Moto Droid calling people in the middle of the night

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I noticed when you add an app there's a disclaimer that comes up telling you the app will have access to "contacts" etc etc etc. My droid hasn't called anyone but i'm not adding any apps until this thing has been resolved.
you jacked my AV:angry:

jk:icon_ banana:

metalmenance

Reaction score
I'm seriously starting to think those commercials were not a joke. These devices really might be "waking" up. Sort of like War of the Worlds...I think I may return mine to VZW and just get a flip phone.

I just locked my Droid in a safe. Not risking anything.........

In a weird way, how freakin cool would it be!!! :motdroidhoriz:aint lockin mine up, want to watch it happen..............:gotmyvote::yeahbaby01::byestorm:

ajmast

Reaction score
I am having the same problem, 2 questions:
1. Do you have a screen protector on?
2. Are you using the charger that came with the phone?

k-bueno

Reaction score
This has happened to me as well. When you hang up be sure to exit out of the call screen. I think what's happening is that it goes to your call log screen after you hang up. Seems when the screen times out it doesn't lock? and perhaps is dialing the last log number?

heem

Reaction score
This is a little unsettling. Filtering out the humor from the real incidents of this happening, I'm beginning to suspect that some of these apps are doing nefarious things. When you install and see that an app wants access to your phone.. is there a way to deny it? maybe an advanced settings editor? Also, I wonder if we can create debug logs some how and really monitor what is going on.

heem

Reaction score
I've just installed the app "Sendlog" (free in market) - you can send logs to your email address. I'd recommend anyone having the night calling issue to get this app and get a look at the logs. Perhaps post relevant parts here if you don't know how to understand the logs and we can all get a look at it.

Lafond

Reaction score
Isn't this how the movie iRobot played out...creepy.

Every phone I've ever had ends up making 3am calls that I don't remember making, but only after heavy alcohol consumption.

Frontrunner

Reaction score
The touchscreen on my LG enVTouch was constantly self-activating while in a belt hoslster with a magnetic flap-catch. I replaced the magnet with some stick-on velcro, and the problem has not recurred. I have seen some web chatter about holster magnets causing "pocket calls".

DroidFan

Reaction score
The touchscreen on my LG enVTouch was constantly self-activating while in a belt hoslster with a magnetic flap-catch. I replaced the magnet with some stick-on velcro, and the problem has not recurred. I have seen some web chatter about holster magnets causing "pocket calls".

I've heard about those too... however, my Droid was sitting on my countertop when I got the mischievous calls at 3:00 am. I think it was more the VZW network running random tests, but still 3 calls that early in the morning wasn't a fun night's sleep... just glad it hasn't happened since.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't this the same discussion as the Rouge Droid thread? Didn't we narrow it down to after market chargers?

or are these phone still doing these things off the charger?

DroidFan

Reaction score
Isn't this the same discussion as the Rouge Droid thread? Didn't we narrow it down to after market chargers?

It was doing it on a OEM charger (I don't use after-market chargers) and off the charger on that specific evening...

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

It was doing it on a OEM charger (I don't use after-market chargers) and off the charger on that specific evening...

was just wondering.... weird stuff. at least with the non OEM chargers there was a little reason behind why it would be misbehaving... now it's just getting creepy! :icon_eek: LOL

DroidFan

Reaction score
was just wondering.... weird stuff. at least with the non OEM chargers there was a little reason behind why it would be misbehaving... now it's just getting creepy! :icon_eek: LOL

TOTALLY agree with you there!! :icon_eek::icon_eek:

gpigate

Reaction score
mine stopped when I changed the charger. It did it 2 nights in a row. It was on a cheap charger I bought from ebay. A lot of others have had this issue. Once I stopped using THAT charger, it quit

jaste

Reaction score
The charger provided with the phone is spec'ed at 5.1V at 850mA. It's kinda hard to read but it is printed on the charger, I used a magnifying glass to read it. USB 2.0 power is spec'ed at 5V +/-10% at 500mA. It does make sense that a third party charger that meets USB 2.0 could produce <5V with a Droid and make it go bonkers. The "high power" chargers should work better.