Motorola Tells Customer to “Buy Elsewhere” if They Want Custom ROMs

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Preach2k, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Coolsaber57

Coolsaber57 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't believe I'm going to say this, but Motorola needs to take a cue from Microsoft and encourage hacking of their product.

2. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    absolutely not. are you kidding me? what you're saying is the very definition of entitlement. motorola doesn't owe you anything because you decided to do something that they warned you about. this is like you drinking and driving and crashing your car and harboring a grudge against your car dealership for not including a breathalyzer built into your steering wheel (what you call a "Gotcha"). you know the risk your taking, why should motorola pay for your foolishness? the nerve of some people is ridiculous...

3. magma_camel

magma_camel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i cant belive he acctualy said for people to buy elsewere. what kind of idiot is he there lifeline is people buying there products. you dont go and tell people to NOT buy them cus they dont do what you want them to

4. UltraDroid

UltraDroid Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +552
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 3, straight stock
    Dude, re-read my earlier post. I did not say that Motorola should pay me money. I explained that *I* paid the money to have my Droid X put back together again. I repeat my last sentence from the previous post " We have no reason to harbor a grudge towards Motorola and Verizon?" My point is that the presence of their eFuse caused the lockup, I paid to have it fixed and now harbor a grudge - ill feelings, strong dislike - for Motorola, I don't want them to pay me any money, and my original post made no implication of that. I simply wish them very bad luck in all future business dealings, and will never spend any of my money on their products in the future.

5. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Dude, re-read my post. I didn't say that you said Motorola should pay you money. I said it's not Motorola's fault, or problem that you bricked a device which you knew had an efuse and which you knew would void your warranty if you messed with it. Whether or not you have any ill will or feelings toward motorola has nothing to do with it. it's not their fault at all. it's 100% your fault that you had to pay some guy to fix your phone.

6. UltraDroid

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +552
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 3, straight stock
    OK, last comment I am going to make on this subject, in this thread, as it's getting too testy for my tastes: This is a quote from your earlier post "why should motorola pay for your foolishness? the nerve of some people is ridiculous..."

THAT was the reason for my observation about money and Motorola.

-Mike

7. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    ah ok, i apologize for that. in your case ok it's just ill will, and like i said that's something your entitled to.

8. bazar6

bazar6 Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Good points about people hacking and bricking then not claiming responsibility. I think that is a low blow to the company that makes the phone you "love so much." They do pass on their losses in the price for us, and you have a choice: to either pay it, or switch to another manuf. And back to the hacking part; I wouldn't mind a locked bootloader for, lets say, a one year warranty, where I can't do anything but OTAs. Then, after that year is up, the bootloader can be unlocked, and I can hack as I please, and if something screws up, it's on me.

New stance I think should be taken: Give us the phone with a XX month long warranty. Once the warranty is up, we can choose to unlock the bootloader, but under complete understanding that if something gets screwed up, they are not held responsible. I'd say a year, just to make sure they get all of the kinks out of the OS and hardware, and preferably we could change the term at sign up, but that's a ton of changes they'd have to make, which I don't see happening anytime soon/at all.

I waited over a year to root my phone, because a) I was scared to brick it (I know [now], the Droid 1 is pretty much impossible to brick), and b) I knew if I hacked and bricked within my warranty, they wouldn't replace it.

Oh, and a little side note (and my $.02 on this): marketing has turned drastically to social and peer-to-peer. Marketing companies know (look at any new stat) that you will trust the word of your friend, family member or co-worker, far more than any commercial. Yea, they're ad campaign with VZW was freakin' huge, and undoubtedly counted for a good bit of the total sales of the droid, but in the end, they know, that if they make a lot of customers unhappy (like the Samsung deal that's going down right now), it's going to come back to them from their other "loyal" customers, who have turned on them saying "dump this manuf. because of that and go to them" sorta deal.

9. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Silver Member

Ratings:
    +640
    This settles it. I will be going with the HTC Thunderbolt over the Droid Bionic.....

10. UltraDroid

Staff Member

Ratings:
    +552
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 3, straight stock
    ... as am I.

-Mike

11. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    This.

If 256-bit AES encryption is cracked, it would LITERALLY be a threat to national security.

12. Dan_08

Dan_08 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Point..........(far from it).............you.

Never said we are fully responsible for the popularity of the device. All I am saying is we are a larger contributing factor than most give credit.

Why would moto back track so fast? Only hackers saw the lame post. If what u are saying is so completely true then moto could of gave us the fimger again and said eff it, plenty other people willing to impulse buy because of Commerials that say (((Droid)))!

Done with this topic...

Sent from my Sourcery using DroidForums App