Google has a developer phone, the ADP2.
ADP2 phone now available to developers – Android and Me

Yea...its made by HTC. lol And really, Moto could pull the Droid 1 card and say if you want to develop using one their phones, the Droid 1 is still available.

Ppl forgot about what HTC did or try to do with the G2 a few months ago....if no one woulda bypassed their lock we would talking about HTC right now too. It was looking hopeless for a few weeks too.

See, even HTC tries to lock down their phones. Moto just did a better job than others.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
language filter is there for a reason guys : )

Please don't by pass it...thanks!!