Moto Droid calling people in the middle of the night

Trip

Reaction score
Apps

Trying to get a list of apps that might cause it seems like a good start. Here are the apps installed right now.

Advanced task killer free
Air Hockey
Armored Strike
ASTRO
Barcode Scanner
Beautiful Widgets
Bubble Breaker
Buka Light
CalWidget
Cinema
Documents To Go
eReader
ES File Explorer
GDE
Google Sky Map
Key Ring
Maps
Moto Torch LED
Phone My PC
Robo Defense
Screen Mode
Shop Savvy
Volume Widget

Mojo

Reaction score
normal_paranoia.jpg

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I leave my Droid on 24/7 and my Droid is in the dock overnight and i've never had any problems of it dialing people on their own. It's never texted/called/surfed the web/etc on it's own. You guys really do have rogue units.

andjarnic

Reaction score
This seems to be happening to a lot of people. This can't be some accidental one off issue. There is either an app, or some buggy code in Android itself that is causing this. OR..perhaps it's the moto droid hardware... do other Android devices from other phones do this? I don't check other forums but if it's only the moto droid, then it seems more likely hardware issues, such as the magnetic issue or something else.

GotnFX

Reaction score
Do a search on how to run the Droid in "safe mode" and see what happens..From my understanding only factory installed apps are available to be used. If the phone still acts up, it's the phone. If it runs fine, it is an app that was installed.

cyclops

Reaction score
Ok my Droid is calling people by itself too!

My Droid has called several numbers by itself from my contact list over the past two days. Cleared the log -- sitting here watching it now! I think it is alive!

Mysfit

Reaction score
Mine has made a call or two or so I was told. Both times the people called found out next day looking at missed call logs, I did see in call log short (2 seconds or less) calls were made.

60jmla

Reaction score
My Droid made about 20 random calls without me.

I teach school and today I had left my phone on the charger and gone to another classroom to work. When I returned I heard a familiar ringtone of a co-worker. I realized it was coming from my phone and looked to see Jenny's name in the calling screen. I stopped the call and then noticed that I had texts in my delivery box. I read the first one, which was a neighbor asking if I was okay... my phone had called both her home and cell. I checked my voicemail and my husband had left me a message that he couldn't understand the text I had sent him. I checked the activity on the phone log and realized that my phone had called everyone from my mechanic, neighbors, school, voicemail, even my home phone all in about 25 minutes. There were 2s and 4s by several of the numbers meaning that those had been called repeatedly. One friend texted me to say that she couldn't even use her phone for awhile because mine kept ringing in (while she was trying to teach) This was actually the second time my phone had gotten a wild hair, first time another teacher came to my room and said "you are calling me". I was in the middle of teaching and my phone was on a shelf on the charger. She said it had called her twice and that she could hear all we were saying in class.
The common denominator in each instance was that the phone was on the charger. I have saved all of the texts that it sent-- they were all symbols and characters that I guess only made sense to my Droid.
I think I am taking the phone back, just got it July 7th so I feel sure I can return it.

chrisarrington

Reaction score
My phone has never done it on the factory charger but it has done some strange things on a charger that one of my sons friends left over here. I was using it because the cord was longer but after ticking people off in the middle of the night, I decided the short one will be good enough.

60jmla

Reaction score
Charger may be the problem

My charger was also not the factory one. I had bought one of the roll up travel pad chargers that allows you to charge 4 things on one outlet by connecting to the pad. Both times that it happened, I was using that system. I plugged it in today to see if it would do it again and within a minute the phone was "possessed" and started texting friends in my contact folder.

Snoking

Reaction score
Shutter Island

We just watched the movie Shutter Island and now I do not know what to believe!!! Chris

Last edited:

jcaldwe2

Reaction score
I have 3 chargers, 2 were bought off the internet (generic) and the 3rd one is the Motorola charger that I got with the phone. When the generic ones are used, the phone sends voice mails, calls people, opens calendar events.........and so on! Definitely, the charger causes problems.

_eljayel

Reaction score
LOL, I'm sorry but your subject made me rofl :p maybe it's because it's 230am...

anyways- good luck with erm your little friend!

Reaction score
I'm happy to hear I am not the only one! I know it does seem crazy, but it really did happen and there are some people who are not happy with me because of it.

Trying to explain to people that your new phone called them during the night all by itself, just ends up making you look worse then just apologizing! At least they will just think your an ass, instead of a straight up loon.

Anyways, I have downloaded and deleted a bunch of apps, so it would be hard for me to track all apps, but some of the ones I have on my Droid are:

Advance Task Killer
Dope Wars <- Suspicious!
The Weather Channel
Mobile Buzz
Solitare
Flashlight
Astrid
Hit it lite
Madagascar
MixZing
ShopSavvy
Ultra Notes

The only one that sounds kind of shady is Dope Wars, and I did just download it last night before the invasion.... :icon_evil:

Droid X AFI Drug Dealers! :icon_ nono: