Data/Voice Radio Issue

element192

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I got a Galaxy Nexus (LTE) on December 15th from Costco. Last week I exchanged the phone due to a repeating issue I was having in relation to the microphone. Since the initial exchange, I have since exchanged it two more times and am on my fourth Nexus overall and it still isn't working. I've also received a new SIM card each time.

The problem is that when I go to communicate with the outside world (text, voice, data) it will work for a few minutes then it will all of a sudden tell me I have no connection and my signal will go from strong (a few bars with the 4G symbol) to completely black with no 4G logo. After 30 seconds or so the radio kind of "resets" itself and then it will work again for a few minutes. It will continue doing this even if I'm not using the phone because my battery went from fully charged to dead and turned off in less than 5 hours.

After speaking to Verizon customer service, they are "working on a solution." What I found, which is interesting, is that if I go into the Mobile Network settings and change the Network Mode from "LTE/CDMA" to "CDMA" (so no 4G connection) my phone works fantastically, no issue at all whatsoever. I even just had the phone go 1 day, 15 hours off of one charge! After that, I switched back on the "LTE/CDMA" to test it out and it immediately started the problem up again with my connection resetting. Turned it back to "CDMA" and it's back to working.

I'm still waiting to hear from the Verizon engineers, but does anyone have any experience with this? Maybe a suggestion of what the heck the problem is???

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Im feeling your pain bro.Im gonna wait for this so called (VZW)update and see what I get.Most guys are rooted and their pushin 4.0.4 with the new radios,but from what I've read about these new radios,not much better signal.So,as I waited for the nexus,I wait for this update.

OP
E

element192

Reaction score
Im feeling your pain bro.Im gonna wait for this so called (VZW)update and see what I get.Most guys are rooted and their pushin 4.0.4 with the new radios,but from what I've read about these new radios,not much better signal.So,as I waited for the nexus,I wait for this update.

With the first exchange I actually did root the phone and update to 4.0.4, no change at all whatsoever. My issue doesn't seem to be related to a "better signal" or anything. When it's working the signal is just fine, and never really decreases, the phone just seems to turn off the phone's antenna or something. It's very strange.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
This was happening to me as well, I just went in and exchanged it for another GN to see if it was truly hardware related as I am suspecting it is. So far, after having the new replaced device for about an hour, I have no completely dropped service to my knowledge. I am still within my 14 day return period, Sunday is day 14. I am going to test this exchanged one throughout the weekend between two different cities, as I am going home from school for the weekend. If I have this issue with this device as well, I think I may have to return this amazing phone for something else. As much as I would not like to, I need a reliable phone, especially if I paid $300 for it.

Wags

Reaction score
This is happening to me, too. Wifi works well but data connection is nonexistent when WiFi is off. Tried battery pull and soft rebooting, toggling Airplane Mode on and off, nothing's working.

This is my second Nexus (shipped yesteday from Asurion), pure bone stock on 4.0.2. First Nexus was damaged, never had any signal problems. I'm in Boston, full 4G connections normally. I tried using my old SIM card and Asurion's enclosed documents said the phone would activate automatically...I dunno why it won't.

Should I switch to the new SIM card that my Nexus shipped with and try to activate that?

EDIT:
Here are the details of my GN...

Signal Strength -83dBm, 4asu
(just went to -120dBm, 99asu, no change in bars)
(then went to -75dBm, 65asu)

Mobile Network Type 1xRTT:6 (popped into LTE:14 for a moment then out)

Mobile Network State: DISCONNECTED (this has been the only truly constant signal status indicator)

Last edited:

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Take it back again. It is definitely hardware related. So far my new Nexus hasn't dropped data/signal once since I got it this morning. Interestingly, it came out of the box with 4.0.1, while my first one came out of the box with 4.0.2. Also, when my old one would vibrate, it sounded like something in the device was loose and vibrating, as the vibrate was very loud. Needless to say, this new one has no problems thus far, such as losing service if left asleep too long. And the vibrate is near silent as well.

It really sucks that you have to go through so much hassle to get a working $300 phone, you'd think they'd have this stuff pretty standardized.

Troop

Reaction score
Guess I need to take mine back as well. FYI, got mine at Costco and came with 4.0.2 out of the box.