Motorola Olympus aka "Terminator" Spotted!

69copo

Reaction score
Just spoke with a VZW rep on the phone. She said tat there are no incentives to current Droid owners who want to make the jump from 3G to LTE. So it looks like I'm gonna have to pay outta pocket big time for the Terminator. I hope Big Red comes up with some thing for us though.

corman324

Reaction score
It will work on all data networks offered by Verizon. 1X, 3G, 4G, and wifi.

Sent from my D1 on UD2.1 @ 1Ghz

It will work on all VZW networks, but the question is, will they let you pay for and use only 3G if you so desire. If they follow Sprint's lead, they won't. This also assumes VZW Will charge extra for 4G. I'll be stunned if they don't.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

yeah i should have been more clear..that is actually what i meant. im not trying to pay tiered for LTE. they have some absurd prices for it and im fine with using 3G right now.

i only want and need 3G so if anyone knows if VZW will allow you to choose (exclusively) which data network we want to use, thatd be great.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just spoke with a VZW rep on the phone. She said tat there are no incentives to current Droid owners who want to make the jump from 3G to LTE. So it looks like I'm gonna have to pay outta pocket big time for the Terminator. I hope Big Red comes up with some thing for us though.

Well, I'm only speculating but I fully expect early upgrades for all the D1 owners. My thinking is VZW wants LTE to be a huge success and they will do all they can to pump subscribers by converting Droid users from 3G. Plus, if the IPhone finally does come they will want to free-up some capacity on 3G by converting all who want to to LTE.

And I believe you can always get a deal simply by extending your current contract for a year or two. That should make no difference to VZW if you want to tack on an additional 2 years to the end of your contract to get an upgrade.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
It will work on all data networks offered by Verizon. 1X, 3G, 4G, and wifi.

Sent from my D1 on UD2.1 @ 1Ghz

It will work on all VZW networks, but the question is, will they let you pay for and use only 3G if you so desire. If they follow Sprint's lead, they won't. This also assumes VZW Will charge extra for 4G. I'll be stunned if they don't.

yeah i should have been more clear..that is actually what i meant. im not trying to pay tiered for LTE. they have some absurd prices for it and im fine with using 3G right now.

i only want and need 3G so if anyone knows if VZW will allow you to choose (exclusively) which data network we want to use, thatd be great.

No one knows yet but if they go the route that Sprint is going then your answer is no.

bbtkd

Reaction score

Well, I'm only speculating but I fully expect early upgrades for all the D1 owners. My thinking is VZW wants LTE to be a huge success and they will do all they can to pump subscribers by converting Droid users from 3G. Plus, if the IPhone finally does come they will want to free-up some capacity on 3G by converting all who want to to LTE.

And I believe you can always get a deal simply by extending your current contract for a year or two. That should make no difference to VZW if you want to tack on an additional 2 years to the end of your contract to get an upgrade.

Not sure it really matters about getting users from 3G to 4G as far as the bandwidth contention. I doubt they will run separate internet lines to a cell site when they are running 3G and 4G. When they add 4G to a site they would probably increase the bandwidth of the single feed and run both 3G and 4G on it. Then later eventually drop 3G service.

shdowman

Reaction score

Why would they allow early upgrades for D1 owners? Did they allow it when the X came out? Or the D2? Does Apple allow you to get a new iPod 5 months after you got one and a new model is released? VZW cares nothing whether you get an upgrade or not. That is why nothing new is coming before the holidays. They lock everyone in to two years and release new tech two months later. They only allow for upgrades after a year of a two year contract. And that negates your NE2. Don't count on any special deals from them whatsoever.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why would they allow early upgrades for D1 owners? Did they allow it when the X came out?
Actually they did allow quite a few customers "early upgrades" when the DX was released, some not even six months into their contract - VZW was sending out letters and emails, even Droid X t-shirts offering early upgrades - so I wouldn't be surprised

Reaction score
dual video output

I'm suprised not more has been made of this.

Display Subsystem
True dual-display support
Maximum display resolutions supported:
1080p (1920x1080) HDMI 1.3
WSXGA+ (1680x1050) LCD
UXGA (1600x1200) CRT
NTSC/PAL TV output

for someone like me who has a sling box and wants to stream hd to my phone and then to the tv in my hotel room or where ever i am around the world this is huge. I know there was an ap awhile back that could do this but it was later taking down. This TRUE DUAL display is just what I am looking for.

bug_monster

Reaction score
I'm suprised not more has been made of this.

Display Subsystem
True dual-display support
Maximum display resolutions supported:
1080p (1920x1080) HDMI 1.3
WSXGA+ (1680x1050) LCD
UXGA (1600x1200) CRT
NTSC/PAL TV output

for someone like me who has a sling box and wants to stream hd to my phone and then to the tv in my hotel room or where ever i am around the world this is huge. I know there was an ap awhile back that could do this but it was later taking down. This TRUE DUAL display is just what I am looking for.

Doesn't slingbox only work to your phone? I'm pretty sure it can't be output over HDMI, but I may be wrong. Not sure if rooting even helps - it may be a built-in hardware limitation to meet the requirements of the HDMI implementation contract. DLNA may be able to do it.

B

BUFFALOMADMAN

Well for everyone that wants to think that they get an early upgrade because of a new phone is not right. The only thing that VZW does is that it willl upgrade you a month early nothing earlier than that. So lets Say My upgrade is Dec. 28 they will more likely do it for me if I went in there and told them my situation and this is coming from a VZW rep. They will not let you upgrade 2 + months in advanced so sorry facts are not correct

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Well for everyone that wants to think that they get an early upgrade because of a new phone is not right. The only thing that VZW does is that it willl upgrade you a month early nothing earlier than that. So lets Say My upgrade is Dec. 28 they will more likely do it for me if I went in there and told them my situation and this is coming from a VZW rep. They will not let you upgrade 2 + months in advanced so sorry facts are not correct

It's happened in the past. Anyway though I don't care whether they let me upgrade early or not cause I'll just pay full retail. That way when my upgrade comes in November I can just sign a one year contract and upgrade every 10 months.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hate to inform you, but you are wrong - VZW did in fact let people upgrade early when the DX was released - they were sending out Multimedia messages directly to peoples mobile devices containing a Video that said "Come in and get your X today" and some members weren't even six months into their two year contract - so we all experienced it first hand here on the forum as it was a Hot Topic of discussion

shdowman

Reaction score
I hate to inform you, but you are wrong - VZW did in fact let people upgrade early when the DX was released - they were sending out Multimedia messages directly to peoples mobile devices containing a Video that said "Come in and get your X today" and some members weren't even six months into their two year contract - so we all experienced it first hand here on the forum as it was a Hot Topic of discussion
That is true. I do recall that now. But I doubt they would do that again...but what do I know.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
CES can not come quick enough. This is a bad time for all of those with the DROID 1 who have an annual upgrade and are ready to make a switch.

I'm strongly considering sneaking into CES, beg/borrow/cheat/steal an invite any way possible!

If you think it's a bad time for people with a D1 sitting on an annual upgrade, how about those of us on a 2-yr plan who don't know if we'll be granted an early upgrade?

This looks like my next phone, but I just don't know as it seems like all 3 are going to be excellent options and will require some extensive playing around to figure out what is best.

But this thing is just sick. Those specs don't seem remotely believable - talking about 140 hours of mp3 playback, 1080p recording and output. Seems maybe they are confusing hardware capabilities with what the phone will really be even with Gingerbread. But basically that hardware is comparable with laptops from about 4 years ago. I mean, hook it up to your HDTV and get a bluetooth keyboard app and you surf in style on a "jury-rigged" netbook with a 50" screen! For all of those who lug laptops around for business there are some real possibilities here just using this device with a monitor and keyboard and cloud computing.