Moto Droid calling people in the middle of the night

av8shunmeckaneck

Reaction score
Calling by itself

Mine had been on the charger overnight until the following afternoon without being touched. It was face down and locked. My wife came out to me in the garage to tell me that my phone was pocket dialing her. Needless to say, she was very surprised to learn that I hadnt had my phone on turned on since the day before. When I checked the phone it had made about 10-15 phone called at one minute intervals. The phone had dialed my voicemail and several other numbers that should have lasted over 1 minute so this means that the phone was automatically dialing on a schedule. It has made calls by itself one other time but I noticed it after it had made only a couple of calls.

The only program that I had/have installed that others have is:
Weather Channel
Wifi on/off

I still have weather channel but removed wifi on/off because there is a better app called Power control.

Another great one that my phone did was: twice in the middle of the night it started playing youtube videos at full volume. I remember it being the day after the last shuttle launch because it played the shuttle launch FULL F*ING BLAST AT 3 IN THE F*ING MORNING!!!! The phone was locked and volume was silenced before going to sleep.

I just exchanged my phone at Best Buy. We'll see how this one does.

Good luck

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mine had been on the charger overnight until the following afternoon without being touched. It was face down and locked. My wife came out to me in the garage to tell me that my phone was pocket dialing her. Needless to say, she was very surprised to learn that I hadnt had my phone on turned on since the day before. When I checked the phone it had made about 10-15 phone called at one minute intervals. The phone had dialed my voicemail and several other numbers that should have lasted over 1 minute so this means that the phone was automatically dialing on a schedule. It has made calls by itself one other time but I noticed it after it had made only a couple of calls.

The only program that I had/have installed that others have is:
Weather Channel
Wifi on/off

I still have weather channel but removed wifi on/off because there is a better app called Power control.

Another great one that my phone did was: twice in the middle of the night it started playing youtube videos at full volume. I remember it being the day after the last shuttle launch because it played the shuttle launch FULL F*ING BLAST AT 3 IN THE F*ING MORNING!!!! The phone was locked and volume was silenced before going to sleep.

I just exchanged my phone at Best Buy. We'll see how this one does.

Good luck

i get a kick out of all the crazy stories some of you guys (and gals) are coming out with about your Droid. Not that I wanna experience the issues myself but def. an interesting read :)

Scary

Reaction score
Droid calling people on it's own!

Yep, my Droid calls people on it's own!?!?! It appears to be calling the last person I talked to. It called my daughter at 3am last night and she freaked out because there was no one on the line. She was so worried (because I never call in the middle of the night), that she called a neighbor and had him drive over to see if we were OK!!!

So does anyone have a solution to this problem???

gpigate

Reaction score
if you are using a NON oem charger stop. The charger is what caused mine to do it. Try to limit the amount of static activity. If it is not doing it during the day, it is something about its placement at night that is causing it.

cc16177

Reaction score
I checked my Droid's call log and don't see any 3am callouts. Maybe the Droid is removing those entries from the call log?

I had to look up perspicacious in the Free Dictionary app.

I was reading this thread mostly for humor so far because I have not had any problems with my Droid yet and thought it was kinda funny that people's phones were calling people in the middle of the night.

Until I read your comment.

When I woke up this morning my call log was completely empty. :icon_eek:

iJroid

Reaction score
My wifes moto droid called several people during the night as well. It was charging with bluetooth on and she also has a bluetooth headset. When I found the phone the screen was unlocked and a bag of chips was contacting the screen.

I just told her to be careful to hit the bluetooth off widget and be sure the screen is locked before going to bed.

Droids

Reaction score
My wifes moto droid called several people during the night as well. It was charging with bluetooth on and she also has a bluetooth headset. When I found the phone the screen was unlocked and a bag of chips was contacting the screen.
What do you mean "a bag of chips was contacting the screen"... was the bag wearing the bluetooth headset? That's way creepy. I could see the alarm clock wearing the headset and communicating with the Droid, but a bag of chips?

j/k heh

av8shunmeckaneck

Reaction score
So good so far

I exchanged my phone a few days ago and no funny business going on here. I did freak out the very night that I got it. I forgot to turn off the volume before bed and shortly there after, while I was half asleep, I was awoken from my slumber by "DRRROOOIIDD!!!"

Stupid spam email notification woke me up.

I got the update today. We'll see how that goes.

All good so far...

nextgen1

Reaction score
I think I know what the problem is. There is a secret call feature on the Droid. Its called 'The Drunk Call" feature.

Android

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the type of robot. For the mobile operating system, see Android (operating system). For other uses, see Android (disambiguation).

An android

An android is a robot[1] or synthetic organism[2] designed to look and act like a human. The word derives from ανδρός, the genitive of the Greek ανήρ anēr, meaning "man", and the suffix -eides, used to mean "of the species; alike" (from eidos, "species"). Though the word derives from a gender-specific root, its usage in English is usually gender neutral. The term was first mentioned by St. Albertus Magnus in 1270[3] and was popularized by the French writer Villiers in his 1886 novel L'Ève future, although the term "android" appears in US patents as early as 1863 in reference to miniature human-like toy automatons.[4]

Need I say anything more ).

PopMuzik

Reaction score
My phone case broke a couple of weeks ago, and I was shopping for a new one at the mall. The lady at the cell phone kiosk was shuffling my phone into case after case, while I was telling her that any case with a magnetic clasp wasn't a good idea. Suddenly the phone dialed the last call I had made (same here... to a business customer). Could a rogue magnet be causing the problem? That's the only time it has happened to me. Good luck!

Pop

Trip

Reaction score
Droid calling people

Apparently my Droid just called my brother-in-law by its self. The phone was sitting on my kitchen counter, I wasn't in the room at the time, there where no appliances running or lights on etc., and the phone was not on a charger, but he just called back wanting to know why I called him. I checked the call log and there is no record of a call to him, but his phone has a record of my number calling him.

I love this phone, but I cant have it calling people whenever it feels like it.

Are we any closer to figuring out why this happens?

** Edited for spelling :icon_eek:

Ted

Reaction score
Trip;91730...whenever it feels like it.[/QUOTE said:
Call me crazy, but I think its kinda cool that a Droid is aware and has feelings and might act on them. Of course, I might feel this way only because so far mine has not!

Markee

Reaction score
Nothing like that has ever happened to me... Maybe we should make a list of the applications that have been downloaded... Possibly we could compare the list between machines that have done this and track it back to some application?? Any thoughts?

Trip

Reaction score
Yes Ted, you probably would feel differently if your phone was calling anyone in your contact list at any time of day or night with no ryme or reason as to who or when or why. And to boot there is no record of it happening.

Last edited:

Ted

Reaction score
I confess, I would feel differently. At some point, hopefully soon, when you get yours all figured out and squared away, I hope that you'll be able to smile and even laugh at how unique and funny this is. I mean, how funny it is once it is no longer a problem.