NVIDIA Announces 'Phoenix' Reference Smartphone Board with LTE Tegra 4i Chip

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 19, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,746
    [​IMG]

NVIDIA had an intriguing announcement this morning. They shared both a new chip and a new reference mobile phone motherboard design. The new chip is a Tegra device but with an LTE modem integrated. It's called the Tegra 4i and is positioned to be a "Snapdragon killer." While that remains to be seen, the architecture advancements are impressive when you take note that this was co-developed with ARM to make it both power efficient and fast. When you dig a little deeper you see that this chip is a super-enhanced version of the Tegra 3 but with an LTE modem integrated. This is still a pretty impressive achievement, and we look forward to seeing what it can do. As you can see above in the pic, NVIDIA and ARM claim the chip is faster than the Qualcomm Snapdragon Krait S800 by a large margin.

The other product they are launching is called "Phoenix" which is a reference motherboard design for mobile smartphones. It's basically a "kit" phone which includes a full mobile motherboard with integrated Tegra 4i that OEMs can license to build a complete phone out of the box. This will likely be seen in a slew of mid-range and budget-friendly devices in the future. Here's the full press release,

2. hotice

hotice Member

Ratings:
    +18
    My understanding is the Snapdragon Quad-core processors (Pro, 600, 800) run on any number of cores as needed - 1, 2, 3, or 4. I'll take that over one or four any day. Also, I saw a comparison of architectures and ARM Cortex A15 used a lot of power compared to other designs like A9 and Krait. A15 may be the fastest, I'm not sure.

I'd like to see a comparison of showing power used and time required for a given task across A9, A15, and Krait. I have no doubt the new Tegra 4 processors are fast but for a phone we're almost to the point where power consumption is more important than speed (everything from a dual-core Snapdragon S4 plus and faster seems fast enough for what most people do).

Search tags for this page
contact vidifam.org
contacto@vidifam.org
i4 tegra

mail vidifam.org

tegra 4i