Motorola Olympus/ Etna Rumors, Information & Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

2005CTS

Reaction score
Great device - but on at&t :(

I hate to break it to you...but when the iPhone4 launches on VZW next month, VZW's service is going to tank worse than AT&T's did. VZW is already stretched thin with the huge demand from the ever growing Droid line. I suspect that the new demand from the iPhone will level the playing field between AT&T and VZW.

So...with that in mind...being able to get the Olympus on AT&T won't have any negative drawbacks unless you have to have the LTE version.

Article on Android Central raising the same question...

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-phones-use-most-data-blame-cameras

Last edited:

Vanilla Ice

Reaction score
This is going to be a Droid device right?? I read a while back that the AT&T Tegra 2 version will not be as good as the Verizon's Tegra 2 version. But nothing was said about verizons Motorola Etna being a droid.

2005CTS

Reaction score
This is going to be a Droid device right?? I read a while back that the AT&T Tegra 2 version will not be as good as the Verizon's Tegra 2 version. But nothing was said about verizons Motorola Etna being a droid.

Link please.

Asside from the LTE and Droid branding - the hardware has been rumored to be the same. For those that don't have LTE or want the LTE data pricing - the AT&T version should be the same.

Vanilla Ice

Reaction score

Link please.

Asside from the LTE and Droid branding - the hardware has been rumored to be the same. For those that don't have LTE or want the LTE data pricing - the AT&T version should be the same.

If Verizon's has LTE ready then it has already out did the Olympus. hmmm. I'll try to find the link. I read it about 3 months ago.

ChuckG73

Reaction score
Can we stop bringing up the iPhone in non iPhone threads........this is getting annoying!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The GSM phones come first because GSM is the world standard (though China and India are changing that rapidly). However, Verizon doesn't mind all that much because the longer development cycle for CDMA versions of the phones means quirks that develop on the GSM phones can be ironed out for the CDMA version.

And for the whole "service tanking" thing, Verizon already has a stronger network than AT&T and is expanding. AT&T is counting its money. Verizon is rolling out LTE and the iPhone, assuming it hits, will be LTE-capable. That means the 3G network will shortly start to have less demand placed on it.

However, I have the feeling my logic and reason may not be welcome here. :)

2005CTS

Reaction score
The GSM phones come first because GSM is the world standard (though China and India are changing that rapidly). However, Verizon doesn't mind all that much because the longer development cycle for CDMA versions of the phones means quirks that develop on the GSM phones can be ironed out for the CDMA version.

And for the whole "service tanking" thing, Verizon already has a stronger network than AT&T and is expanding. AT&T is counting its money. Verizon is rolling out LTE and the iPhone, assuming it hits, will be LTE-capable. That means the 3G network will shortly start to have less demand placed on it.

However, I have the feeling my logic and reason may not be welcome here. :)

You are right...when the LTE network is fully rolled out in 2013 - and all smart phone users at VZW are using LTE then the 3G network will have less demand on it.

Except one thing. Your logic assumes no additional growth on their 3G network. Well - over the next two years VZW will continue to develope and sell 3G smart phones and even in their current LTE launch markets many will opt to buy a cheaper 3G device.

Sorry...their 3G network will remain stetched for quite some time.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I'm not saying that their network won't expand. Heck, they put a tower up a couple miles down the road from me. What I'm saying is that Verizon is expanding at the moment, and not just LTE; they're putting up 3G towers left and right as well. They're anticipating their demand and building already.

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I'm not saying that their network won't expand. Heck, they put a tower up a couple miles down the road from me. What I'm saying is that Verizon is expanding at the moment, and not just LTE; they're putting up 3G towers left and right as well. They're anticipating their demand and building already.

How did you like the Podcast?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
That's next on my to-do list right after I get a couple of small things taken care of. Start listening in about ten minutes.

Do you personally really think the LG phones we've heard about are any real competition for the Etna? (Olympus doesn't count since it's AT&T. ;))

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Do you personally really think the LG phones we've heard about are any real competition for the Etna? (Olympus doesn't count since it's AT&T. ;))
I'm not him but if you WERE to ask me : ) I would say yes. Tegra 2 in a LG or Samsung is definitely competition. That LG Star is pretty sharp.

Then there are the Samsungs with the Dual-Core Orion which I think can do some damage. Motorola/LG/Samsung are the manufactures to watch next year.

Samsung Stealth is going to be a beast as well. Moto has some all stars taking the field with them in 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.