Phone "mutes" in middle of call

vzwtek

Reaction score
Just because you dont see an icon, doesn't mean its not happening. Tedds droid tool is free and has solved it for people who ask me about that, so....... do whatever you want or you can just complain constantly that that is not the problem.

Dinomight

Reaction score
Fix

So i have a fix for the problem that should work on any 2.2 rom. Currently it requires you to use adb shell to remount the system partition as rw then copy over 2 apk files in to /system/app/ and then remount as r only. This is not really a big deal but i know it's not for everyone, so i am trying to package it as a zip that can be installed via clockworkmod or the rom manager. I'll post it as soon as i figure out why my zip isn't actually installing. Either way you will need to have root.
-D

spoyld

Reaction score
Been there, done that

Mine just got replaced (and upgraded) for free to a Droid 2 because of that issue. Head back to Verizon and tell them you want it replaced as it is not a fixable issue.

Let me know if I can be of more help.

Good luck.

Suzanne

Dinomight

Reaction score
Mine just got replaced (and upgraded) for free to a Droid 2 because of that issue. Head back to Verizon and tell them you want it replaced as it is not a fixable issue.

Good luck.

Suzanne

If you had this replaced and you're running android 2.2 the problem will arise again. It isn't a problem with the proximity sensor but with a change in the code in android 2.2(froyo).... below is the code inside the phone application that is causing the problem.
Code:
1156      * @param state current state of the phone (see {@link Phone#State})
1157      */
1158     /* package */ void updateProximitySensorMode(Phone.State state) {
1159         if (VDBG) Log.d(LOG_TAG, "updateProximitySensorMode: state = " + state);
1161         if (proximitySensorModeEnabled()) {
1162             synchronized (mProximityWakeLock) {
1163                 // turn proximity sensor off and turn screen on immediately if
1164                 // we are using a headset, the keyboard is open, or the device
1165                 // is being held in a horizontal position.
1166                 boolean screenOnImmediately = (isHeadsetPlugged()
1167                             || PhoneUtils.isSpeakerOn(this)
1168                             || ((mBtHandsfree != null) && mBtHandsfree.isAudioOn())
1169                             || mIsHardKeyboardOpen
1170                             || mOrientation == AccelerometerListener.ORIENTATION_HORIZONTAL);
if you look at lines 1162-1171 you will see that the screen is turned back on if you the phone goes horizontal. if you take out the following from the code
Code:
|| mOrientation == AccelerometerListener.ORIENTATION_HORIZONTAL
(line 1171) and recompile the problem is fixed. (thanks to chevy for finding the code.) I will post an update.zip file for clockworkmod recovery that fixes the issue for you.

Dinomight

Reaction score
Fix Install via Clockworkmod/Rom Manager

Ok,
I know it's a long time coming but i was finally able to package an update zip compatible with rommanager/clockworkmod recovery. Just copy to your sdcard and install the zip. Please note that this will replace your phone.apk so if you are using some customized phone dialer it will be replaced by this fixed version. Thanks to Chevy for finding the broken code.
-D

Attachments

• HorizontalProximityFix.zip
    981.1 KB · Views: 245

rocquoone

Reaction score
How?

Good luck.

Suzanne

Suzanne,

Please tell me how you managed to make this happen. I'm on my 3rd droid and my husband the 2nd droid since March of this year. Verizon has refused to upgrade us, even though they keep sending us refurbs with issues.