Losing data connection and calls a hardware issue or LTE tower problem?

Reaction score
with 2 seconds of googling, you could have found about a half billion threads about all LTE phones having connection probs. woulda been quicker than making this thread.

the problem lies with vzw's lte id exchange server, although many ignorantly blame their phone because it's such an inconsistent problem.

OP
MyDroid23

MyDroid23

Reaction score
Sorry if I offended you by creating this thread. I did search on on google about this problem and it is without a doubt a major problem. This is my first 4G/LTE device and coming from the 3G OG Droid I never experienced these problems before. Now that I know this is a 4G/LTE problem and not a hardware problem I am patiently waiting for an OTA to address this. It is really frustrating when consumers seem to know more about the phones than the VZW REPs. Big red did a terrible job of properly training staff and keeping them up to date with MAJOR ISSUES. That is all.

Reaction score
you didn't offend anyone. :biggrin:

you're right about vzw reps, although generally polite, they're clueless about issues most of the time. i know it's the network that's causing the probs because i have family members and friends that are engineers working on LTE networks for various carriers. there's been a few online tech articles about the cause of the problem being vzw's ID exchange server as well, but they've gone largely ignored as everyone is blaming the phone and disregarding the fact that every LTE phone vzw's offered has had the same problem.

OP
MyDroid23

MyDroid23

Reaction score
So, an OTA will not fix the problem, rather they(VZW) needs to fix ID exchange servers? That is valuable information that most don't get to hear. DancingNexus I talked to a few co-workers that own VZW 4G/LTE devices and all have said they experience the same problem since the day they purchased the phone.

Reaction score
So, an OTA will not fix the problem, rather they(VZW) needs to fix ID exchange servers? That is valuable information that most don't get to hear. DancingNexus I talked to a few co-workers that own VZW 4G/LTE devices and all have said they experience the same problem since the day they purchased the phone.

yep, you got it :D

vzw is working on it, my data/call drops are far less prevalent now than they used to be. they rushed their LTE network to market, and it's showing.

the problem is the cell tower than confirms the ID of your phone isn't confirming the ID as it should be, so it drops the signal.

ppipowerclass

Reaction score
I just returned my GNex today. The radio on it was terrible :( If i am outside at my house, i get 4g ( it's just now getting to the area where my house is ) on my Bionic, and I got 3 or 4 bars of 3g IN the house. With the GNex, I would be lucky if I even got text messages. I thought it was a problem till I read some reviews online. It seems that the radios in all Samsung phones aren't that good. I can personally vouch for this.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I disagree that the dropped signal/data issue is not a hardware problem with some Nexus phones. Unless VZW fixed the coverage in my area of living within a day, then the dropped signal/data issue I was having with my first Nexus was in fact a hardware issue. My second Nexus has not dropped data/signal ONCE yet in the 3 weeks I have had it, while my first one would drop signal/data dozens of times in one day. I even had the 4.0.4 update installed on it, it came nowhere close to fixing my issues.

There was definitely something wrong with that phone, not the network. I don't consider this a theory, I think this is fact and people who are having this same issue should indeed go try a replacement.

prey

Reaction score
I seem to have weird data connection issues also...

is this just a 4G issue or is it happening with LTE turned off also?

Next... For those of us who have problems with the microphone cutting out during a call.. this would be a hardware problem..correct? Or has something else been determined?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

captdroid

Reaction score
I seem to have weird data connection issues also...

is this just a 4G issue or is it happening with LTE turned off also?

Next... For those of us who have problems with the microphone cutting out during a call.. this would be a hardware problem..correct? Or has something else been determined?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

'Signal issues' are really a combination of problems found in Verizon's network, and Android 4.0... and possibly a weak signal exacerbating both of these. Don't know about the microphone cutting out... maybe to much background noise...

Last edited:

angelman

Reaction score
Interestingly when I first got my Nexus I had a few problems with losing data connection. Sometimes moving to 4g or 3g would fix the problem sometimes a reboot was required. The interesting bit is that my wife's Razr has been having a lot of trouble like this recently. It's got so bad I have suggested maybe she return it though that would be a last resort decision due to Verizon's infamous utterly crap returns policy (getting a reconditioned phone which can often have more problems than the returned phone).
I wonder if other phones like the Razr experience these kinds of problems like the nexus.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just returned my GNex today. The radio on it was terrible :( If i am outside at my house, i get 4g ( it's just now getting to the area where my house is ) on my Bionic, and I got 3 or 4 bars of 3g IN the house. With the GNex, I would be lucky if I even got text messages. I thought it was a problem till I read some reviews online. It seems that the radios in all Samsung phones aren't that good. I can personally vouch for this.
So,I take you have a MAXX?

cj1896

Reaction score
This phone is a piece of white hot steaming garbage. I am now returning my second one tomorrow (mailed the first one I had out this afternoon). This replacement is worse than the first model I got. I kept track and I dropped 14 calls today!!! That is unbelievably awful. I can't use it on 4g for more than 3 minutes without it dropping the signal. I tried every radio under the sun and none of them worked.

Reaction score
This phone is a piece of white hot steaming garbage. I am now returning my second one tomorrow (mailed the first one I had out this afternoon). This replacement is worse than the first model I got. I kept track and I dropped 14 calls today!!! That is unbelievably awful. I can't use it on 4g for more than 3 minutes without it dropping the signal. I tried every radio under the sun and none of them worked.

more like white hot steaming ignorance....