Droid Makes Nightly Phantom Phone Calls

PaulaSLC

Reaction score
Hello Droid X Forum, Last night my phone rang at 4:30 am. waking me from a sound sleep. It was one of my phone contacts. I said "did you just call me?" and they said "YOU called me!". My phone has a mind of itself and phones people while I'm unaware. It was plugged directly into a wall socket all night charging. Needless to say, this is quite inappropriate! Is there a fix for this bug? My friends are NOT happy about getting phones calls in the middle of the night! PLEASE HELP!

dancedroid

hobby31

Reaction score
Are you using the charger that came with the phone or an aftermarket one? There are known issues with an aftermarket charger sometimes affecting the touch screen.

OP
P

PaulaSLC

Reaction score
Droid X Makes Phantom Phone Calls

It's an aftermarket - Wireless Gear. I'm out of town at the moment, but when I get home, I will only use a Motorola charger. I normally place the Droid X in its docking station on my nightstand, and I can't remember this happening while its there, so that's probably the problem, the charger I'm using here in Vegas. Thanks so much for your prompt response.

Have you heard of any other problems from forum users regarding phantom phone calls? Anything else I should be aware of?

zoe5

Reaction score
Driod 2 4:30 Phantom Dial

My driod 2 at 4:30 am CST bypassed password to unlock the phone, initiated voice activation, then made 2 phantom calls. Using after market RocketFish Mobile Travel Charger with no issue for about 3 weeks. Last night march 15 first incident.

Details: Phone started beeping at 4:30am and woke me up. It had started up the default voice activation app and was waiting for me to speak and that was what beeped. I have the security on the phone set to password so it bypassed that and unlocked itself. I cleared, used the App Killer to turn off everything. Within 1 minute it made a phone call and I could hear it ringing. I killed that call and it went right to another call again, killed that one and only then unplugged it from the wall and was about to take out the battery but didn't. Just unplugged.

N3EG

Reaction score
HTC Thunderbolt doing it too

I've had three phantom calls going out - two to contacts in my list, one to 911 which I've never dialed. The phone has no record of having made the calls. This happens when I'm on the charger at night. I also noticed after the last call that several apps had started themselves, and the screen was sluggish while on the charger. I closed/uninstalled the apps, one of which was TIKL, and everything is normal with the screen while charging.

More on this later if it happens again...

N3EG

Reaction score
More info

it's an old thread but it was a HUGE issue we discussed some time ago... after market chargers can create these 'phantom' issues

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...-suggestions/4081-rogue-droid-huge-issue.html

Yes, it was the charger. I bought it on Ebay from a US seller hoping to avoid problems, but sure enough, it's a cheap copy that looks and has laser etched specifications just like the real thing. I cracked the bad charger wall transformer open, and it seems to be a cheesy switching circuit regulated with one diode only. My guess is that the voltage drops under load when the phone is connected. The cord part works just fine with another USB output wall wart transformer.

By the way, at least with the HTC Thunderbolt, one way to tell a good charger from a bad one is the screen scrolling, If it stutters, you have a bad one. If it scrolls smoothly, you are OK.